Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Why is my SSD so Slow?

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 14, 2013 6:34:18 PM

I just built my new PC and have a kingston 120gb V200+ SSD With advertised speeds of 400Mbps+ Read and write. I have set to AHCI in BIOS and registry and I am sure it is plugged into the sata 3 port however these are my results:

Sequential Read : 171.785 MB/s
Sequential Write : 106.444 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 166.056 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 98.681 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 20.225 MB/s [ 4937.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 70.549 MB/s [ 17223.8 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 20.992 MB/s [ 5125.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 102.797 MB/s [ 25096.9 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 81.6% (91.2/111.7 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2013/01/14 20:32:25
OS : Windows 7 Professional SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

Is there any reason why? Im guessing "tweaks" wont get me up to my desired speed of 350mbps+. Would rlly appreciate your help though thanks :) 

More about : ssd slow

January 14, 2013 6:43:46 PM

Did You install the sata 3 drivers for the MOBO?
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 6:52:37 PM

larrym said:
Did You install the sata 3 drivers for the MOBO?

I dont remember installing them and I tried from the website but they download as zip files containing unopenable files - which file do I download for sata3? I have Z77 D3h Rev 1.0
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 159 G Storage
January 14, 2013 6:53:47 PM

If you are on SATA 3(6gigabit). They should be the grey colored ports.

Sandforce based SSD's also work better/faster with compressible data.

If that is CrystalDiskMark
Try File -> Test Data -> All 0x00 (0 Fill)

Also, do not run tons of benchmarks on SSD's as it does waste write cycles.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 14, 2013 6:54:42 PM

ssd manufactures use different programs and choose the ones that make them look the best. typically they are the programs that use highly compressed data.

try atto disk
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1749/ATTO%20Disk%2...

now you should get those numbers which are pretty useless. you are running after numbers that mean nothing to you. that 400 MB/s will never be achieve in real world applications unless you only work with compressed data.
Share
January 14, 2013 7:00:22 PM

nukemaster said:
If you are on SATA 3(6gigabit). They should be the grey colored ports.

Sandforce based SSD's also work better/faster with compressible data.

If that is CrystalDiskMark
Try File -> Test Data -> All 0x00 (0 Fill)

Also, do not run tons of benchmarks on SSD's as it does waste write cycles.

Did that speeds are much higher thanks!
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 7:00:23 PM

Best answer selected by Ed Hunter.
m
0
l
January 14, 2013 7:01:27 PM

cbrunnem said:
ssd manufactures use different programs and choose the ones that make them look the best. typically they are the programs that use highly compressed data.

try atto disk
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1749/ATTO%20Disk%2...

now you should get those numbers which are pretty useless. you are running after numbers that mean nothing to you. that 400 MB/s will never be achieve in real world applications unless you only work with compressed data.

Thanks speeds are 425mbps! Obviously my SSD wasnt as slow as I thought so thanks for the software will use to test future drives! :) 
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 14, 2013 7:13:11 PM

no problem!
m
0
l
!