Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need New Card: Looking at Nvidia 470

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2010 1:08:26 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 30 Days

BUDGET RANGE: 200-400 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, I mainly play CoDW@W but want to play some newer games in the future as well.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I had the Nvidia 280 by BFG, but only after a year, it died and they are now going under. I have the Thermaltake 850W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have the i7-920 2.8 GHz, ASUS Rampage Extreme II. OCZ Reaper 2 GB sticks for 12 GB total I also have the Thermaltake Spedo Case/Tower.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I like Newegg and TigerDirect for computer parts.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Nvidia over ATI, I have had bad luck in the past with ATI

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I use 2 Monitors: 1680x1050 on my SyncMaster 226W and on my DELL anoalog:1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I Want a card with a lifetime warranty

More about : card nvidia 470

a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:14:09 AM

For the lifetime you're probably going for a XFX card, but the difference between 2-3 years and life isn't that big.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:30:33 AM

Homeuser said:
CURRENT GPU: I had the Nvidia 280 by BFG, but only after a year, it died and they are now going under.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Nvidia over ATI, I have had bad luck in the past with ATI

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I Want a card with a lifetime warranty

I'd like to know what your back luck with ATI was if it was worse than a 280 dying within a year?

I'd also like to know why you want another card with a lifetime warranty since BFG aren't paying out on theirs. nVidia is a dying out company who didn't help out BFG, so really I wouldn't want to trust any "lifetime" warranties on their cards. I probably don't need to tell you that the 470 gtx is hot and power hungry, and only comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty for a good reason. It is also EOL so don't expect nVidia to keep supporting it driver wise.

If you feel like ignoring the above, just get a 460 1gb.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 1:41:28 AM

eyefinity said:
I'd like to know what your back luck with ATI was if it was worse than a 280 dying within a year?

I'd also like to know why you want another card with a lifetime warranty since BFG aren't paying out on theirs. nVidia is a dying out company who didn't help out BFG, so really I wouldn't want to trust any "lifetime" warranties on their cards. I probably don't need to tell you that the 470 gtx is hot and power hungry, and only comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty for a good reason. It is also EOL so don't expect nVidia to keep supporting it driver wise.

Ignore this troll. Nvidia does not own BFG. They are separate entities.
PNY, Evga,+ Sparkle all offer limited lifetime warranty on the GTX 470.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:44:18 AM

notty22 said:
Ignore this troll. Nvidia does not own BFG. They are separate entities.
PNY, Evga,+ Sparkle all offer limited lifetime warranty on the GTX 470.

BFG only made nVidia cards, and nVidia abandoned them. Funny how none of ATI's business partners are going out of business and withdrawing lifetime warranties. :sarcastic: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:44:58 AM

eyefinity said:

No, not at all. nVidia is actually doing quite well. Also, BFG died because they didn't release a lot of products and didn't produce anything noteworthy. EVGA has a life time warranty and is the biggest distributor of nVidia products.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:45:37 AM

Everybody knows nVidia is a dying company and spending lots of money on their cards now is foolhardy, especially after this sordid business with BFG. The 460 1gb is a nice card and really well priced but I'd be worried about nVidia going bust and the loss of support after that.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:45:58 AM

eyefinity said:
BFG only made nVidia cards, and nVidia abandoned them. Funny how none of ATI's business partners are going out of business and withdrawing lifetime warranties. :sarcastic: 

Your such a hopeless troll.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:48:41 AM

eyefinity said:
Everybody knows nVidia is a dying company and spending lots of money on their cards now is foolhardy, especially after this sordid business with BFG.

What?! nVidia dying? Show me any evidence, now. ATI is just catching them on market share, and nVidia only just released their products and still have some yet to be released. nVidia also has plenty of business with the ultra mobile sector without any real competition. Above it all, nVidia has more funds to survive off of, while ATI and AMD are trying to get out of the red they've been in for years, not just a few months.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:51:29 AM

As I said before, BFG died because of BFG. To compare that to ATI's partners is just asinine.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 1:52:35 AM

Nvidia is in no danger of bankruptcy. Ignore that guy.
If you really want a lifetime warranty then you have no choice but EVGA. Honestly I think that lifetime warranties for video cards are mostly a marketing gimmick myself. A 3 year warranty should be plenty and covers the useful lifetime of a card.
I would recommend this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Great brand for $290, free shipping, $30 MIR and it comes with 2 games.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:52:38 AM

AMW1011 said:
What?! nVidia dying? Show me any evidence, now. ATI is just catching them on market share, and nVidia only just released their products and still have some yet to be released. nVidia also has plenty of business with the ultra mobile sector without any real competition. Above it all, nVidia has more funds to survive off of, while ATI and AMD are trying to get out of the red they've been in for years, not just a few months.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/misc/29771/nvidia-po...

Just face up to it, nVidia is on the way out. AMD increased their profits by 200m and nVidia lost 200m. It's over for them - even the 460 1gb is a money loser and I can't see how this company will remain relevant over the next few years.
Score
August 23, 2010 1:54:43 AM

Wow...Thanks...but honestly, I have had 2 ATI products and both worked well, but the software didn't. I would constantly have conflicts or the software wouldn't work at all.. this was from an ATI TV tuner card I had about 8 yrs ago, and just recently I tried the Radeon 5570 and the CD wouldn't even load, I had to download everything from the web, and I was getting 15-35 fps playing CoDW@W when I used to get anywhere from 280-400 fps using my 280.

I am open to suggestions then. I was looking at the Nvidia's 466-470 cards,( not overclocked). Someone suggested the Radeon 5870 but that's 440+...too much.

As I stated before, I prefer Nvidia.....Just my pref...

jyjjy-I'm looking at your suggestion now...
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 1:54:50 AM

eyefinity said:
What are you saying, BFG didn't go bust, or nVidia bailed them out?

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/08/16/bfg_accepting_rm...

It is BFG people who made the claim, I'm just the messenger.

He is saying you're an idiot. Do you not know how buisness works. BFG made their own bad choices and their own mistakes, Nvidia has no obligation to help their stupidity. Nvidia only supplied them parts, and BFG didn't JUST go out of buisness becuase of their GPUs, it started with their PSUs.

But sure lets blame the later on Nvidia as well...

Also to the OP, a 3 year warrenty is more then enough for a card, you don't need a lifetime warrenty really, however EVGA is my favorite brand and they offer it soo....
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:55:36 AM

AMW1011 said:
As I said before, BFG died because of BFG. To compare that to ATI's partners is just asinine.

Ok I'll give you that if this was a one-off then maybe so.

Didn't XFX move to ATI last year? Now look at this

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/slyvia/...

It doesn't matter how you see it, it's not good for nVidia. Why are they doing this - XFX were one of their most valued partners and look at how they are treating them!
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 1:55:42 AM

You have absolutely no idea about the financial stability of Nvidia or ATI. Stop pretending that you do. You shouldn't read an article about quarterly reports and think you are expert business analyst.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:57:19 AM

Helltech said:
He is saying you're an idiot. Do you not know how buisness works. BFG made their own bad choices and their own mistakes, Nvidia has no obligation to help their stupidity. Nvidia only supplied them parts, and BFG didn't JUST go out of buisness becuase of their GPUs, it started with their PSUs.

But sure lets blame the later on Nvidia as well...

Also to the OP, a 3 year warrenty is more then enough for a card, you don't need a lifetime warrenty really, however EVGA is my favorite brand and they offer it soo....

Yeah and I'm saying you're an idiot if you think an nVidia lifetime warranty means anything.

The OP didn't make any sense at all, he said he had bad luck with ATI even though his 280 died within a year? :na: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 1:58:29 AM

jyjjy said:
You have absolutely no idea about the financial stability of Nvidia or ATI. Stop pretending that you do. You shouldn't read an article about quarterly reports and think you are expert business analyst.

What you can't figure out that losing $150 million in a quarter while two of your most valued business partners go bust or jump ship to ATI is bad? :na: 
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:00:10 AM

eyefinity said:
Yeah and I'm saying you're an idiot if you think an nVidia lifetime warranty means anything.

The OP didn't make any sense at all, he said he had bad luck with ATI even though his 280 died within a year? :na: 

I even said a lifetime warrenty is pointless, but I guess you're illiterate as well.
Score
August 23, 2010 2:03:52 AM

Ok, so I'll do without the lifetime warranty, I just want something that is good and will last me a while...
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:03:57 AM

Homeuser said:
Wow...Thanks...but honestly, I have had 2 ATI products and both worked well, but the software didn't. I would constantly have conflicts or the software wouldn't work at all.. this was from an ATI TV tuner card I had about 8 yrs ago, and just recently I tried the Radeon 5570 and the CD wouldn't even load, I had to download everything from the web, and I was getting 15-35 fps playing CoDW@W when I used to get anywhere from 280-400 fps using my 280.

I am open to suggestions then. I was looking at the Nvidia's 466-470 cards,( not overclocked). Someone suggested the Radeon 5870 but that's 440+...too much.

As I stated before, I prefer Nvidia.....Just my pref...

jyjjy-I'm looking at your suggestion now...

Your saying that your disappointed in ATI because a 5570 didn't play games well? Its not meant to be used in games, its purely a media card.

But yes get the GTX 460 or GTX 470. Both are the best bang for your buck cards right now.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:06:20 AM

eyefinity said:
What you can't figure out that losing $150 million in a quarter while two of your most valued business partners go bust or jump ship to ATI is bad? :na: 

I can figure out that these things are NOWHERE near as important as you think they are from an overall financial perspective. In short you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and are just latching on to recent headlines and blowing them out of proportion because they support your existing bias. If you insist on doing this keep in your own head and don't ruin someone's thread by starting a ludicrous argument based on assumptions that have no merit. This person is asking for advice from people who know what they are talking about and that doesn't include you.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:07:37 AM

eyefinity said:

Yeah, your right it is bad. nVidia is no longer spanking ATI like they have been doing for 3-4 years previously. Market share is now pretty equal, with nVidia set to take a bit back with their more compelling products. Yeah nVidia is taking a few hits, but nothing like the 2xxx and 3xxx series from ATI, but ATI is still here. There is no way in hell that nVidia is going under any time soon. They will remain, and they will remain very competitive and possibly even dominating for years to come.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:11:29 AM

jyjjy said:
I can figure out that these things are NOWHERE near as important as you think they are from an overall financial perspective. In short you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and are just latching on to recent headlines and blowing them out of proportion because they support your existing bias. If you insist on doing this keep in your own head and don't ruin someone's thread by starting a ludicrous argument based on assumptions that have no merit. This person is asking for advice from people who know what they are talking about and that doesn't include you.

It's obvious I'm the only one in this thread who knows what he is talking about.

The OP made two illogical statements about "having bad luck with ATI" then admitting next sentence that "My gtx 280 died within a year". It's nice to know he values driver issues (Hint: User Error) as being worse than cards breaking down. :na: 

You're all just useless nVidia fanbois, get a clue and accept that ATI is the only player in town please. :) 
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:13:28 AM

Homeuser said:

You should always ignore the driver CD that comes with computer components. There will almost always be more current drivers online so it is a useless piece of plastic unless you don't have an internet connection. The GTX 280 is several times more powerful than the HD5570. The HD5570 is a passable but not good card for low resolutions(1280x1024) while the GTX 280 is a good card for high resolutions(1920x1080.) Their performance cannot be compared in any meaningful way.
The card you may want to consider from ATI is the HD5850. It is a bit weaker than the GTX 470 but it is uses much less power/generates much less heat and runs quieter.
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:17:12 AM

eyefinity said:
It's obvious I'm the only one in this thread who knows what he is talking about.

The OP made two illogical statements about "having bad luck with ATI" then admitting next sentence that "My gtx 280 died within a year". It's nice to know he values driver issues (Hint: User Error) as being worse than cards breaking down. :na: 

You're all just useless nVidia fanbois, get a clue and accept that ATI is the only player in town please. :) 

HA, jyjjy is anything but a Nvdia fanboy, I see him suggesting people get ATI cards more then most people on here so don't even try that nonsense.

What you don't seem to understand is anything about buisness. Companies with enough treasury (Nvidia) can take a hit, not even a big hit at that, and still pull through and do quite well. Look at GM they declared bankrupcy and they are in the process of coming back as we speak.

There WAS problems with ATI's Drivers there for a while (not user error by the way which you seem to speak of) and most people will agree on that. However those driver errors ARE fixed as of now, but it is in no way the OPs fault that there were faulty drivers at the time.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:18:21 AM

Helltech just ignore him, this fool won't listen to reason.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:18:44 AM

Seeing as everyone is off-topic I'd like to help

ATI 5570 is not really what I'd call a 'gaming card' I'd recommend atleast a 5750 or 5770. however with you budget I say you get a nice 5850

Quality 5850 for 289.99

Quality, Overclocked 5850 for 299.99

~All 5850's have 1GB GDDR5

Alternatively you can get a GTX 460 and SLi it in future heres a few links for them

MSi Overclocked 460 for 199.99

Quality EVGA 460, Not overclocked however free metro 2033 D/l at there site, 199.99

EVGA Overclocked 460 for 209.99

~ All the 460's have 768MB GDDR5

As a note of caution however, the Radeon 6000 Series is due in october and price cuts are expected soon, followed by the new cards, And the 460 stand-alone is also not as good as the 5850 stand-alone
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:23:20 AM

jyjjy said:
Nvidia is in no danger of bankruptcy. Ignore that guy.
If you really want a lifetime warranty then you have no choice but EVGA. Honestly I think that lifetime warranties for video cards are mostly a marketing gimmick myself. A 3 year warranty should be plenty and covers the useful lifetime of a card.
I would recommend this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Great brand for $290, free shipping, $30 MIR and it comes with 2 games.

I'd probably go with this honestly. You have the power and components to run them in SLI in the future even and you would be set. Thats a really good deal and I have been eyeing it myself lately.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:24:32 AM

Helltech said:
I'd probably go with this honestly. You have the power and components to run them in SLI in the future even and you would be set. Thats a really good deal and I have been eyeing it myself lately.

Agreed. It's an awesome deal.
Score
August 23, 2010 2:26:59 AM

Thanks Decode! and as for my saying that my 280 died. well, all of a sudden, I couldn't put it under any stress. I also had a 6600 for many years until I decided to up grade my computer.

I was also just told not to buy anything Overclocked or SuperClocked...as they tend to burn out quicker or die quicker...well, my 280 was overclocked out of the box...
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:34:35 AM

Helltech said:
HA, jyjjy is anything but a Nvdia fanboy, I see him suggesting people get ATI cards more then most people on here so don't even try that nonsense.

What you don't seem to understand is anything about buisness. Companies with enough treasury (Nvidia) can take a hit, not even a big hit at that, and still pull through and do quite well. Look at GM they declared bankrupcy and they are in the process of coming back as we speak.

Yeah and look at how well Matrox and Via's comebacks went. The tech sector is merciless and nVidia will die out because there is no room for second best, overpriced garbage and that is what you get with nVidia.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:36:41 AM

Homeuser said:
Ohh, I would like to also add, I would like to use some sort of software/gadget to monitor my temps in game..I currently use Nvidia gadget....Does ATI have any?

You can monitor temperatures with ATI catalyst control centre.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:37:23 AM

Yes, I'm not sure what its called but it should be accessible through CCC or the manufactures custom tools(via the CD)

Well, theres a nice selection there, HIS Radeon 5850 or EVGA 460 with free metro, Both good graphics cards overclocked or not. Although the 460 will be easier to install. for the little software installation pains at the start the 5850 will work out better.

But, As I Said before. prices will be coming down very soon so you might be able to pick up a cheap 5870 even, or a next gen 6850 for the same price as the current 5850....
Score
August 23, 2010 2:41:03 AM

Ok...good to know....I'm sorry I stirred up the Nvidia vs ATI controversy...I was mearly looking for some advice....and I did find some here...!!! Thanks!..
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:43:40 AM

I didn't mean to start an argument mate, I just wanted to set it right and I hope you can see it from my point of view. The 460 1gb is a decent card and that's the one I'd go for if I really felt I had to buy nVidia.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:44:49 AM

Homeuser said:
Ohh, I would like to also add, I would like to use some sort of software/gadget to monitor my temps in game..I currently use Nvidia gadget....Does ATI have any?

Afterburner comes with the card I linked and can be used to give you an onscreen display of statistics in the corner of the game screen. It can list any of the following that you desire;
GPU Temperature
GPU Usage(%)
Fan Speed
Core Clock
Memory Clock
If you go with a different card it can be downloaded online here;
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Beta-6_d2...
It can used with non-MSI cards and ATI cards as well so it doesn't matter what you buy.
BTW it is also the best overclocking software around(although you don't need to use it for that.) Overclocking really shouldn't shorten the lifespan of a card unless you run it a temperatures that are too high. You just had bad luck with the BFG card. The main reason to avoid factory overclocks is that they usually cost more and you can easily get better results on your own.
I would choose the GTX 470 deal I linked myself but if you do go with an HD5850 I would recommend this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As $255 is simply a great deal and it does have a lifetime warranty like you said you wanted. This one for it's superior cooling would be my second choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:45:32 AM

eyefinity said:
Yeah and look at how well Matrox and Via's comebacks went. The tech sector is merciless and nVidia will die out because there is no room for second best, overpriced garbage and that is what you get with nVidia.

If ATI was the ONLY company making GPUs you would be paying out the ass for the cards. Without competition prices would be insane. Don't be rediculous.

Nvidia making graphics cards is healthy for the consumer, even if you don't like them. They are essential.

Do you honestly not know how competition works. Did you not finish buisness or economics? Competing companies bring down prices, and force companies to one up each other. If it wasn't for this competition technology wouldn't be advancing as rapidly as it has been. There would ne no inncentive to create better technology.

Homeuser said:
Ohh, I would like to also add, I would like to use some sort of software/gadget to monitor my temps in game..I currently use Nvidia gadget....Does ATI have any?...never mind...I found it..but its not going to be updated... http://blog.orbmu2k.de/sidebar-gadgets/ati-overdrive-si...

MSI Afterburner is the best to use, I think it works with ATI cards, I'm not sure acutally haha.

CCC, Speedfan, RealTemp all should be able to do this however.

Homeuser said:
Thanks Decode! and as for my saying that my 280 died. well, all of a sudden, I couldn't put it under any stress. I also had a 6600 for many years until I decided to up grade my computer.

I was also just told not to buy anything Overclocked or SuperClocked...as they tend to burn out quicker or die quicker...well, my 280 was overclocked out of the box...

Overclocking shouldn't make your card die quicker, especially not a factory overclocked card. Sometimes you just get a dud, unfortuanatly you had bad luck and it happened on a BFG card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:48:15 AM

Helltech said:
If ATI was the ONLY company making GPUs you would be paying out the ass for the. Without competition prices would be insane. Don't be rediculous.

Nvidia making graphics cards is healthy for the consumer, even if you don't like them. They are essential.

Do you honestly not know how competition works. Did you not finish buisness or economics? Competing companies bring down prices, and force companies to one up each other. If it wasn't for this competition technology wouldn't be advancing as rapidly as it has been. There would ne no inncentive to create better technology.

I'm gonna assume you're kidding me with this one. I know what bang-for-buck is, that's why I only buy ATI cards. Maybe your memory isn't so good but I don't remember nVidia giving us a good deal until they got this recent kicking from ATI.

Long may it continue. Like you said, nVidia has enough cash reserves that they can afford to give us some better deals for a while yet, right? :sarcastic: 
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:50:49 AM

Helltech said:
MSI Afterburner is the best to use, I think it works with ATI cards, I'm not sure acutally haha.
CCC, Speedfan, RealTemp all should be able to do this however.
Overclocking shouldn't make your card die quicker, especially not a factory overclocked card. Sometimes you just get a dud, unfortuanatly you had bad luck and it happened on a BFG card.

It does work fine with ATI cards. I don't believe any of the other options you listed actually let you use an onscreen display during gaming.
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:50:57 AM

eyefinity said:
I'm gonna assume you're kidding me with this one. I know what bang-for-buck is, that's why I only buy ATI cards. Maybe your memory isn't so good but I don't remember nVidia giving us a good deal until they got this recent kicking from ATI.

Long may it continue. Like you said, nVidia has enough cash reserves that they can afford to give us some better deals for a while yet, right? :sarcastic: 

You entirely missed the point. Go pick up an Econ 101 book, and learn about how competition is healthy for the consumer. If you knew anything, you would know the competetion between the two companies drops prices down for BOTH companies.

And I'm done spamming the forums, if you want to reply to this send me a private message. I'll be more then glad to answer it.

jyjjy said:
It does work fine with ATI cards. I don't believe any of the other options you listed actually let you use an onscreen display during gaming.

Neat, I've never had to really worry about it becuase I use a second screen to monitor temps. Good to know.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:53:44 AM

eyefinity said:
I know what bang-for-buck is, that's why I only buy ATI cards.

In general the GTX 460 and GTX 470 are both currently better deals for the money in terms of performance compared to the HD5830 and HD5850. Once again you don't know what you are talking about.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 23, 2010 2:56:06 AM

eyefinity said:

Another clueless fanboi post. Guess you never heard of the 8800 gt ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series
Quote:
The release of this card presents an odd dynamic to the graphics processing industry. At an NVIDIA projected initial street price of around $200, this card outperforms the ATI flagship HD2900XT and HD3870 in most situations, and even NVIDIA's own 8800 GTS 640MB (previously priced at an MSRP of $400). The card, only marginally slower in synthetic and gaming benchmarks than the 8800 GTX, also takes much of the value away from NVIDIA's own high end card. This release was shortly followed by the (EVGA) 8800 GTS SSC (the original 8800 GTS re-released with 96+ (112) shader processor units), and ATI's counter, the HD 3800 series.

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:04:42 AM

Helltech said:
You entirely missed the point. Go pick up an Econ 101 book, and learn about how competition is healthy for the consumer. If you knew anything, you would know the competetion between the two companies drops prices down for BOTH companies.

No I really didn't miss the point, but seeing as I'm feeling generous I'll let you into a little secret that your economics 101 didn't tell you about.

ATI has been kicking nVidia around for years, the metric being price/performance. The problem is, those who are less well educated don't really get the whole price/performance thing - they just see performance.

nVidia sold a lot of cards at massively inflated prices for a long time, even though ATI had great price/performance. Like AMW1011 said, nVidia still holds equal market share despite of all this.

The reason for that is, nVidia is a brand. nVidia gets away with this because of the brand. This is why people like the OP "prefer" nVidia cards even though they go bust within a year. This is why people who really have no clue go on and on about driver issues with ATI - they are just repeating the brand favouritism they have read from nVidia fanboys on this site and others.

It's not equal because nVidia continues to impress the majority of ignorant buyers with inferior technology. The only good situation for the consumer is an nVidia that is losing, and losing hard. If they cannot survive before they run out of all their billions in cash we will know for sure that they didn't deserve to.
Score
August 23, 2010 3:05:56 AM

I also use two monitors...the second one runs my PC Probe, and cpu usage and nvidia gadgets...
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:06:51 AM

jyjjy said:
In general the GTX 460 and GTX 470 are both currently better deals for the money in terms of performance compared to the HD5830 and HD5850. Once again you don't know what you are talking about.

Gotta love the way people like you forget about the $800 8800 ultras of yesteryear. All is forgiven now because nVidia have been forced into selling the 460 at firesale prices. :na: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:17:45 AM

Homeuser said:
I also use two monitors...the second one runs my PC Probe, and cpu usage and nvidia gadgets...

Its seems as if those two have forgotten what this topic was about, PM me with queries and ill help you out! ;) 

-Joe
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:24:31 AM

Dude, the only reason ATI was ahead in price vs performance was because they were BEHIND.

The G80s were overpriced because ATI FAILED FOR OVER 2 YEARS TO BE COMPETITIVE. The 2xxx series and the 3xxx series were both completely underwhelming. The G92 was the nail in the coffin for the 3xxx series. The GTX 2xx series was sold at high prices until ATI came out with a competitive product, finally. In that series they did have compelling products. Both ATI and nVidia produced great products for the price in that round. Then ATI had their 6 month lead with the 5xxx series. This was the first time ATI WASN'T behind since 2005. Then nVidia came out with the GTX 4xx series and was somewhat competitive. Then a few months later we are here. The GTX 460 was released and the GTX 470 and GTX 480 had their prices cut. Now nVidia is in the lead with Price/performance and pure performance. ATI will retake much of that in a few months, with some new additions from nVidia keeping them competitive. The rest is unknown.

If you were counting, ATI was behind for 2-3 years, while nVidia was behind for less than a year. By your logic, ATI is already long dead...

Also, don't start on about the cost of these cards. Yes, the G200 and G100 cards have given nVidia less profit than the R700 and R800. However, beforehand nVidia had all profit, and ATI had virtually none.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with ATI. I also think SI will put them back on top in a few months. However, the notion that nVidia is behind ATI in finances, or that there is any reason to believe nVidia may fail is completely ludicrous and, quite simply, retarded.
Score
!