System build review

G

I'm building a system for myself, have everything, but have not put it together yet. Does anyone see any glaring issues? I was patient in waiting for deals on the components, all brand new, and kept the total cost (so far) under $1200. My concerns are Hard drive compatibilities, video card and memory/heatsink fitting:

Asus Sabertooth X58 MB
Intel core i7 950 (probably mild OC)
Antec 902 case
Antec TX750 PSU
Patriot viper series 6gb 1600
Corsair F160 SSD (for boot and maybe a game or two)
WD 1 TB caviar black sata III (I've heard of several problems getting the drive to work properly)
MSI GeForce 460GTX OC 1 GB(fermi)
Sycthe SCMG-2100 Mugen RevB H/S with 2 120mm S-FDB fans in push/pull

Some of the components I specifically wanted, while others were purchased because of a really good sale.

Solution
It's not a matter of future proofing. Mechanical hard drives can't saturate a SATA II connection, let alone a SATA III. The future proofing is simply having the SATA III on the motherboard so you can take advantage of it when good SATA III devices come out. SSDs are being released with SATA III, and they do show some performance gains. Personally, I'd get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. They're just as fast as the WD and significantly less expensive.

If the Noctua will fit on your motherboard, then the Scythe will as well. The Noctua is one of the biggest coolers available on the market. Just from eyeballing it, it looks like the Mugen should fit fine.
G

That's what I understand, but I justify it to myself as being "future proof"...as long as it makes sense in my head... :)

I haven't been able to find much about the Scythe Mugen 2 RevB fitting on my MB. I have seen pictures of the sabertooth x58 with a Noctua NH-D14...thinking maybe I should've shelled out the extra cash for it

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It's not a matter of future proofing. Mechanical hard drives can't saturate a SATA II connection, let alone a SATA III. The future proofing is simply having the SATA III on the motherboard so you can take advantage of it when good SATA III devices come out. SSDs are being released with SATA III, and they do show some performance gains. Personally, I'd get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. They're just as fast as the WD and significantly less expensive.

If the Noctua will fit on your motherboard, then the Scythe will as well. The Noctua is one of the biggest coolers available on the market. Just from eyeballing it, it looks like the Mugen should fit fine.

Solution