Sign in with
Your question

Partition on Server 2003 System Volume

Last response: in Storage
January 14, 2013 3:32:36 AM

I have two 1TB drives I want to create a RAID1 mirror. Disk0 has my system volume for Server 2003 & Disk1 is an empty Dynamic volume.

When I cloned the original 500GB Disk0 System volume to the new 1TB Disk0, it created 1 partition, splitting the 1TB disk into two equally sized portions, each assigned the drive letter C.

I cannot merge these, nor can I delete the second portion of C. I want to mirror Disk0 with Disk1, but I want to remove the partition.

Any suggestions?
a c 113 G Storage
January 14, 2013 12:12:36 PM

You can't have both partitions with the same drive letter, something else is going on.

You can do a raid 1 with the second drive, it just has to be the same size as the first partition when you format the second drive.
m
l
a c 86 G Storage
January 14, 2013 12:41:25 PM

As hang-the-9 stated, there must be something wrong. Win will not assign the same drive letter to two partitions at the same time. Can you post a screen shot from disk management? What happens if you try to change the drive letter of the second partition?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 14, 2013 12:57:24 PM

You should create the Raid1 with the 2 1tb drives before you transfer the operating system from the 500gb drive.
m
l
January 15, 2013 12:48:45 AM

noidea_77 said:
As hang-the-9 stated, there must be something wrong. Win will not assign the same drive letter to two partitions at the same time. Can you post a screen shot from disk management? What happens if you try to change the drive letter of the second partition?

I think when I tried to clone the original 500GB system volume to the new 1TB drive, the EaseUS software created this mess. I have attached a screen shot of drive C, Disk 1.

I want to get rid of the partition and mirror with Drive 2. The RAID-5 is for my data.

I am stumped.

m
l
a c 86 G Storage
January 16, 2013 3:11:26 PM

A bit risky, because it's you system drive, but try to run a checkdisk on it (right click on c in explorer / properties / tools. Requires restart for c). It is obviously a corrupt partition table, that windows might be able to correct.
m
l
January 18, 2013 5:56:03 PM

noidea_77 said:
A bit risky, because it's you system drive, but try to run a checkdisk on it (right click on c in explorer / properties / tools. Requires restart for c). It is obviously a corrupt partition table, that windows might be able to correct.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, checkdisk did not correct the partition table. Any other ideas?
m
l
a c 876 G Storage
January 18, 2013 10:43:26 PM

LOL
Why are you cloning? Cloning copies the drive "exactly" and thats why you have a 500gb partition named C ... its what was asked for.

For raid 1 you have 2 choices.
1:Use windows software mirror function
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17926/use-drive-mirrorin...

or

2: use your motherbds raid 1 function if your motherboard supports this (many do). See your owners manual or let us know what motherbd you have and we'll look it up for you.
m
l
!