60g Laptop Hard drive - Volume Size for C / D drives?

ellextreme

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
On a 60g harddrive (laptop), how much space (volume) should I set up for a C and a D drive? Want to put the OS on the smaller of the two...

Solution
What OS will you be running?

With a 60GB hard drive, I wouldn't worry about splitting into two partitions myself. I would just leave it as is. Since you do want two partitions, I would do at least 20GB for the OS (C) & the rest for the D Drive. 20GB will have enough room to store pretty much any OS. You could take the easy route to and just do 50/50 for two 30GB drives.

tecmo34

Administrator
What OS will you be running?

With a 60GB hard drive, I wouldn't worry about splitting into two partitions myself. I would just leave it as is. Since you do want two partitions, I would do at least 20GB for the OS (C) & the rest for the D Drive. 20GB will have enough room to store pretty much any OS. You could take the easy route to and just do 50/50 for two 30GB drives.

Solution

ellextreme

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
It's a Compaq Presario V4000 laptop (belongs to a friend of mine), NOT NEW (very little RAM - pitiful; tried upgrading / won't take more RAM). And using Windows XP Home Edition - what they had on the computer to start with.

ellextreme

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
It's been so long since I've worked on an OLD machine and the way this computer was originally set up was WHACKED. I had to guess that the smaller of the two drives (read only - in accessible) was set up with a Recovery Console???

As long as the OS is accessible for the user... thankfully I did remember (haha) to save the drivers files... I spent hours recently upgrading all her laptop's hardware to recent / best drivers.

Too many viruses on this machine to worry with. AV found over FORTY (40) different problems. Yeeesch!

Thanks for the quick response to my question. :eek:)

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005

Well he/she will have to have at least one "garbage"partition. Every hard drive must have at least one partition in order to be usable by Windows.

Perhaps that what you meant. But just a broad statement such as "partitions are garbage" is pretty silly, and shows a lack of understanding.

ellextreme

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

THANKS SlipDisc ... I really didn't know how to respond to that statement (either!).

My opinion is that my friend, pretty much a newbie user at EVERYTHING, is better off with Windows set up in a protected environment (partitioned / read only). Because I assure you, either she or her two teenagers might possibly delete a critical windows file or folder if otherwise. <--- This is why I am re-formatting this laptop now!