Need advice on what video card for Core2Quad ~3.5GHz

opt1x

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I'm currently running an old LGA 775 motherboard, with:
- Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

My plan is to ride out this system a little bit longer and then build a completely new system within a couple years, but I want to be able to upgrade my CPU to the highest level on that motherboard (which would be a Core 2 Quad), and find a video card that would nicely complement it.

The processor I'm looking at now is this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_ [...] id=0328258

The video card I'm not too sure about, and this is where I need your help. I don't want any bottlenecking to occur, either through my CPU or GPU. There's no point in upgrading to a Core2Quad if my GPU is going to limit my power or upgrade to a super nice GPU if my Core2Quad will limit me as well.

All I'm asking is: What would be a great video card to go with that core2quad? Money is not an issue, but like I said previously I really don't want to buy a nice video card that will be limited by an older processor.

Someone mentioned going with a Radeon 5770. Can the Core2Quad keep up with the high-end GPUs of today?

The game that I really want to perform at its best is SC2, which I hear is mainly CPU bound. Definitely also Diablo 3 when it comes out ;)

Solution
Other then some of the newest games and multi-tasking the c2d quad core will not help that much. They are also extremely over-priced compared to the newer I series. If I were you I'd just save the cash from the processor to building your new comp and buy a 1gb 460 which should work very nice. Then when you do buy your new comp you can just buy another one have a very fast sli solution.

ice919

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Other then some of the newest games and multi-tasking the c2d quad core will not help that much. They are also extremely over-priced compared to the newer I series. If I were you I'd just save the cash from the processor to building your new comp and buy a 1gb 460 which should work very nice. Then when you do buy your new comp you can just buy another one have a very fast sli solution.

Solution