Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 470 help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2010 1:46:11 PM

Looking to upgrade my video card from a Radeon 4870 ... I found this card on sale at Newegg, but it ends today ... Does anyone have this card? Is that a good deal for the card? Please help! Thanks!

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card

Was: $349.99
You Save: $40.00
$309.99
(Before $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card )

Total price: $289

More about : geforce gtx 470

August 22, 2010 1:52:01 PM

That is a great card, go ahead! The price is relatively good, it's hard to find better. I bought two of those for 2795 SEK each.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 2:08:24 PM

$300 is around what these cards go for with stock clocks. I looked on Newegg and there are several models that are around the same price. There was also a combo deal for $20 if you buy StarCraft 2 if you go Gigabyte. I think the Palit was $289 without the need for a MIR and had an upgraded cooler. however it is not a blower style so you would need good case airflow. It is all preference, but this isn't a mind blowing deal, but it is good. If you are in the market and like EVGA, go for it. Many people are EVGA fans and they sometimes run more expensive than others at times.

The gtx470 is a great performer at the $300 price point. Just remember it runs hot and needs a good amount of power to run. What PSU do you have.
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 2:13:32 PM

^ That IS the best deal. Nice free game.
m
l
August 22, 2010 2:59:21 PM

jay2tall said:
$300 is around what these cards go for with stock clocks. I looked on Newegg and there are several models that are around the same price. There was also a combo deal for $20 if you buy StarCraft 2 if you go Gigabyte. I think the Palit was $289 without the need for a MIR and had an upgraded cooler. however it is not a blower style so you would need good case airflow. It is all preference, but this isn't a mind blowing deal, but it is good. If you are in the market and like EVGA, go for it. Many people are EVGA fans and they sometimes run more expensive than others at times.

The gtx470 is a great performer at the $300 price point. Just remember it runs hot and needs a good amount of power to run. What PSU do you have.

Im running a Corsair 750W PS
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:00:40 PM

jyjjy said:
This is the best deal;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Good brand for $290 - $30 MIR + Just Cause 2 + your choice of RE5, SF4 or Dark Void.

That is a nice deal .. Though I dont see the option (+ your choice of RE5, SF4 or Dark Void.) .. I just see the Just Cause 2 for free ...

Also how good is MSI? Ive never used anything from them before
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 3:06:58 PM

I believe you get a coupon to dl whatever game you want at the MSI site. If you check out the pix you will see the offer directly on the box and mentioned in a lot of the customer reviews.
MSI is considered one of the best brands both for video cards and motherboards. Their overclocking software called Afterburner is great as well and is what most use even for non MSI cards.
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:19:00 PM

jyjjy said:
I believe you get a coupon to dl whatever game you want at the MSI site. If you check out the pix you will see the offer directly on the box and mentioned in a lot of the customer reviews.
MSI is considered one of the best brands both for video cards and motherboards. Their overclocking software called Afterburner is great as well and is what most use even for non MSI cards.

Ah ok .. Thanks man .. Ive just ever used MSI ..
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:36:35 PM

Will this card run hotter in my HAF 32 full ATX case than say a Radeon 5000 series card?

Also is my 750W PSU sufficient? I will eventually be running SLI around Christmas time
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 3:54:46 PM

Well heat given off by a card is directly related to power usage so yes, the fermi cards will heat things up more than an HD5000 card as they are very power efficient. Compared to your HD4870 the GTX 470 uses about 15-20w more under load but much less at idle.
As for the PSU it depends on the brand. If it is a good one then it should be alright for SLI but I would need more info to say for certain.
m
l
August 22, 2010 7:13:48 PM

jyjjy said:
Well heat given off by a card is directly related to power usage so yes, the fermi cards will heat things up more than an HD5000 card as they are very power efficient. Compared to your HD4870 the GTX 470 uses about 15-20w more under load but much less at idle.
As for the PSU it depends on the brand. If it is a good one then it should be alright for SLI but I would need more info to say for certain.

I mentioned above .. Im running a Corsair 750W PSU
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:56:21 PM

don't mean to hijack post but it kind of fits the topic
if you had to choose between the Palit or MSI 470 which would you choose? The palit seems like it would have better cooling, but the MSI comes w/ a game. I am willing to ditch the game for better cooling tho.
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:18:24 PM

Im hoping this card will run on my Asus P5Q Pro Turbo board ..

I would choose the MSI .. But im not Tooooo concerened with cooling since I have a full size tower with plenty of fans and breathing room (Cool Master HAF 32)
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:23:31 PM

My case has six fans in it so i should also be good on cooling, but its always nice to not have an oven for a graphics card especially when I plan on going w/ SLI.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 11:35:13 PM

jscotty29 said:
Im hoping this card will run on my Asus P5Q Pro Turbo board ..

I would choose the MSI .. But im not Tooooo concerened with cooling since I have a full size tower with plenty of fans and breathing room (Cool Master HAF 32)

Your PSU should handle SLI. Two GTX 470s tend to use about 330w during normal gaming. If you plan on overclocking a lot(raising the voltage on the core) it will likely add about 50w to each card. The Corsair 750TX has 720w on the +12v rail. That should leave 300w for the rest of the system which should be more than enough, even with a large overclock on the processor.
That said if this is the motherboard you have then it doesn't seem to support SLI, just Crossfire;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think there are hacks to maybe get it working but honestly I haven't looked into it much.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:33:48 AM

the 750TX is officially supported by nvidia for running 2 470s in Sli and you should be fine if you don't go crazy with overclocks.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 12:41:26 AM

I don't think there should be a problem even with high OCs on everything.
m
l
August 23, 2010 2:01:37 AM

jrhii said:
the 750TX is officially supported by nvidia for running 2 470s in Sli and you should be fine if you don't go crazy with overclocks.

wont be a problem .. I dont know how to overclock .. Never messed with it any, and Im more of a hands on learner, and no one I know OC stuff
m
l
August 23, 2010 2:02:42 AM

jyjjy said:
Your PSU should handle SLI. Two GTX 470s tend to use about 330w during normal gaming. If you plan on overclocking a lot(raising the voltage on the core) it will likely add about 50w to each card. The Corsair 750TX has 720w on the +12v rail. That should leave 300w for the rest of the system which should be more than enough, even with a large overclock on the processor.
That said if this is the motherboard you have then it doesn't seem to support SLI, just Crossfire;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I think there are hacks to maybe get it working but honestly I haven't looked into it much.

I may just run the one card on the motherboard until I get an upgraded mobo and processor by Christmas
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:26:20 AM

jscotty29 said:
wont be a problem .. I dont know how to overclock .. Never messed with it any, and Im more of a hands on learner, and no one I know OC stuff

The card OCs extremely well(usually 25-35%) and it is very easy to do. Basically it is a simple as running a program and moving a few slider bars. Like I said that card comes with Afterburner which is the best software around and makes things very easy. Here is an article on OCing the card and what performance it can achieve;
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3252/nvidia_geforce_g...
It shows you can make the card equal to a GTX 480 while costing $150 less which is pretty sweet.
m
l
!