Sound Card for Gaming and Music

sickness335

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
What's the best sound card out there for listening to music and gaming? I have a Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker system. The highest I'd pay for a sound card is $150. I don't have any preferences, however I've been using the first generation Creative Sound Blaster Audigy card for 5 years or so.

sickness335

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Well I just upgraded my system, and I'm having problems with my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SB 0090. I don't know if its the driver or just the acutal sound card. Before I upgraded my computer, I had the [8000] drivers installed, now for every Creative download I try, I get the [BF00] driver instead. Right now I'm using the on-board for the Gigaybyte 870A-UD3.

I don't know to much about sound cards. I will use it for playing high def games, and listening to music. I have 5.1 surround sound speakers.

Just in case any of you are interested in my specs:

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
Speakers: Logitech G51 Surround Sound
Monitor: LG E2350V
Graphics: Asus GTX 460 1GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 870A-UD3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965
OS: Windows XP SP 3 -- Soon to be Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

*sigh* this is why I NEVER recommend Creative: Their driver support stinks, and their products are sub-par compared to the competition.

Try the Daniel_K or PAX driver packs.

Also, why the Audigy? That line is obsolete, especeially if its not even an audigy 2. Onboard sound chips are better nowadays...

sickness335

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Even the Gigabyte 870A-UD3 motherboard? I'm using on board right now, it seems pretty good, but I think it could use a bit of a boost. I'm using the rock setting in the software. You can definitely notice the difference from a sound card to on board.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Honestly, I don't see the need for a sound card for such a primitive sound system...as somebody said above motherboards today have really good sound cards, you'll notice a difference from a sound card if you have a good audio system, and even then, newer Mobos have really decent sound cards.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
For the most part I think that my RealTek ALC889 is fine but games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 who love using PunkBuster is PunkBusting those Realtek cards.

A lot of people are reporting multiplayer issues with the game with different specs ranging from processors, ram to motherboards but the commonality seems to be the use of RealTek sound cards.

I'm contemplating between the Asus DX and D1 series. As far as I can see here in Canada, the Azutech Forte is no longer available and the Omega HT is out of stock. I've also read about a lot of issues with Creative sound card drivers and the fact that EAX is now obsolete.

I have the Steelseries Siberia V2 headphones at the moment. I'm not that big of a sound freak, but I hope that if I do decide to switch out of onboard sound that the money is at least somewhat well spent.

Is it worth that extra 50-60 bucks to get the D1 over the DX? I've seen people write about drivers issues with DX on windows 7 and since my system is 64bit I'm really worried that the sound card doesn't support (a situation that happened with creative cards)

TRENDING THREADS