Notebook and Dual Displays

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 6, 2005 11:38:22 AM

Hello!

It is possible to span a windows desktop between a notebooks screen and a
2nd monitor? If so, how do I do it?

Thank you,
Brian

More about : notebook dual displays

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 6, 2005 7:05:36 PM

Most of the newer laptops that have a dedicated video card and separate
video memory can do this--I'm not sure how many laptops with integrated
graphics can do it. With Wndows XP (and I think Win2000), you handle it all
with Windows display settings. If your laptop has integrated graphics and
can't do it, you can buy a PC Card video card for a second display device,
but that solution gets pretty expensive.

"Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message news:3450utF482c3rU1@individual.net...
> Hello!
>
> It is possible to span a windows desktop between a notebooks screen and a
> 2nd monitor? If so, how do I do it?
>
> Thank you,
> Brian

January 6, 2005 7:05:37 PM

So, it would actually need two outputs to do this? Just trying to clarify
your message. I honestly don't really see away for this.

"Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Most of the newer laptops that have a dedicated video card and separate
> video memory can do this--I'm not sure how many laptops with integrated
> graphics can do it. With Wndows XP (and I think Win2000), you handle it
> all with Windows display settings. If your laptop has integrated graphics
> and can't do it, you can buy a PC Card video card for a second display
> device, but that solution gets pretty expensive.
>

> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>>
>> It is possible to span a windows desktop between a notebooks screen and a
>> 2nd monitor? If so, how do I do it?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Brian

a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 6, 2005 8:24:00 PM

Joe wrote:
> Hello!
>
> It is possible to span a windows desktop between a notebooks screen
> and a 2nd monitor? If so, how do I do it?

It depends on the make and model of laptop and the OS you're using.

Share that info with us and someone will be able to answer your question.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 6, 2005 9:21:51 PM

Not sure I understand. If your laptop supports dual displays, you use the
same video out connection that you use for a simultaneoous display (like
when you are using a projector) to display the same thing as what's on your
laptop screen. The Windows display setup lets you control this.

If you're using a PC Card device, it will have a video out on it.

"Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message news:34573eF435camU1@individual.net...
> So, it would actually need two outputs to do this? Just trying to clarify
> your message. I honestly don't really see away for this.
>
> "Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Most of the newer laptops that have a dedicated video card and separate
>> video memory can do this--I'm not sure how many laptops with integrated
>> graphics can do it. With Wndows XP (and I think Win2000), you handle it
>> all with Windows display settings. If your laptop has integrated
>> graphics and can't do it, you can buy a PC Card video card for a second
>> display device, but that solution gets pretty expensive.
>>

>> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> It is possible to span a windows desktop between a notebooks screen and
>>> a 2nd monitor? If so, how do I do it?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Brian

January 6, 2005 9:21:52 PM

Well, I am researching this for a friend..I've not seen the laptop but it
does have a MONITOR/RGB out..so, if we set it up for dual display, it should
work, correct? It has Windows XP installed.

Thanks,
Brian

> Not sure I understand. If your laptop supports dual displays, you use the
> same video out connection that you use for a simultaneoous display (like
> when you are using a projector) to display the same thing as what's on
> your laptop screen. The Windows display setup lets you control this.
>
> If you're using a PC Card device, it will have a video out on it.
>

> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message
>> So, it would actually need two outputs to do this? Just trying to clarify
>> your message. I honestly don't really see away for this.
>>
>> "Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Most of the newer laptops that have a dedicated video card and separate
>>> video memory can do this--I'm not sure how many laptops with integrated
>>> graphics can do it. With Wndows XP (and I think Win2000), you handle it
>>> all with Windows display settings. If your laptop has integrated
>>> graphics and can't do it, you can buy a PC Card video card for a second
>>> display device, but that solution gets pretty expensive.
>>>

>>> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 6, 2005 10:54:14 PM

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 7, 2005 6:21:26 AM

OK, right click on the windows desktop, select "Properties"
Click on the far right tab "Settings"
Click on the second monitor (2).
Look at the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this screen"
If it is active and you can check it, your graphics card supports dual
monitors
If it is gray your card doesn't support dual monitors.

"Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message news:345jpkF46hp8eU1@individual.net...
> Well, I am researching this for a friend..I've not seen the laptop but it
> does have a MONITOR/RGB out..so, if we set it up for dual display, it
> should work, correct? It has Windows XP installed.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> "Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Not sure I understand. If your laptop supports dual displays, you use the
>> same video out connection that you use for a simultaneoous display (like
>> when you are using a projector) to display the same thing as what's on
>> your laptop screen. The Windows display setup lets you control this.
>>
>> If you're using a PC Card device, it will have a video out on it.
>>

>> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message
>>> So, it would actually need two outputs to do this? Just trying to
>>> clarify your message. I honestly don't really see away for this.
>>>
>>> "Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message

January 7, 2005 12:49:12 PM

Great..I will have her try this.

> OK, right click on the windows desktop, select "Properties"
> Click on the far right tab "Settings"
> Click on the second monitor (2).
> Look at the box that says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this screen"
> If it is active and you can check it, your graphics card supports dual
> monitors
> If it is gray your card doesn't support dual monitors.
>

> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I am researching this for a friend..I've not seen the laptop but it
>> does have a MONITOR/RGB out..so, if we set it up for dual display, it
>> should work, correct? It has Windows XP installed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>
>> "Joe Davis" <davisexp@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Not sure I understand. If your laptop supports dual displays, you use
>>> the same video out connection that you use for a simultaneoous display
>>> (like when you are using a projector) to display the same thing as
>>> what's on your laptop screen. The Windows display setup lets you
>>> control this.
>>>
>>> If you're using a PC Card device, it will have a video out on it.
>>>

>>> "Joe" <joe@joe.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
January 7, 2005 2:08:51 PM

I've just bought a new ASUS N6R and most of the ASUS models that I looked at
could do this.

!