mrtownsend

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I have a new GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H which I'm trying to use with a Raid 1 of 2x 3TB HITACHI Deskstar 0S0323. Using the Raid as my boot volume failed miserably and I couldn't even install Windows (7 Ultimate 64bit). I finally got a support response from Gigabyte that I can't use >2TB raid as my boot volume. Very well, I got a 1TB drive and successfully installed my OS, without my raid volume. But now I still can't install the raid. Whenever I configure SATA Raid from the bios ctrl+F raid utility, the computer refuses to boot Windows, and restarts at the end of the bios load.

I've installed latest bios and drivers (including raid drivers) from Gigabyte to no avail.

How do I install my 3TB Raid1 volume?

Thanks!

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Huh..."In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive." ... RAID 1 is as simple as it gets mirroring?!
ref - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3927#ov

You need to set the RAID in the BIOS. I assume both 3TB HDD are connected to the AMD A75 SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 ports.

THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE HDDS!!! BACK-UP FIRST!
BIOS:
OnChip SATA Controller -> Enabled
OnChip SATA Type -> RAID
Save & Exit = Yes

Boot
Press <Ctrl> + <F>
once in the RAID menu
press <2>

<Ctrl+C> ; to define RAID
RAID Mode ; <Space> till RAID 1 shows up
Drives Assignments ; <Arrow> to...
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Huh..."In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive." ... RAID 1 is as simple as it gets mirroring?!
ref - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3927#ov

You need to set the RAID in the BIOS. I assume both 3TB HDD are connected to the AMD A75 SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 ports.

THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE HDDS!!! BACK-UP FIRST!
BIOS:
OnChip SATA Controller -> Enabled
OnChip SATA Type -> RAID
Save & Exit = Yes

Boot
Press <Ctrl> + <F>
once in the RAID menu
press <2>

<Ctrl+C> ; to define RAID
RAID Mode ; <Space> till RAID 1 shows up
Drives Assignments ; <Arrow> to assign HDD and <Y> to select
/Do for both drives/
<Ctrl>+<Y> ; Name e.g. RAID
<Ctrl>+<Y> ; Erase and Create Array
<Enter> ; Maximum capacity
<Esc> ; Main Menu

Press <1> to View Drive Assignments

<Esc> and reboot then install the OS.

Goof Luck! :)

Solution

mrtownsend

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Thanks guys. I've decided against doing a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows in the chance that it will work. Instead I just set up software raid in Windows in about 2 minutes. Gigabyte really sucks at raid setup via bios, and flat out fails to support 3TB boot volume. My conclusion is either get an expensive raid card and do it right, or use Windows software raid (although Raid5 is NOT supported via Windows).

Have servers - you do it in your sleep. Rebuilding a damaged array is a real PITA!

However, to the average user it's very confusing at first until you do it once and 'you get it.' RAID is nice :)

I'm not a fan-boy of software based RAID it's too unstable. One thing people assume incorrectly that RAID is infallible -- it's not. If the USN Journal gets corrupted poof everything is mirrored garbage -- i.e. NAS or other 'snapshots' are needed to insure no data loss -- i.e. you still need another form of backup!!!