Strange Noise coming from 4770

G

Hi guys, I have a very strange issue with my PC that is starting to bother me.

When I boot up audiosurf, it loads as a windowed screen, then displays the main menu as a windowed screen. During this time, my PC ( I believe vidcard or psu) has been making a sound very similar in tone and volume to that of a spinning disc drive - so similar I checked the disc drive to see if their was a disc inside, and even when open the noise continued. Here's where it got interesting to me - the second I got a chance I full-screened the game and suddenly the noise stopped - switching back to windowed produced the noise again.
Playing other games like ME2 have produce no sound, and I have confirmed it is not my harddrive nor disc drive - the sound is definitely coming from a hard-component of my PSU or videocard. Temps are fine, and manually adjusting fan speed does not replicate the noise.

Naturally now I am second guessing every noise my PC makes, so putting this to rest would be great. Thanks for any help.

Videocard is a Gigabyte HD 4770 on a Asus M4A87TD with 530w Rosewill PSU if that helps at all.

+1 -- Since you are using a Rosewill PSU I would suspect that is the problem !!

G

Hey, Thanks for all the help - that sound is pretty much EXACTLY the sound I am hearing, so I guess that answers that. Does anyone have any clue why it only does this when on the menu of audiosurf when not full-screened? I mean, I'd figure that anytime a certain load is put on the PSU it'd make the noise, but like I said when I run ME2 on ultra I have absolutely no issues.

Also, the guy in the video claimed it was not really a problem so much as an annoyance. Is that true or should I start to think about replacing it?

It can be an issue if it just started happening when nothing in your system has changed. Some PSUs are just noisy like that though. Like I said I had an old PSU that did that for YEARS, like 4 years. It only did it at certain times in certain games. The one time I changed my graphics card and I thought it stopped, but no, it just started doing it with other games.

That PSU should be able to run the 4770 just fine so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. If it happened ALL the time I would be though.

G

Thanks for all the help

It did just start happening out of nowhere, but as far as I can tell its only in Audio Surf so I'm not going to worry about it too much. If it starts being "stranger" I suppose I'll replace the power supply and go from there.