Sign in with
Your question

My new hardcore rig.

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2010 9:00:30 AM

Please if there are any parts i should consider changing please tell me and say what reson there is to chenge it, thanks.

CPU: Intel i7 960 3.2Ghz

Water Cooling: Swiftech H2O-220 Ultima XT

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme x58 Chipset

Internal Expansion: Asus U3S6 Storage USB 3.0

Memory: Corsair Dominator-GT - Memory - 6 GB (3 x 2gb) 2000Mhz

GPU: eVGA Geforce GTX 470 Point Of View

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W 1000W Strømforsyning

Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA2

Optical Drive: 24x Double layer DVD RW Super Allwrite

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Future Upgrades:

i7 975/980x (Maybe a sandy bridge processor when they come out)

Nvidia FX 5800 (Please suggest any other if they are better)

12GB ddr3 Corsair Dominator-GT memory 200mhz (6 x 2gb)

More about : hardcore rig

October 6, 2010 9:21:29 AM

There have been quite a few problems reported with the Rampage Extreme boards. You could try the Rampage Formula or the Sabertooth as alternatives.

Those Dominators are pretty overpriced. The 2000MHz will barely be noticeable vs 1800 or 1600, and you can get much tighter timings at those speeds. I would look for CL6 or CL7 sticks by Mushkin or G.Skill.

You probably won't need the USB 3.0 expansion card; it's only real applications are going to be for external hard drives and thumb drives. If you find yourself needing more than the two USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard later on, then buy the expansion card. The interface may be improved by then.

There's no real reason to get the i7-960 over the 950. It's a huge price jump for very little performance that can easily be made up with overclocking (which you'd better be doing with this setup).

With the $280 saved from the processor downgrade, you can easily afford a GTX 480 instead of the 470.

In the future upgrades department:
You won't be able to drop a Sandy Bridge cpu into this system. They will have an entirely new socket. The 975 or the 980x would be a nice step up though in future years, provided they come down a few hundred dollars in price.

The FX 5800 is a workstation graphics card. While it can play games, it isn't optimized for them. Your best upgrade for graphics will be to either SLI the card you already have or buy the next generation.

You're unlikely to ever need 12 gigs of RAM unless you do some hardcore VM, multitasking, and video encoding work, but it is a future upgrade possibility.
October 6, 2010 9:29:34 AM

coleam45 said:
There have been quite a few problems reported with the Rampage Extreme boards. You could try the Rampage Formula or the Sabertooth as alternatives.

Those Dominators are pretty overpriced. The 2000MHz will barely be noticeable vs 1800 or 1600, and you can get much tighter timings at those speeds. I would look for CL6 or CL7 sticks by Mushkin or G.Skill.

You probably won't need the USB 3.0 expansion card; it's only real applications are going to be for external hard drives and thumb drives. If you find yourself needing more than the two USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard later on, then buy the expansion card. The interface may be improved by then.

There's no real reason to get the i7-960 over the 950. It's a huge price jump for very little performance that can easily be made up with overclocking (which you'd better be doing with this setup).

With the $280 saved from the processor downgrade, you can easily afford a GTX 480 instead of the 470.

In the future upgrades department:
You won't be able to drop a Sandy Bridge cpu into this system. They will have an entirely new socket. The 975 or the 980x would be a nice step up though in future years, provided they come down a few hundred dollars in price.

The FX 5800 is a workstation graphics card. While it can play games, it isn't optimized for them. Your best upgrade for graphics will be to either SLI the card you already have or buy the next generation.

You're unlikely to ever need 12 gigs of RAM unless you do some hardcore VM, multitasking, and video encoding work, but it is a future upgrade possibility.

I forgot i had choosen the i7 930 instead of the 960 so just cross that out. About the memory, i am getting it free so i dont see why i should'nt get the best memory. Unless you know a better one?

Ill stick to the i7 processors for now (not the sandy bridge)

About the motherboard, I would like a x58 motherboard so can u suggest the best quality and performance one?
like the top 3? Price does not matter, neither does the fact that it might be toooo hardcore..

Thanks
Related resources
October 6, 2010 5:10:26 PM

If you're getting the memory for free, then it's no big deal. My comment only mattered if you were paying for it.

The top two X58 motherboards on Newegg right now are the ones I mentioned, the ASUS Sabretooth and the ASUS Rampage III Formula. All of the other high end models (the Rampage III Extreme and the EVGAs) have a lot of quality control problems reported. Other than that, I could recommend the Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3. I would also hesitantly recommend the AsRock X58 Extreme6.
October 6, 2010 5:20:43 PM

what are you using the computer for? gaming? nothing about this system is "hardcore". gaming...then the gtx 470 is good...not the best. if a workstation, then the 5800 is also good...very expensive, but the new fermi based 5000 and 6000 cards are better. I've built both types of systems. very different hardware for different applications. know what you're doing before you buy or you'll look like a tool.

as for memory...different motherboard respond differently to different memory...know what motehrboard you settle on and match the memory to that motehrboard (each brand/manufacturer has "approved" memory lists)

and on motherboard...what you are using the system for will matter what motherboard. AutoCAD vs gaming is very diferent hardware.
October 6, 2010 5:34:32 PM

japps2 said:
what are you using the computer for? gaming? nothing about this system is "hardcore". gaming...then the gtx 470 is good...not the best. if a workstation, then the 5800 is also good...very expensive, but the new fermi based 5000 and 6000 cards are better. I've built both types of systems. very different hardware for different applications. know what you're doing before you buy or you'll look like a tool.

as for memory...different motherboard respond differently to different memory...know what motehrboard you settle on and match the memory to that motehrboard (each brand/manufacturer has "approved" memory lists)

and on motherboard...what you are using the system for will matter what motherboard. AutoCAD vs gaming is very diferent hardware.

Yes what i have written isnt really hardcore but IN the future i will upgrade to hardcore parts. just stating the reason i choose the x58 mobo.
updates like 980x, 12GB ram, maybe 2x XFX 5970
October 6, 2010 8:47:37 PM

why did you start a new thread? anyway...you still haven't answered (in iether thread) what this computer is for? gaming? then the 1366 socket is about to die...take it from me...I have a QX9770 CPU...I went with the top-line last generation. so even if you upgrade to the i7 980x...once you are a generation behind...you will be slow.

do a lot of research...and that water cooler is just so-so...don't watercool just becasue you want to...it's expensive and takes maintenance. If you plan on overclocking...fine, but you can get good air-coolers too.
October 6, 2010 9:26:33 PM

Quote:

do a lot of research...and that water cooler is just so-so...don't watercool just becasue you want to...it's expensive and takes maintenance.

You have no idea do you? Apart from the rad, everything in that kit is near top of the line. The Swiftech XT is only beaten by the EK Supreme HF. Add a 2nd rad or a bigger rad and that kit is more than enough for just a CPU loop. It's a good starting kit.

@OP: PLEASE wait at least for the ATI 6xxx cards. If you plan to drop this much money, I'd wait a few months for Sandy Bridge. The "mid range" Sandy Bridge CPUs keeps up with the 980X. It would be significantly faster than a 930/960.

Also, is this a WORKSTATION OR A GAMING build? Also, if doing WCing PLEASE know WTF you are doing (ie leak testing, bleeding,etc).
October 6, 2010 9:58:29 PM

Ok.
I am a gamer and i make 3D intros for companies.

Normally i use theese applications and games daily
3D's Max
Cinema 4D
Crysis
GTA IV
Grid
Adobe After Effects CS5
Photoshop CS5
Sony Vegas 9.0 (not used allot)
That is most the programs i use.
Also about the Watercooling, i have used air coolers before like the V8 but i must say i perfer the watercooling, i can get much more oc.

So if u could suggest some pretty neat aircoolers then please do :) 
I support all the replies, and yes im not an expert with computers but i have built a computer 8 months ago. So im kinda "basic".. i know i look like an idiont ^^
October 6, 2010 11:25:55 PM

Damn... that's a hard call as you use 3DS Max. In that case, I would go with an nVidia gaming card due to better drivers and OpenGL performance.

Quote:
Also about the Watercooling, i have used air coolers before like the V8 but i must say i perfer the watercooling, i can get much more oc.

Getting more OCing depends on your skill. Have you Water cooled before? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you read the sticky on the Heatsink section of this Forum.
October 7, 2010 12:25:47 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Damn... that's a hard call as you use 3DS Max. In that case, I would go with an nVidia gaming card due to better drivers and OpenGL performance.

Quote:

Getting more OCing depends on your skill. Have you Water cooled before? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you read the sticky on the Heatsink section of this Forum.

Yes i have experienced WC before and it is pretty good. But you know if there is a good air cooler out there i might have a look at it.
As far as the gpu, i must say i have a Quadro FX 4300 also a 5770 so i thought id get this one and see the results.
October 7, 2010 1:43:17 AM

Well, if you have done WCing by all means go for it if you think it's worth it. Imo, it is worth it depending on how hard you wish to push the CPU.

Also, since you run CS5, you may want to see if the GPU acceleration with CUDA is worth it. I know for Premiere CS5, the playback gains a good boost with CUDA.

October 7, 2010 1:11:30 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Well, if you have done WCing by all means go for it if you think it's worth it. Imo, it is worth it depending on how hard you wish to push the CPU.

Also, since you run CS5, you may want to see if the GPU acceleration with CUDA is worth it. I know for Premiere CS5, the playback gains a good boost with CUDA.

Ok ima stick with the setup i have :)  thanks for reply
BTW money does not matter to me :D 
And in future imma upgrade to one of intels Quadro's 4800 maybe when it gets cheaper :) 
October 7, 2010 1:18:51 PM

Hmm.... do you realize that those cards are not optimized for gaming? Then bye bye gaming. Yes they CAN game but.. yeah.. you get it :) 
!