Sign in with
Your question

Black screen after Post?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2010 10:44:58 PM

I just upgraded from an ati sapphire 3870 to a ati His IceQ 5750 1gb and then i installed my maze4 water block on there very carefully and i have done this before on other gpus. Note* the only thing i touch in this whole process was the graphics card. When i hooked everything up put it into the slot and turned my computer on i heard the beep then the post came up saying press delete for bios configurations or tab to show text screen then that screen went away and a black screen came so far it was running how it should be then after the black screen your suppose to see the windows 7 logo but i kept waiting and waiting and there was just a black screen i had no clue what happened i mean the bios did that short beep which meant it was correct and i tried resetting my bios already and i have a 530 watt power supply so i have enough juice. I really want to run this baby and really see the power of this thing. So any advice or help or anything like that i would greatly appreciate thank you :) 

My current Graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : black screen post

August 23, 2010 12:19:23 AM

When you switched the graphics card, did you uninstall the drivers first? If you didn't, the drivers maybe conflicting and unable to start the GPU. Also, right after POST, the system launches the HDD to load drivers and whatnot, if the HDD was unplugged by mistake, it can also cause the problem. The first thing I would try would be to switch back in the old card to see if it starts up to eliminate any issue with the HDD. If it does boot up, check to make sure you uninstalled the drivers, and reboot in VGA mode (no drivers). Shutdown again, and then switch in the new card. If it still doesn't, the card may be DOA.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:41:38 AM

Thank you for the help and nooo i didn't unistall the drivers first "/. Also the reason i upgraded was wen i started my 3870 my computer wasn't detecting that card at all soo thats why i bought this new card. Ill try what u said right now and post back to let ya know
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2010 1:22:23 AM

well i tried putting the 3870 but my computer still didn't detect it :fou:  nd i had an extra HD laying around soo i took out my other harddrive nd put this empty one in and when i started my computer up and i click delete the screen turned black again and then i let it start up normally and it still went to a black screen ughhhhh so i don't know what to do now
m
l
August 24, 2010 6:25:39 PM

I would try leaving out the video card, and hook the monitor directly to the motherboard if able to. If you can, you should be able to boot in VGA. If that works, uninstall the video drivers and try the process I stated again. Also, some video cards require the extra power connector. I did that once before, I forgot to hook it up and I wasn't able to boot up to Windows because of it.
m
l
!