AM2, SLI with lots of SATA

Jack Hammered

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I need a motherboard that can deal with (Geforce 460 x 3 (Not in SLI)) and AM2 (Phenom II x6) prefferably with 10 or more SATA slots (Not split into SATA and eSATA).

I am building a cheap computer, I have bought a few of the components and I am just trying to find the right motherboard. The main issue is I will have around 10-12 (RAID 5) (+1/2 for the OS/s) HDDs as well as 2 DVDs. Which is a LOT os SATA ports. I am having difficulty narrowing the search down.

I do understand I could use PCI-E cards but:
1) I have heard mixed messages about Port multipliers, etc.
2) There are 3 gtaphics cards (Each taking the space of two PCI-E slots), one PCI-E audio card and currently (might not be needed) a PCI e-SATA port multiplier. So would there be room for any more PCI(e) cards?
3) I NEED this build to be cheap (Under £300 excluding the HDDs). Gettin RAID cards dramatically increases the price.

There are no AM3 boards that meet your requirements. You need a mid-to-high end RAID controller card for that many SATA ports.

Jack Hammered

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Thank you Daniel and Dereck for correcting me. I thought getting a RAID controller or Port multiplier might be needed. In which case how would I know what to get?

Jack Hammered

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I was accidently stuck with three 460 GTX graphics cards. I only needed two as I have four monitors, but it seems silly to waste one. I was thinking two cards in SLI for the main monitor and the third for the other monitors.

I admit the card does exactly what I need it to although it costs more than my entire build by quite a bit: Which is why I was looking for a motherboard that might be suitable.