Upgrading RAM in the future.

G

I currently have just ordered G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4gb) from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314. If I wanted to upgrade to say 16GB in the future, could I just buy the same 8GB pack in the future?

Solution
I've used different modules together several times before and never had a problem. Now the different modules didn't run in dual channel every time but they always worked.

If the same set still out later (which I admit to be unlikely at best) then it should work if each set is on its own channel. If you mix two sets on each channel it might work but if it does its probably in single channel.

So long as you don't mix sets in each channel you should still have dual channel working but nothing is certain especially with computers.

beenthere

Distinguished
The operative word is "should" operate just fine... ;)

Unfortunately with the higher frequencies of DDR3 RAM and the specific CPU memory controller characteristics, about the only means to be certain that the RAM will function is by purchasing a Matched, Tested RAM Set be it 4-8 or 16 GB. While you can try to add 8 GB. in the future - if the identical RAM is still available, the chances of it working with the RAM you just bought are about 50/50 based on user experiences.

Also keep in mind that different O/S's have different RAM limitations so more RAM is not always better depending on what O/S you are using.

I've used different modules together several times before and never had a problem. Now the different modules didn't run in dual channel every time but they always worked.

If the same set still out later (which I admit to be unlikely at best) then it should work if each set is on its own channel. If you mix two sets on each channel it might work but if it does its probably in single channel.

So long as you don't mix sets in each channel you should still have dual channel working but nothing is certain especially with computers.

Solution
if its the exact same type of memory it should work 100%. The only problem is, a year down the track, you are not likely to find the EXACT same memory. Just recently come across this when upgrading my ddr2 ram. Adding an additional 2 gigs was troublesome, had to play around with timings and mhz, but got it working in the end.