Current System Information
Intel Q6600 (Factory Clocked) (AC Freezer)
EVGA 780i SLi Mobo
4gb OCZ Gold Gamer (DDR2 800)
BFG GTX 260 (Stock clock)
XFX 7950GTX(Stock clock)
1x Raptor 150GB
1 Western Digital 500GB
Antec 1200 Case
Antec 850W PSU (TPQ-850)
I use it for mainly World of Warcraft and League of Legends. I dont play a massive amount but want it to perform correctly.
Currently my main LCD runs off the 260, with two additional monitors running off the 7950GTX.
On a regular basis I like to watch netflix while I play and if netflix is in HD I get massive framerate loss and stuttering.
The nvidia driver crashes every month or so and I believe it is due to the 7950 failing or not liking being on the same driver as the 260, I could be wrong though. As well I am currently on Windows 7 32-bit, but will be remedying this shortly.
My Upgrade Idea
I am looking at getting 2x OCZ Agility 90gb drives and a GTX 470 (EVGA).
Theory behind my idea
I want to improve the load times and the raided SSDs should fix that, as well the 470 should be more than enough card if I do want to pick up some of the high end games out at the moment. I will reload the OS to 64-bit with the new drives and remove the old cards.
1. Given that information is this the upgrade path you guys would choose?
2. Would still having a second card in the system to run the two extra monitors drop the performance enough that I should just stick to the 470 and eliminate a monitor?
3. Is there truly a need for i7 or DDR3 on MMOs? (Over my Q6600)
4. Anything else I should truly consider?
I work for an enterprise level IT company and get a nice perk of putting all this on an employee financing thing. I am going to set that so that if I do get these products the loan will be empty in 10-11 months. This way I can plan on upgrading next year or the year after. Due to this I am looking for parts that will move over easily to a new rig. I could rebuild an all new system right now, but I dont feel the performance difference would be worth the cost atm.
I want to improve the load times and the raided SSDs should fix that
1. Just the 2 X SSDs in RAID even on SATA 3GB/s interface will saturate the SATA 3GB/s ports on your current mobo so i wouldn't recommend it - in fact just hit one 60GB Sandforce based SSD and be extremely picky about what goes in it (besides OS)
2 + 3 I would really just hit an after market cooler and clock the best i could with that Q6660
4. October 19th: HD 6000 series out so we could see changes in pricing schemes of current GPUs so if you could wait do so
Yep controller - the reason is: the GB/$$ is getting better for SSDs but w.r.t mainstream mechanical it's still a tad painful pill to swallow hehe Hence being very selective and using it as exclusively boot/os and selective apps/software
on my controller am I really going to see a big gain over my raptor with a sandforce SSD? I see so many people having issues with BSOD and lockups from sleep and really dont want to deal with that if its a minimal gain.