Opinion on displays

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am currently using a Dell U2410 as my monitor. However, I am really tired with the problems that the screen is giving me (fuzzy displays, probably due to its matte screen and also some stuck pixels and tinting). I'll call for warranty but I've totally lost confidence with my Dell display.

I am considering to purchase a 32" LCD TV instead, which is capable of giving 1080p. I will be using it for various purposes, gaming, programming and watching the market.

Is this a good buy? Or should I stick to my Dell :pt1cable: ?

Sony Bravia LCD EX400 (KLV-32EX400)

Price isn't much of an issue since I can pay by installments ;)

Oh I forgot, I'll most likely go SLI with GTX460, so gaming at 1080p isn't much of an issue.

Solution
I think geofelt explained the reason for having an lcd monitor over an hdtv: the possibility of more pixels per sq inch.

Example: you can have a 30" HDTV and a 30" monitor. If you connect your comp to the tv by component cables, you might not be able to exceed 1920x1080. With a 30" monitor, you can go as high as 2560x1600. More pixels means more high resolution.

On the flip side, I think using an HDMI cable to connect means you can use your HDTV with an ideal 2560x1600 res.

Ultimately, I'd still go with the others' advice and get a computer monitor rather than an HDTV. You can find computer monitors that have both/multiple HDMI, DVI connectors, even component; you can avoid the possibility of having compatibility issues which are...

Helltech

Distinguished
I would get an acutal monitor over a TV, unless you're going to be using the TV as a TV as well (and switching between the two).

Also, yeah I have two monitors one is a matte and one is glossy, and let me tell you the difference is HUGE. I will never go back to matte.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
+1 on Helltech's advice.

I'd get an actual monitor instead, too. Matte isn't all that bad with smaller monitor sizes, but when you go for a larger monitor, having super vibrant colors with awesome contrast/brightness is paramount. So basically, get a glossy monitor, not a matte-screen tv.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Actually, I do some web development too (hardly anymore) which was the main reason I bought U2410 in the first place after reading reviews from CNET. However, right after purchasing it, I encountered issues like ICC Profile incompatible with Photoshop CS4, blues turning purples and so on.

I just want to know, why wouldn't you guys suggest a LCD TV instead? Just curious.

Seriously though, I've learned my lesson. Stay away from matte AND DELL!

A lcd TV will be 1080P which is 1920 x 1080. For a monitor, I like more pixels. They are harder to find these days, but I think a 1920 x 1200 monitor is better. If price is not an issue, look for a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.

As to brands, I like Samsung. They make the panels for many other monitors, but I think they keep the best samples for themselves.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Hello geofelt, yea I know it will be 1920 x 1080 the whole time which I find is good enough. But of course, I'm open to opinions.

What I want to know more about is TV vs LCD monitor in terms of gaming, work (WORD, Spreadsheet), surfing and development.

HDMI is a must since I will also be using it for PS3.

Thanks.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I think geofelt explained the reason for having an lcd monitor over an hdtv: the possibility of more pixels per sq inch.

Example: you can have a 30" HDTV and a 30" monitor. If you connect your comp to the tv by component cables, you might not be able to exceed 1920x1080. With a 30" monitor, you can go as high as 2560x1600. More pixels means more high resolution.

On the flip side, I think using an HDMI cable to connect means you can use your HDTV with an ideal 2560x1600 res.

Ultimately, I'd still go with the others' advice and get a computer monitor rather than an HDTV. You can find computer monitors that have both/multiple HDMI, DVI connectors, even component; you can avoid the possibility of having compatibility issues which are more common when you connect to a tv. You can use a PS3 on it definitely. If you want to use it to watch tv, you could always buy a tuner later on.

Solution

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks markusaurileus. I didn't quite understand geofelt about I like more pixels. Thanks for making it clear. I will probably put a few 24" together. Hopefully 2x GTX460 can support up to 3.

I don't see any problem with a tv/monitor, particularly from a good quality maker like Samsung. I can even see an advantage for gaming since some of the newer sets have 120hz refresh vs. the usual 60hz.

I do not know of any monitor larger than 30" capable of 2560 x 1600.

If you need more screen real estate for watching the market for example, then just get two such displays. Plan on identical units. From experience, I can tell you that multiple mismatched units are a pain.