Western Digital WD Green 3TB vs Barracuda 3TB

pirateslug

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
1st question: Hi. My question is which one is best suited for my needs? I'm going to use the harddrive for OS Windows 7, video games, movies, music, files and so on.

And I leave my pc on for 1-2 full days before turning it off and letting it rest.

Which one is most reliable and doesn't break? Or if there's a better harddrive let me know please.

2nd question: Does it matter what mode the BIOS is in which installing a new HDD/Windows 7? Does it matter if it's in RAID or another mode and if yes, which is the best mode and why?

Thanks in advance!

The Barracuda, quite simply because for an OS drive you want performance. Green drives spin slower to save power, and are only really intended for storage purposes.

You want the drive to be in AHCI mode. Simply because unless you intend to have the drives in RAID theres no reason to do that, and IDE limits its performance.

jemm

Distinguished
Green is for Low Power Storage, as stated above -- perhaps you want to have a look at WD Blue Series which are for Daily Computing, or still getting the Barracuda.