i5+460 Gaming Rig $1,600 Budget would like to be cheaper

metalface

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: By Next month black friday

Budget Range: $1600-1700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Multiplayer RPG/FPS, RTS

Parts Not Required: I even need a desk...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, anything that ships to CA though

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: no preference's

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Price/performance, quiet, no foreseeable problems that don't have simple fixes, reliability are my concerns

Here's the list:
Monitor: ASUS VW246H
CPU: Intel Core i5-760 (+free game RUSE)
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro (combo +OS -$10)
GPU: MSI Hawk GTX 460
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
Int HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
CD/DVD: LITE-ON Black
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 (Combo +PSU -$50)
PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAG9 (-$20 Mail Rebate)
Keyboard: Logitech G15 +LCD
Mouse: COOLER MASTER Sentinel Advance
Desk: Ikea jerker/something off craigslist

Total: $1,465
with tax= about $1,600

1. Is the motherboard choice too much? I plan on getting another 460 within a year maybe longer (if even necessary).
2. Is the memory a good match? Could I get something with better timing or is this the best/going to suffice?

Besides that what do you all think? Could the money be better spent somewhere else in certain places? Smarter to wait a till new intel cpu and radeon 6 series? Is there another build that would give me the same performance for cheaper? Would like to make the budget cheaper if possible.

Would like any input, thanks!

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If you're planning on buying for Black Friday, combos will be different by then. The new 6xxx series GPUs should also be out. I would suggest re-posting this closer to your purchase date (a week or two in advance).

All in all, the parts look good, but you'll be able to bring down the cost significantly with combos and Black Friday sales. You could probably get this system close to $1k right now.

kureme

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
If you order from tigerdirect.com you won't have to pay sales tax. I'm not too familiar with that site though. I stick with newegg since newegg doesn't tax in my state whereas tigerdirect does.

metalface

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for the reassurance on the mobo and ram..

I just kinda wanted to have my list together so I know what to look for come next month..

smart idea for tiger direct...