Sound delayed under Gentoo Linux 2.4 (UT2K3 & UT2K4)

Hi.

I've installed UT2003 demo and UT2004 demo on my Gentoo Linux box. Kernel
version is 2.4.25-r2. I can run both demos under Gnome 2.4.2 and KDE 3.2.2.
Sound drivers are native OSS; I'm not using ALSA. My mobo is an MSI K7T Turbo 2
with an Athlon XP 1.5 GHz. I think version of UT2003 demo might be 2206-r3.

When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by approx. 1
sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?

Thanks in advance,
Vince C.
9 answers Last reply
More about sound delayed gentoo linux ut2k3 ut2k4
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Vince C. wrote:

    > When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by approx. 1
    > sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?

    obsolete SDL drivers?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> a écrit dans le message de
    [...]
    > > When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by
    approx. 1
    > > sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?
    > >

    > obsolete SDL drivers?

    Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my drivers are
    the latest?

    Thanks,
    Vince C.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Vince C. wrote:

    > "Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> a écrit dans le message de
    > [...]
    >> > When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by
    > approx. 1
    >> > sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?
    >> >

    >> obsolete SDL drivers?
    >
    > Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
    > drivers are the latest?

    http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "me" <reply@the.group> a écrit dans le message de
    > Vince C. wrote:
    [...]
    > > Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
    > > drivers are the latest?
    >
    > http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

    Thanks, me. (Wow, never did thank myself :-)

    Since I'm using Gentoo Linux, I'd rather stick to the "emerge" principle.
    However that problem doesn't happen with Quake3 demo. What are the
    difference between both games?

    Vince C.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "me" <reply@the.group> a écrit dans le message de
    > Vince C. wrote:
    ^...]
    > > Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
    > > drivers are the latest?
    >
    > http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

    I have already SDL 1.2.7 on my machine (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.7). So I
    suppose that's something else that is responsible for the sound being
    delayed?

    Vince C.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Vince C. enlightened us with:
    > I have already SDL 1.2.7 on my machine (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.7). So I
    > suppose that's something else that is responsible for the sound being
    > delayed?

    UT2004 comes with it's own SDL library, so you might want to replace it
    with the one from your system. Then again, SDL isn't directly
    responsible for the sound, OpenAL is. Anyways, read
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/155 for more info, especially the "Linux
    only" section.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> a écrit dans le
    message de news:slrncb0qg7.jhc.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com...
    [...]
    > UT2004 comes with it's own SDL library, so you might want to replace it
    > with the one from your system. Then again, SDL isn't directly
    > responsible for the sound, OpenAL is. Anyways, read
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/155 for more info, especially the "Linux
    > only" section.

    Thanks, MeltDown.

    I read
    http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=40 then
    I branched to http://icculus.org/~warp/ut2004/#configuration, which talks
    about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA for
    the sound?

    Vince C.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Vince C. wrote:
    > about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA for
    > the sound?

    Try to see this as a blessing ;)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Vince C. wrote:
    > > about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA
    for
    > > the sound?
    >
    > Try to see this as a blessing ;)

    Well... as a blessing, I must recompile my kernel (after all unsuccessful
    attempts till now). I made it with Genkernel, as I'm an absolute Linux
    beginner. It's more of a challenge than a blessing :-D

    Vince C.

Linux Video Games