New Build $1700 (Almost Final)

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend or next week

Budget Range: $1700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, Internet, Casual Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Would like to stay with Intel i7. No real preferences on anything else.

Overclocking: Possibly in the future. No major overclocking though.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Not sure on the video card yet.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 - Acer H233H

Additional Comments: My main questions right now are the graphics card and the PSU. I read that there is a new line of video cards coming out in a couple weeks so I'd be willing to wait on those if they are worth it.

Also I'm debating between the RAM. Not a huge concern though.


Parts List:

Antec 902 Mid Tower Case - $119

Intel i7-950 - $299

Asus Sabertooth x58 - $199

OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb SSD - $145

Asus CD/DVD Drive - $22

EVGA GTX 470 - $329 (Might add another later on)

WD Caviar Black 1TB - $89

Corsair AX850 - $199

G.Skill 6Gb - $199


Corsair Dominator 6Gb - $199

Total is just over $1600 before shipping.

Thats what the list looks like so far. Ive put it together mostly based on newegg reviews and the forums here. Just looking for some final opinions before I buy and to double check everything is compatible. Open to all suggestions so feel free to replace anything if you think there's a better option.

4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build 1700 almost final
  1. The build looks good. I would go with the G.Skill, lower power and latency and just as good as the Corsair brand.

    Radeon HD 6xxx are scheduled to launch mid to late October and the Kepler line of nVidia is supposed to be out some time next year along with the new processors from both lines. For current games, the GTX470 is already overkill and doing SLI later should keep you in the game for the new stuff. Obviously if you wait, the prices will drop but at the expense of having to wait till then to get it as well as newer tech always coming out. I say just go with it unless you have a temporary solution like an old GPU to use for a while until black friday or at least late October.
  2. If you're looking to cut some dollars off the price, I would suggest switching to the XFX 850W PSU and switching to some slightly less expensive RAM. Not sure that CL6 is worth the premium. If you're happy with the price, then these things are fine.

    I would also suggest switching to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb; it's just as fast as the WD (despite the SATA III) and $15 less.

    The new AMD 6xxx series GPUs are rumored to be coming out on October 19th, so it might be profitable to wait until then, especially if you aren't dead set on an nVidia card.

    Also, don't forget to factor in the OS (it wasn't listed in your parts not required).
  3. Best answer
  4. Best answer selected by Fiegs.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product