Sign in with
Your question

How to clean Disk C

Last response: in Storage
January 14, 2013 9:39:00 PM

How to Clean Disk C but do not want to delete system files?... My Disk C i full i dont know why, i deleted all games and programs that i installed on it....HELP

More about : clean disk

a b G Storage
January 14, 2013 9:47:11 PM

If you're really down to 0 bytes left even after uninstalling games and programs, you might have a virus. However, if you have a little bit of room, you might try installing WinDirStat to see which files and folders are taking up the most space.
January 14, 2013 9:49:19 PM

I have 10GB free of 100GB. Thanks i will try that! :) 
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 15, 2013 6:29:13 AM

Shone03 said:
How to Clean Disk C but do not want to delete system files?... My Disk C i full i dont know why, i deleted all games and programs that i installed on it....HELP

The C drive? do you mean the system drive? if that, you could not wipe or clean it under the current system, you could connect your drive into other system and make it as a slave drive, then you could wipe or clean it. You could also use some partition software which offers the bootable mode, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant which I'm using now and it is free. Then you could wipe your c drive under a bootable mode, such as Windows PE. Hope this could help you
Best Regards
a c 342 G Storage
January 15, 2013 3:42:17 PM

Before getting complicated, let's check whether you already have done the easier things.

First, you say you deleted all kinds of stuff. BUT did you then empty the Recycle Bin? It is not clear to me whether you understand the Recycle Bin. So if you do, and you did this already, forgive me for posting this part. When you Delete a file, you do not actually get rid of it from your hard drive. The system just moves it to the Recycle Bin. This is just in case you change your mind later and want it back. You CAN recover items still in the Recycle Bin because they never were really deleted - they were only moved. But if you DO really want to get rid of them, you need to do one more step. You RIGHT-click on the Recycle Bin and choose the option to "Empty Recycle Bin", and it does that. THEN your disk space is freed up.

If you have done this already, there is another simple tool you can use called "Disk Cleanup". I will do the Empty the Recycle Bin thing for you, PLUS get rid of a bunch of other stuff. And you have some control over how much "other stuff". To use it, start by clicking on My Computer. Than RIGHT-click on the listing for your C: drive, and click on Properties at the bottom. Next to the pie chart click on the Disk Cleanup button, and it will pop up a small window that shows progress as it analyzes the disk contents. When it's done, it will offer you a new window to make choices. You place check marks in the things you want it to get rid of for you. Most of them should be checked because you don't need them. BUT I never check the last two on my list: "Compress old Files" and "Catalog files for the Content Indexer". The "Compress old Files" option can actually free up disk space, but it does it by adding extra processing to any access of those files, slowing down performance slightly and increasing the risk of file corruption. Moreover, it makes data recovery after a HDD malfunction VERY difficult. So I think its risks are worse than a shortage of space - I'd rather plan to buy another HDD if space is getting short. The "Catalog ..." option will require more background work and slow down your system, and may not free up much space. Once you have set all the check marks, click the "OK" button at the bottom and wait for it to finish. Meanwhile, check the display for how much free space your C: drive has before and after the operation, to see if this did you much good.
a b G Storage
January 15, 2013 4:04:14 PM

Paperdoc said:
BUT did you then empty the Recycle Bin? It is not clear to me whether you understand the Recycle Bin. So if you do, and you did this already, forgive me for posting this part. When you Delete a file, you do not actually get rid of it from your hard drive. The system just moves it to the Recycle Bin. This is just in case you change your mind later and want it back. You CAN recover items still in the Recycle Bin because they never were really deleted - they were only moved. But if you DO really want to get rid of them, you need to do one more step. You RIGHT-click on the Recycle Bin and choose the option to "Empty Recycle Bin", and it does that. THEN your disk space is freed up.

Two nitpicks here:
1. If he used the uninstallers instead of the delete key, that wouldn't have put things in the recycle bin.
2. The recycle bin has a maximum size setting. I think it defaults to about 10% of the free space on the drive, and when it exceeds that it automatically purges some of the files (even without having to manually click "Empty Recycle Bin"). I presume it does that in descending order of how long the files have been in the recycle bin.
January 15, 2013 8:22:24 PM

I cleaned disk C, MauveCloud helped me, i deleted files from Users>User>AppData>LocalLow>Sun>Java>Cache, now i have 55GB of free space. But thanks for help!!!!... :) 
a c 342 G Storage
January 16, 2013 6:00:38 PM

Hurray for you and MauveCloud!
January 21, 2013 10:24:13 AM

Hello,

If you want to permanent delete your unwanted data i can help you.just try to use a file shredder just like Kernel File Shredder which helps in deleting documents, Excel Sheets, zipped files, JPEG files, Presentations and much more. The tool operates on computer hard disk and helps in permanently removing files and folders from temporary Internet files, Recycle Bin, Internet Cookies and Internet temporary files of a Window OS.
!