XFX HD 5770 overheating issue at stock clocks

mzaidas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hey TH guyz,I have XFX Radeon HD 5770 at the DEFAULT clocks 850/1200 MHz .
At the idol clocks ( 400/1200 M ) i get an idol temperature of 50 C -55 C in an air conditioned room and 88 C- 93,94 C approx under full load !

I have one side of my casing opened and its lying like a desktop casing facing the big room ceiling fan directly so it shouldnt be the casing or air flow issue.

I heard that the idol temps should be at max 38 C and full load temp should not touch 90s danger zone but it should be around 70 C.

Can u plz help me cool this thing down cz i wanna make those temps stable and overclock it too but those temps are scarin the hell out of me as its a brand new card(2 weeks maybe).
Thnkx in advance.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Temps depend on lots of factors, ie my 5770 is really cool during winter (30c) but not so cool during the summer (45c on hot days).

I think yours is a bit higher than it should be, so maybe you need to check your cables aren't interrupting airflow. Even if you have the side of your case open, you still need good airflow inside the case or the card will just get hotter and hotter. Try a front fan and a side one if you have slots to place them in your case. :)

Doom3klr

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
run at least one intake fan in the front. One on the side and at least 1 exhaust in the back. Plus the power supply exhaust and make sure cables are neat and routed out of the video cards way good luck.

mzaidas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
But it shoots to 90 -93 C when running crysis or gta IV or under fulll load.w
hich is dangerous. How can i keep it under max temp of 85 C which is safe ? the thing i tried are:- (my ambient temp is 28-32 C)
-1- Keeping all the wires at a side so they wont interrupt air flow.
-2- Allowing direct air on my GPU n some good air flow too.(I ll install the fans later cause i wanna test it first if that ll help)
I think my card is overheating . Isn`t it ? cz my cousinz 5850 has temps lower than that .Do u agree ?Can it be defective piece ?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'd say at a glance its overheating, Send it back for RMA and get a new one unless you want to buy a whole GPU Cooler kit(which, for a 5770 isn't ideal, plus its obvious the cards faulty)

mzaidas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Can anyone here tell me the IDOL and LOAD TEMPs of an HD 5770 card in your sight so i might be able to compare it myself.(cause its a bit warm around here too)

Here is a screenie of my temps on a Sapphire 5770 - You mention the idle clock on yours is 400\1200 - do you have your card OC'd ?? the normal idles are 157\300 on mine which lets the card idle really cool - yours is not getting a chance to cool off like that since it is always running at a much higher speed even when it is not needed which may be contributing to the excess heat in your system --- Also I runmine at 65% Fan speed all of the time (since at this speed the fan is still quieter than my case fans) - the default fan speed is like 20% or less and it will not increase until the card is in the 80's so you might want to check the fan speed. -- My card will get to the high 60's - low 70's after an hour or so of heavy gaming but never goes above mid 70's (in my room with an ambient temp of 78 - 85F) -- So your temps seem very high to me !!

temps.jpg

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Check to see that you are getting proper airflow through the case. Also note that by putting the case under a ceiling fan that is blowing air onto the case you are just pushing the hot air that is trying to get out of the case right back into the case. Hot air rises and the warmest air is at the top of the room. If you are still having issues, a new case may help. But you should also consider RMAing the card if you feel that airflow is not the issue.

blazed1k

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I think i'm having problem with mine too

I didnt do any test yet, but mine maxed up 69C after 2 hours of Starcraft 2.
And it idles at 50C with 400/1200.

Which drivers are you guys using?

I'm using 10.5 and it is working correctly (but I did not do a clean install so not sure if that is why - as the setting may have stayed from the 10.4 version I was using before updating !)

Open up MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z and it will tell you what Driver version is currently running on your system.

Yes I know that and it is running 10.5 -- but what I was saying is that when I updated to 10.5, I just ran the installer vs. removing the older version and then installing so there may be some setting left from the older version making the idle speed adjust correctly since I have heard others have some problems getting their idle speed to work correctly using 10.5 but as you can see from the screen I posted earlier it is idling at the 157/300 idle speed.

gotcha ;)

Well the 10.8's should be released soon, hopefully AMD can surprise us this time.

mzaidas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

So u recommend using 10.4 ? cz i thought that recent drivers are better at recent games? does that matter much ?

Helltech

Distinguished

Not always, while newer driver do tends to help FPS in games, sometimes new drivers can suck, and as OvrClkr said, some of the newer ATI drivers just arn't working for some people.

It would be better to use an older driver that doesn't give you a 5 fps performance boost, than a new driver that just causes problems are creates instability.

ubronan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Well lol those temps don't scare me one bit my 5870 under loads get 93 c and i can tell you thats fine ... it gets dangerous when the temperature goes over 100c constant, there is probably a minor difference with mine since my fan runs at 33% when doing that ;)

Now i agree the idle temps looks to me also like your card is not getting enough airflow

And the issue with the memory not switching to idle setting, i got them solved with the newest catalyst version 10.5 or 10.7a now this is a beta driver and i can't say if it will work for you
When you play for instance starcraft 2 you want this beta driver.
But again i warn those who think it does not matter to uninstall the old drivers..... YOUR WRONG your system becomes unstable ....
If your system still is unstable means there is probably still some crap left over from previous installs.
There is a toy out there which can help you get rid of that google for it

So uninstall the old and reboot and install the newer version and your fine.

mzaidas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
SO after a lot of testing and time wasting my FINAL temps in GOOD AIR FLOW(could actually feel the somewhat cool moving air below the fan)and in an ambient temp of (25- 28 C) are :-

http://j.imagehost.org/0312/Stabilty_n_TAEMP_test.jpg

So what do to do now ?
Should i :-
1- RMA this card ?Reapply the thermal paste myself or lapping(never done dat before)?
OR
2- Concentrate on getting the BEST air flow i can and Stay with this one if its results seem to be looking good?(i do wanna overclock AND stay around 85C at the OVC cores)

p.s. (also do compare my temps to this guy "JDFan`s" temps http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/JDFanning_bucket/temps.jpg )

93c at load is way off dude! The 5870 runs cold so if you are getting those temps you either have a crazy room temp, bad airflow or you are leaving the fan on auto. Anything over 90c is going to decrease the cards lifespan, this is a fact so if I were you I would create some sort of fan curve using Afterburner or jack up the fan speed to 100% under load. Take care of your hardware if you want it to last ;)

steveb64

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I've been having similar problems - 2x 5770's in crossfire, with an ASUS D2X audio card in the 3rd PCIe slot (Rampage II Ext. MB). Running the 'Furmark' stress test was getting temps of 106-107C! 100+ in COD.
Tried updating BIOS - No success.
Removed one card - and the overheat problem went away. I could even overclock without any problems.

At this point, I figured the problem was insufficient air getting INTO the fan on the GPU (as I have an ANTEC 1200 case, with the side fan installed, it wasn't due to not enough air getting into (or out of) the case), and noted that the clearance between the GPU fan intake and the back of the adjacent card was only a couple of mm's.

I noted that the cards (Gigabyte R577UD-1) have a ring (sort of) shaped 'shroud' on the top of the plastic fan cover, which obstructed several millimeters of the clear space between each GPU and the rear of the adjacent card - so I tried cutting a 3cm slot out - tested - still no change. THEN I removed the entire shroud (just the ring shaped bit on top - it unclips easily), and tested again - SUCCESS! AN instant 20+ deg C drop in max temperature, and 15-20 C drop in idle temp. I can now overclock using the ATI auto-clocker, and general graphics performance and reliability has improved.

G

Hello to everyoneone. I have - ati radeon 5770 the xfx edition. Same problem after a while it was heating way to much. One mounth i tried to fix the problem ... I thought the card it defective. It was going at 95C in any game ... So yesterday I got pissed off and I opened the case of the card. And what to see .... The metal that it is on the CPU was full of dust like 1 cm of dus on it. I was :eek: I took a brush and i cleaned it all. I tested it again and magic my graphic hard doesn't pass in crysis 2 ultra settings 49C :D Idle at 33-34C . I think this is the problem to most of u guys. Just open it *** warranty ... clean it and save ur graphic card . Success
Sorry for my english... Is my second language.