First build ever - Looking to spend about $1000

irishboy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
What's up everyone!

I'm new to these forums so I figured I'd take a minute and introduce myself. My xbox 360 just crapped out on me, and I'm planning on replacing it with a gaming PC rather than a new console. It's something I've wanted to do for a while now, and now I finally have the excuse to do it!

Approximate Purchase Date: End of October/Beginning of November.

Budget Range: Approximately $1000-1250 after rebates. The lower the better, but I don't mind spending more if it's truly worth it.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, but photo editing is up there in priority too. I use mainly Photoshop Lightroom 3 at the moment, but if I have the funds sometime down the road, I'd like to upgrade to a more complete version of PS. I'll probably do a little bit of web surfing as well. I have a laptop to use for schoolwork so that isn't an issue.

Parts Not Required: I need to purchase everything eventually, but for now, speaker, mouse & keyboard, and the monitor aren't included in this budget.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com is what I'm most familiar with, but I'm open to any reputable seller in the US.

Country of Origin: US of A

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

Overclocking: Maybe. I'm not computer illiterate but new to PC gaming. I definitely won't be overclocking right off the bat but it's something I'd like to keep in mind.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. See above!

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 preferably.

Additional Comments: I'm easily amused by lots of lights and bling :D Also, I'd like to "future proof" this, if you will. I don't want to plan on having to do a major overhaul/rebuild for at least 3 years.

Here is everything I've picked out so far using the little bit of knowledge I've gained via the internet. Feel to call me out if I'm overpaying/picked out a crappy product/etc.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
Cooling: Zalman 9500-A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler (Just in case I decide to overclock down the road. And it lights up. Like I said, I'm easily amused.)
Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro (This has two PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, meaning I have the option running two SLI graphics cards down the road, correct?)
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
Memory: G.Skill 6MB (3X2MB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640MB 7200RPM (I've read that black may be a better choice. Anyone care to clarify?)
DD: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS. I'm not sure if this is compatible with Windows 7 or not.
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred. I'm not sure if this case if overkill because it's so big.
Powersourse: Kingwin Lazer LZ-750 750W. I'm just kind of guestimating on what wattage I'd need. If someone could clarify this for me, that would be awesome.

Total: $1,124.90. Right in the middle of what I'd like to spend, but if I could knock a few dollars off of that price without a dip in performance, I'm all for it.

/walloftext

Thanks guys! It took me a long ass time to right this, so try to help a brother out :)

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You won't be able to do SLI on that board since the AMD chipsets don't support it. You'll need a motherboard with the nForce chipset if you want to SLI in the future. I generally try to avoid using nVidia cards in AMD builds.

Here's an AMD build for under $1k

Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion + Antec EA750 $139.99

CPU/GPU: Phenom II 955 BE + Gigabyte HD 5870 $484.98-$20 MIR = $464.98

Mobo/Win7: AsRock 870 Extreme 3 $179.98

RAM: G.Skill Eco CL7 2x2GB $94.99

HD: Seagate 1TB $69.99

Optical: Cheap SATA burner $16.99

Total: $966.92-$20 MIR = $946.92 after rebates

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

It's significantly less expensive and the 965 is just a 955 with the multiplier bumped up. The Black Edition processors have an unlocked multiplier, which means you can turn your 955 into a 965 with very little effort.