Dark Knight Heatsink Temp help!

strategoslc

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I've just applied the Xigmatek Dark Knight heatsink to my intel i7 950 @ stock 3ghz.
However, I'm getting temps of 35 idle and 49 load.... What gives? I'm using artic silver 5 as my thermal paste. Although, since this is my first build I might not have installed it or something correctly.. What is most likely the problem?

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Mobo: ASUS rampage 3 formula
Processor: intel core i7 050 @ 3ghz
with Dark Knight heatsink and Artic Silver 5 thermal paste

AS 5 has a req'd cure time of 200 hours or more under ideal conditions (This is stated on AS5 website). Reviewers estimate it could take up to a year to fully cure under normal usage conditions.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

4745454b

Titan
No, it needs to be cycled on and off, so that it has both hot and cool periods of time. 5c seems a bit high, it seems to me to be closer to 2c. That means he should see low to mid 40s instead of the mid 40s he has now. Its not like he'll have mid 30s when its done curing.

Ambient of 80F is probably the problem. That's 27c, so his idle temps are only 10C higher. Sounds normal to me. Load temps are about another 10C higher then that. Better case flow/fans might help.