Partition on Server 2003 System Volume

dlm555

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I have two 1TB drives I want to create a RAID1 mirror. Disk0 has my system volume for Server 2003 & Disk1 is an empty Dynamic volume.

When I cloned the original 500GB Disk0 System volume to the new 1TB Disk0, it created 1 partition, splitting the 1TB disk into two equally sized portions, each assigned the drive letter C.

I cannot merge these, nor can I delete the second portion of C. I want to mirror Disk0 with Disk1, but I want to remove the partition.

Any suggestions?

As hang-the-9 stated, there must be something wrong. Win will not assign the same drive letter to two partitions at the same time. Can you post a screen shot from disk management? What happens if you try to change the drive letter of the second partition?

dlm555

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I think when I tried to clone the original 500GB system volume to the new 1TB drive, the EaseUS software created this mess. I have attached a screen shot of drive C, Disk 1.

image1.bmp

I want to get rid of the partition and mirror with Drive 2. The RAID-5 is for my data.

I am stumped.

dlm555

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, checkdisk did not correct the partition table. Any other ideas?

popatim

Titan
LOL
Why are you cloning? Cloning copies the drive "exactly" and thats why you have a 500gb partition named C ... its what was asked for.

For raid 1 you have 2 choices.
1:Use windows software mirror function
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17926/use-drive-mirroring-for-instant-backup-in-windows-7/

or

2: use your motherbds raid 1 function if your motherboard supports this (many do). See your owners manual or let us know what motherbd you have and we'll look it up for you.