Considering upgrades, looking for advice..

runz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Current System Information
Intel Q6600 (Factory Clocked) (AC Freezer)
EVGA 780i SLi Mobo
4gb OCZ Gold Gamer (DDR2 800)
BFG GTX 260 (Stock clock)
XFX 7950GTX(Stock clock)
1x Raptor 150GB
1 Western Digital 500GB
Antec 1200 Case
Antec 850W PSU (TPQ-850)

System use
I use it for mainly World of Warcraft and League of Legends. I dont play a massive amount but want it to perform correctly.
Currently my main LCD runs off the 260, with two additional monitors running off the 7950GTX.
On a regular basis I like to watch netflix while I play and if netflix is in HD I get massive framerate loss and stuttering.

Known issues
The nvidia driver crashes every month or so and I believe it is due to the 7950 failing or not liking being on the same driver as the 260, I could be wrong though. As well I am currently on Windows 7 32-bit, but will be remedying this shortly.

My Upgrade Idea
I am looking at getting 2x OCZ Agility 90gb drives and a GTX 470 (EVGA).

Theory behind my idea
I want to improve the load times and the raided SSDs should fix that, as well the 470 should be more than enough card if I do want to pick up some of the high end games out at the moment. I will reload the OS to 64-bit with the new drives and remove the old cards.

Questions
1. Given that information is this the upgrade path you guys would choose?

2. Would still having a second card in the system to run the two extra monitors drop the performance enough that I should just stick to the 470 and eliminate a monitor?

3. Is there truly a need for i7 or DDR3 on MMOs? (Over my Q6600)

4. Anything else I should truly consider?

Final Statement.
I work for an enterprise level IT company and get a nice perk of putting all this on an employee financing thing. I am going to set that so that if I do get these products the loan will be empty in 10-11 months. This way I can plan on upgrading next year or the year after. Due to this I am looking for parts that will move over easily to a new rig. I could rebuild an all new system right now, but I dont feel the performance difference would be worth the cost atm.

I want to improve the load times and the raided SSDs should fix that
1. Just the 2 X SSDs in RAID even on SATA 3GB/s interface will saturate the SATA 3GB/s ports on your current mobo so i wouldn't recommend it - in fact just hit one 60GB Sandforce based SSD and be extremely picky about what goes in it (besides OS)

2 + 3 I would really just hit an after market cooler and clock the best i could with that Q6660

4. October 19th: HD 6000 series out so we could see changes in pricing schemes of current GPUs so if you could wait do so

runz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I can definitely wait for October 19th. I just need this completed by the release of the expansion.

Sandforce is just a controller right? Is there a particular one that is better? Is there a reason to not go over 60gb?

I would like to have the room if I could, but understand if its a big performance loss.

I currently have an Arctic cooler Freezer on it, it does well with temps and my case flows a ton of air.

runz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
How much of an affect does having the 7950 in for the other monitors have? I cant find if this board flips to 8x 8x or 16x 8x. if its 8-8 is it a pretty decent hit?

runz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
on my controller am I really going to see a big gain over my raptor with a sandforce SSD? I see so many people having issues with BSOD and lockups from sleep and really dont want to deal with that if its a minimal gain.

runz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
It seems like its hit or miss on the Corsair, maybe I will try an Gskill. I am still searching for wether having the second card in there is hurting performance or not ATM.