Asus P8Z68-V Pro - What are the correct BIOS settings for Lucid Virtu?

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Just built a system with the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard and the core i7 2600K CPU. I enabled iGPU in the BIOS and installed the latest 64 bit Virtu driver from Lucid's web site (1.2.106). I left most other settings at default. Upon login, I get an error message, something to the effect that my "configuration settings are not supported by Virtu, and Virtu is being disabled. Remember to re-enable when the problem has been addressed", but it gives no clue about what settings might be wrong. One time I also got the message: "Virtu can't run with 1 GPU's", but I have iGPU enabled, and a discrete card installed (GTX 460). I've combed through the BIOS and other than enabling iGPU, I haven't found much that I think would relate to Virtu. Does anyone know which settings are required to run Virtu? Here is my build:

CPU: Core i7 2600K

MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

RAM: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W

GPU: PNY GTX 460 1GB GDDR5

SSD: Curcial M4

HDD: 1 x Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Thank you in advance.

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Thank you. Yes I used the latest straight from their site which is 1.2.106. I'm starting to wonder now, if my intel HD graphics driver failed to install, because I didn't have iGPU enabled in the BIOS yet. I'll test when I get home.

jamfan75

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I have nearly an identical setup. I think there is a BIOS setting to make sure the on-board video is enabled. I'll check tonight when I get home. You do have the monitor cable plugged into the motherboard, not your 3d graphics card right?

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Correct, I actually tried it both ways. I'm getting video output, and the system boots up fine. It's when I log into Windows that I immediately get an error message that Virtu is being disabled, and I can't even get into the Virtu interface to mess with those settings.

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Thanks for the link. That's actually the most complete information I've seen in terms of requirements. Based on that, I'm really thinking that something must have failed when I installed the Intel graphics driver. That'll be the first thing I troubleshoot when I get home.

As far as putting it in d-mode, I can't even get that far. The Virtu disables itself sometime during the boot process, and I get the error message immediately after logging-in to Windows. When I click on the Virtu program to run it, the error message returns and I can't get in.

jamfan75

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Only thought is to get newer drivers for the Intel graphics if you have not already. I don't remember if I had to update those or not, but I do remember almost ALL of the software that came with the Asus P8Z68-V Pro had to be updated immediately. Not sure if that was one of them or not. Most of my problems were with the SRT though, don't remember any issues with VIRTU or than having to get the most recent.

I would also check the AHCI registry Start values; Start = 0 = AHCI and Start = 3 = IDE the BIOS and Windows must be the same; see -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 and note that Start = 0 http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/AHCI_Start_0.jpg

To rule-out some 'other' issue look in the Event Manager for Critical errors; see -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Event_Manager.jpg

My concern is something else might be the root cause of the error. I also assume that ALL power is connected: 8-pin CPU, 24-pin Main Power and 6-pin & 6-pin GTX 460.

BIOS for d-Mode
Initiate Graphic Adapter -> PCIE/PCI ; otherwise BSOD
iGPU Memory 64MB ; or more
iGPU Multi-Monitor -> Enabled ; required

Connect Monitor to GTX 460

jamfan75

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Try this. In your BIOS, go to the Advanced Menu. Under Advanced, select System Agent Configuration. Set Initiate Graphic Adapter to iGPU. Set iGPU Multi-Monitor to Enabled.

On another note, by chance have you have any issues with your Crucial M4 drive? I have the same drive for SRT, and initially it would have for like 15 seconds every so often. Crucial released a firmware upgrade that fixed the issue. If you have noticed some odd hanging with it, check it out.

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for your replies everyone. It turned out to be what I was suspecting. when I first tried to install the Intel HD Graphics driver it failed because I had not yet, at that point enabled the iGPU in the BIOS. When I subsequently enabled the iGPU, I was then able to install the Virtu software, but it wouldn't run, because it couldn't find the graphics driver for the CPU, and therefore thought I only had one GPU (the discrete card). I re-installed the graphics driver and rebooted, and everything is working fine. So, for anyone having a similar problem, these are the steps to follow, and in this order:

Step 1: The very first time you boot-up your new build and go into BIOS to set boot priority, enable your iGPU as well.
Step 2: Install the Intel HD Graphics driver (along with your other drivers).
Step 3: Then install the Virtu driver.

The problem I ran into, was that I tried to do step 2 before step 1, then did step 1 and step 3, without re-doing step 2. Thanks again for your comments!

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

Thanks for the help with the settings.

So far, no problems with my Crucial M4 drive (thankfully!) The first thing I did, even before installing the OS or any drivers was to update to firmware version 0009 on that drive. It seems to be working fine for me so far (lightning fast compared to my old HDD's!) Thanks for the suggestions.

PeacePC

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hi Hoopdloop I am having the same problems as you and have set BIOS first, Installed latest Intel HD graphics then latest Virtu and get the same GPU configuration message. I know the Intel update worked as my Driver has changed. I know Virtu has installed b/c it wasn't installed before. So I'm looking at the BIOS settings.

This is what I have (mainly from following posts where people had probs installing Virtu at all):

Advanced Mode / Advanced Tab / System Agent / Graphics Config

Primary Display set to IGFX (other options are Auto or PCIE or PCI ) and I only have On board graphics, no other graphics.

IGPU Mem 1024M

Render Standby Disabled

IGPU Multi-Monitor Enabled

In System (Inside Win 7) I have this listed for the HD 4000

Total available graphics mem 1760Mb
Dedicated Video Mem 1024Mb

PeacePC

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
OK Fat fingers posted that before I'd finished and I'm not allowed to Edit this post :whistle:

so to finish...

System Video Mem 0Mb (could this be it?)
Shared System Mem 736Mb

I have not got a clue.

hoopdloop

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

PeacePC

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for your reply hoopdloop. You are right about it being not so friendly all-in-all. I transcoded a vid in a QuickSync app and I'm pretty sure QuickSync wasn't involved (all cores of a 3770 CPU on 70% and quite slow). If I can't get to the bottom of this then I may well uninstall Virtu, but I will leave it for now - No too PC savvy so the least I do the better (aka less to go wrong!). Cheers.

wakemenow

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Unlike hoopdloop, I do have an after market GPU :|.. however I've come across a similar error message "your GPU settings are wrong, program is closing, don't forget to re-enable virtu after the problem is fixed", this occurs on reboot after having installed virtu, or if I try to open it manually.

My setup is ASUS P8Z77-V, i5 IVY 3570, GeForce 560Ti, Win 8 64.

Perhaps the issue is a simple one since I'm a little bit Noob, I do at least have the latest versions and drivers for the ASUS MB, GeForce, BOIS & Lucid MVP already installed.

I think the problem is that I don't know how to install two graphics drivers simultaneously, I had the PC working with the GeForce NVIDIA driver, then I removed the card and installed my onboard Intel HD graphics, which overwrites the NVIDIA driver! SO I'm left with a machine that gives no display when I re-install the GeForce, no virtu capability, and no recovery point arrghh!!

I tried to follow the manual posted in this thread, but is says in the requirements that you need both video drivers installed before progressing to the Virtu install, which is what I can't manage to do.

I also scoured the BIOS suspecting a problem setting, I have options for iGPU frequency but no explicit enable or disable option, couldn't find any PCI Ex activation setting so I assume it's all automatically detected plug'n'play, however is not detecting now that I've installed Intel HD driver, unable to find any multi GPU option either??

I followed the ASUS support tips and install dotnetFX35, and disabled windows secure boot in BIOS (I think, once again vague indirect options).

So I don't know how to successfully install Virtu MVP, or how to reclaim my graphics card functionality, since I don't know how to run two video drivers at the same time, so please, if anyone knows what I should do I'd appreciate the help, thanks... I'm going to :sleep:

wakemenow

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Unlike hoopdloop, I do have an after market GPU :|.. however I've come across a similar error message "your GPU settings are wrong, program is closing, don't forget to re-enable virtu after the problem is fixed", this occurs on reboot after having installed virtu, or if I try to open it manually.

My setup is ASUS P8Z77-V, i5 IVY 3570, GeForce 560Ti, Win 8 64.

Perhaps the issue is a simple one since I'm a little bit Noob, I do at least have the latest versions and drivers for the ASUS MB, GeForce, BOIS & Lucid MVP already installed.

I think the problem is that I don't know how to install two graphics drivers simultaneously, I had the PC working with the GeForce NVIDIA driver, then I removed the card and installed my onboard Intel HD graphics, which overwrites the NVIDIA driver! SO I'm left with a machine that gives no display when I re-install the GeForce, no virtu capability, and no recovery point arrghh!!

I tried to follow the manual posted in this thread, but is says in the requirements that you need both video drivers installed before progressing to the Virtu install, which is what I can't manage to do.

I also scoured the BIOS suspecting a problem setting, I have options for iGPU frequency but no explicit enable or disable option, couldn't find any PCI Ex activation setting so I assume it's all automatically detected plug'n'play, however is not detecting now that I've installed Intel HD driver, unable to find any multi GPU option either??

I followed the ASUS support tips and install dotnetFX35, and disabled windows secure boot in BIOS (I think, once again vague indirect options).

So I don't know how to successfully install Virtu MVP, or how to reclaim my graphics card functionality, since I don't know how to run two video drivers at the same time, so please, if anyone knows what I should do I'd appreciate the help, thanks... I'm going to :sleep: