What is a tv tuner card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Sorry for the simple question but I just recently became really interested in computers and how they work. I just built my first computer which works beautifully. While I was searching for a Graphics card on NewEgg I saw the Tv Tuner option.

1. Which channels can I watch?

2. Is it a one-time buy or a monthly subscription?

3. I don't watch TV much (don't have time because of school/work both full-time and the time I do have I use to game). Only thing I watch religiously are Chicago Bears games every Sunday (occassionally Thursdays if they play that day). So I basically want the basic channels and ESPN. Can anyone recommend me a Tv Tuner card?

4. What's the pro's and con's of getting an external vs internal tv tuner card?

Idk if this is relevant but my setup is

i7-930
ATI Radeon 5850
6GB RAM
1TB Hitachi 7200 RPM 32MB Cache HDD

Solution
Here's a HDTV tuner that works as HD DVR/ PVR. It runs with media center or on its owns TV/DVR software. I had mine for more than 2 years now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

I got mine from newegg.

1)You need an HDTV antenna to receive free HDTV reception (Local HD channels). Free HD channels include ABS, CBS, NBC, PBS, KLRU and other specific local channels in your area.

2) You buy this Tuner and you don't need monthly subscription. Free HDTV shows are available using HDTV Antenna (~ $20 to $30). You can connect this Tuner to cable/sat box then you pay the monthly Cable/Sat fee.

3) Major sports are available in HD on local channels. NFL shows local team in CBS and FOX. ESPN is on cable so you...
A tuner card works just like the TV tuner in a TV. You can get all the basic unencrypted channels that you could get without a cable box. There is no monthly fee for it since its an add in card. I have one in my desktop that lets me watch TV at school and work on homework at the same time(dual screen setup).

leon2006

Distinguished
Here's a HDTV tuner that works as HD DVR/ PVR. It runs with media center or on its owns TV/DVR software. I had mine for more than 2 years now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

I got mine from newegg.

1)You need an HDTV antenna to receive free HDTV reception (Local HD channels). Free HD channels include ABS, CBS, NBC, PBS, KLRU and other specific local channels in your area.

2) You buy this Tuner and you don't need monthly subscription. Free HDTV shows are available using HDTV Antenna (~ $20 to $30). You can connect this Tuner to cable/sat box then you pay the monthly Cable/Sat fee.

3) Major sports are available in HD on local channels. NFL shows local team in CBS and FOX. ESPN is on cable so you need to pay for it. There are times that ESPN shows major event on ABC HD channel. You watch the BEARS regular Sunday games in FOX or CBS (HDTV local channel).

4) External TVTUNERS is/are for portable PCs(i.e. notebook). Its a personal choice. Internl tuners are cleaner setup as everything is inside/back of your Desktop.

Your PC specs can support hauppage 2250.

Solution

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

I love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.