Sign in with
Your question

AM2, SLI with lots of SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2011 6:31:41 AM

I need a motherboard that can deal with (Geforce 460 x 3 (Not in SLI)) and AM2 (Phenom II x6) prefferably with 10 or more SATA slots (Not split into SATA and eSATA).

I am building a cheap computer, I have bought a few of the components and I am just trying to find the right motherboard. The main issue is I will have around 10-12 (RAID 5) (+1/2 for the OS/s) HDDs as well as 2 DVDs. Which is a LOT os SATA ports. I am having difficulty narrowing the search down.

I do understand I could use PCI-E cards but:
1) I have heard mixed messages about Port multipliers, etc.
2) There are 3 gtaphics cards (Each taking the space of two PCI-E slots), one PCI-E audio card and currently (might not be needed) a PCI e-SATA port multiplier. So would there be room for any more PCI(e) cards?
3) I NEED this build to be cheap (Under £300 excluding the HDDs). Gettin RAID cards dramatically increases the price.

More about : am2 sli lots sata

a c 121 V Motherboard
August 30, 2011 5:02:36 PM

One (minor?) thing.

I thought Phenom II x6 was AM3?
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2011 8:47:29 PM

itzdanielp said:
I thought Phenom II x6 was AM3?

You are correct.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2011 8:52:41 PM

Jack Hammered said:
I need a motherboard that can deal with (Geforce 460 x 3 (Not in SLI)) and AM2 (Phenom II x6) prefferably with 10 or more SATA slots (Not split into SATA and eSATA).

There are no AM3 boards that meet your requirements. You need a mid-to-high end RAID controller card for that many SATA ports.
August 31, 2011 8:27:48 PM

Thank you Daniel and Dereck for correcting me. I thought getting a RAID controller or Port multiplier might be needed. In which case how would I know what to get?
a c 121 V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 8:54:24 PM

Ok, 2 things.

First off, even if you have a MB that can handle 3 GPU's they are not all going to run at 16x.

Second, Unfortunately the only RAID controllers that I know of are going to PCI-x.

This board could handle 3 GPU + Raid card. but would not be able to use the Audio card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and 1 of these which would support 12 drives
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 10:58:27 PM

Jack Hammered said:
Thank you Daniel and Dereck for correcting me. I thought getting a RAID controller or Port multiplier might be needed. In which case how would I know what to get?

Here’s a card with 4 internal connectors. You can connect 4 drives on each connector.

August 31, 2011 10:59:04 PM

I was accidently stuck with three 460 GTX graphics cards. I only needed two as I have four monitors, but it seems silly to waste one. I was thinking two cards in SLI for the main monitor and the third for the other monitors.

I admit the card does exactly what I need it to although it costs more than my entire build by quite a bit: Which is why I was looking for a motherboard that might be suitable.
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 2:24:00 PM

Unfortunately there are no boards that can handle that many SATA ports built in. :( 
!