Sound delayed under Gentoo Linux 2.4 (UT2K3 & UT2K4)

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2004 1:51:53 AM

Hi.

I've installed UT2003 demo and UT2004 demo on my Gentoo Linux box. Kernel
version is 2.4.25-r2. I can run both demos under Gnome 2.4.2 and KDE 3.2.2.
Sound drivers are native OSS; I'm not using ALSA. My mobo is an MSI K7T Turbo 2
with an Athlon XP 1.5 GHz. I think version of UT2003 demo might be 2206-r3.

When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by approx. 1
sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?

Thanks in advance,
Vince C.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:06:34 AM

Vince C. wrote:

> When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by approx. 1
> sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?

obsolete SDL drivers?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:59:08 AM

"Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> a écrit dans le message de
[...]
> > When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by
approx. 1
> > sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?
> >

> obsolete SDL drivers?

Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my drivers are
the latest?

Thanks,
Vince C.
May 19, 2004 2:16:57 AM

Vince C. wrote:

> "Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]
>> > When I run these demos all sound (effects, music, voice) is delayed by
> approx. 1
>> > sec. Has anybody already had the same problem? What's the fix?
>> >

>> obsolete SDL drivers?
>
> Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
> drivers are the latest?

http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 1:37:16 AM

"me" <reply@the.group> a écrit dans le message de
> Vince C. wrote:
[...]
> > Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
> > drivers are the latest?
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

Thanks, me. (Wow, never did thank myself :-)

Since I'm using Gentoo Linux, I'd rather stick to the "emerge" principle.
However that problem doesn't happen with Quake3 demo. What are the
difference between both games?

Vince C.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:39:35 PM

"me" <reply@the.group> a écrit dans le message de
> Vince C. wrote:
^...]
> > Huh? Do you have a version number that I could check to make sure my
> > drivers are the latest?
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

I have already SDL 1.2.7 on my machine (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.7). So I
suppose that's something else that is responsible for the sound being
delayed?

Vince C.
May 23, 2004 3:08:17 PM

Vince C. enlightened us with:
> I have already SDL 1.2.7 on my machine (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.7). So I
> suppose that's something else that is responsible for the sound being
> delayed?

UT2004 comes with it's own SDL library, so you might want to replace it
with the one from your system. Then again, SDL isn't directly
responsible for the sound, OpenAL is. Anyways, read
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/155 for more info, especially the "Linux
only" section.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:12:58 AM

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> a écrit dans le
message de news:slrncb0qg7.jhc.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com...
[...]
> UT2004 comes with it's own SDL library, so you might want to replace it
> with the one from your system. Then again, SDL isn't directly
> responsible for the sound, OpenAL is. Anyways, read
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/155 for more info, especially the "Linux
> only" section.

Thanks, MeltDown.

I read
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.p... then
I branched to http://icculus.org/~warp/ut2004/#configuration, which talks
about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA for
the sound?

Vince C.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:30:04 PM

Vince C. wrote:
> about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA for
> the sound?

Try to see this as a blessing ;)
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:38:41 AM

> Vince C. wrote:
> > about ALSA, once more. I suppose I have no other choices but use ALSA
for
> > the sound?
>
> Try to see this as a blessing ;)

Well... as a blessing, I must recompile my kernel (after all unsuccessful
attempts till now). I made it with Genkernel, as I'm an absolute Linux
beginner. It's more of a challenge than a blessing :-D

Vince C.
!