Need help selecting a power supply

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
hi im currently using a micro ATX silverstone Sugo SG04-F [

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=SG04-F&area= ]

been using it for around 9 months , and its fine, but the airflow within could be alot better, currently i have two large intake fans at the front, and a silverstone case flow fan at the back [http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=fx121&area=usa]

now what i find strange is, at the back, no air is being extracted from my ocz power suply, regardless of how hot things get, the caseflow pumps it out, and the graphics card temps are fine,

i having slight issues with cpu temp there higher then id like and sometimes effect performance and cant be good long term

so im loooking for a psu which will help this situation, ones with short thin wires, and that is small and will extract the hot air off the cpu directly below it,

around 600 watt, AMD motherboard socket AM3 [938], phenome II x4 995

thanks

popatim

Titan
It looks like the PSu is expected to vent out of the side of that case instead of the back so any quality unit with a large top fan should work fine.

I dont know of an OCZ unit that doesn't have a top mounted fan. Perhaps you installed the PSU so that its exhausting onto the CPU instead of out the side?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
i been thinking that, the big fan is currently face down towards the cpu, my thinking being it wud take the air from cpu fan away and out the back, as i remember a previous psu of mine doing in a pc i made years ago

popatim

Titan
Well that explains why you dont feel any airflow from the psu. open the case, unscrew the 4 PSu screws and spin it over, and put it back in. You dont even really need to disconnect anything else just make sure you ground yourself which should be standard anytime you open your pc case up.

shovenose

Distinguished
NO! it should definitely be venting out the back by default! you may just not be feeling the airflow. or the fan hs failed. can you verify that its actually spinning?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
yh i got the psu separate, iv built a few pcs, so its the first time iv encountered this problem.

ill have a look now to make sure the fan is spinning, the fan size on the psu is as big as the psu its self, ill try find the model and post it up,

either way, the wire size and length and so forth are not great for a smaller case, and i am looking into getting a psu more suited to a smaller case, just not sure which one to go for lol