BIOS Password lockout Acer Travelmate

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 5:47:53 PM

I have an Acer Travelmate 525TXV and created a BIOS password. I haven't
used the laptop for some time and now unsure what the password is. I entered
what I thought it would be (99% sure) but it won't boot past the password
input screen.

The Acer website states that the BIOS can only be reset by them - a road I
do not want to pay for for the sake of a few files I need!

Does anyone know of a way to reset or cancel the BIOS password

Ron O'Brien
January 7, 2005 12:40:15 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:47:53 GMT, "Ron O'Brien" <ron@castcall.co.uk> wrote:

>I have an Acer Travelmate 525TXV and created a BIOS password. I haven't
>used the laptop for some time and now unsure what the password is. I entered
>what I thought it would be (99% sure) but it won't boot past the password
>input screen.

I'm confused. Are you talking of a BIOS password or a boot password?

>The Acer website states that the BIOS can only be reset by them - a road I
>do not want to pay for for the sake of a few files I need!
>
>Does anyone know of a way to reset or cancel the BIOS password
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 3:54:39 PM

> Does anyone know of a way to reset or cancel the BIOS password

you can try a post to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer, but i have a feeling you are
SOL.
a b D Laptop
October 8, 2008 5:19:37 PM

Hey Guys,
I ran into the same issue except I work for a Highschool and one of the kids who was using our mobile lab decided to put a password on the BIOS and boot. That really stunk. The laptop is a newer Acer TravelMate and I was able to remove the password. I too googled the heck out of this one and couldn't find anything but "Your SOL unless you cough up the money to Acer". Here is what I did: In search for answers I removed the hardrive first. Then I went to remove the memory and noticed an odd looking thing. Plugged in just under the wireless card were black and red wires. I followed those wires for like 2 inches and tucked away in the dark was something that looked like a CMOS battery. I unplugged that, waited like a minute cause I was inspecting it, plugged it back in. With the harddrive out still I turned the computer back on and Viola! Shutdown, put the harddrive back in, and I was still in business. Hope that helped!
~Ju1s9ti8n7
October 8, 2008 8:50:08 PM

If clearing the CMOS worked, that's a very poorly designed system - the whole point behind a boot password is to prevent someone from getting around having to enter a password, even if they change the hardware. My Dell laptop has a boot password, and it remembers it even if you clear the CMOS by removing the battery.
!