Tags:
  • New Build
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2010 3:06:41 AM

I've been looking into parts i should invest into after i get my gaming rig built be able to bump up overclock capabilities. I've been reading about how liquid cooling will increase the capability of overclocking by a great margin. Is it the end all be all of cooling or are there air cooled heat sinks that are better?

More about : liquid cooling

October 6, 2010 3:26:58 AM

As far as every day computing cooling solutions go, a good water setup beats a good air setup. Especially since a water cooled CPU system can be expanded to cool the GPU(s) as well.

A poor or mediocre water setup can be beat by air, yes.

Expect to pay $300 or more to build a water cooling system for the CPU that can then be expanded to include the GPU. Since this involves AT LEAST one 240mm radiator, adequate space must be planned.
m
l
October 6, 2010 3:31:45 AM

Let me add: If you mess up with the tubing and stuff, goodbye computer :) 

Takes a lot of planning yes. Water cooling isn't needed in most cases, a good air cooler is great. Water cooling is for something like 4.2-4.5 overclock on an i7.

Things like your northbridge, mosfet and southbridge really don't need to be water cooled.. that's overkill. As long as you have some good airflow (not through a radiator) then it's A-Okay
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2010 3:43:01 AM

The new Corsair H70 may compete with good air cooling when you consider space saved and such, but the H50 does not. As long as you have the space get a good air cooler.
m
l
October 6, 2010 3:44:45 AM

The H70 isn't good for the price.. the NH-D14 still beats it ;) 

Plus: You are cooling an Athlon II? They don't even get very hot. A good mid/highend-range cooler would do wonders.
m
l
October 6, 2010 3:47:21 AM

Well I'm only going by reading that lower cpu temps mean you can overclock it a little more so that was my main goal.

Thanks for the pointers again though!
m
l
October 6, 2010 3:50:56 AM

Well, big air is always better than concealed water.
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:02:54 AM

Best answer selected by xUrbanx.
m
l