Sign in with
Your question

Nocuta NH-14D Question

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2011 9:11:03 PM

Hey guys i need to pick the brains of the readers here.

Im in the process of building a new rig. Im using an intel i7 960 chip, asus p6d58xd-e motherboard. Patriot Viper 2 Sector 7 series ram and i was planning on using the noctua NH-D14 for cooling but after seeing the fins on this ram im wondering if there will be a clearance issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

More about : nocuta 14d question

a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 9:25:57 PM

Generally with the NH-D14 you lose the 1st ram slot, check your board on the Noctua compatibility page.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&pr...

Quote:
Caution:
The NH-D14 is a big cooler that extends over the first RAM slots on most mainboards. The cooler offers sufficient clearance for all standard size memory modules, but you won’t be able to use memory modules higher than 44mm. Corsair Dominator DDR3 modules can be used if the top heatspreader is removed as shown here

You could get the Silver Arrow or Venomous X instead, think the Arrow has better clearance and is as good.
I've just brought the Ven-X black because I think the Noctuas are just so ugly.
m
l
January 2, 2011 10:06:22 PM

The Viper II's are exactly 4.4cm according to patriot so it should fit (im guessing its going to be awefully snug tho...) unless my math is out to lunch...

I was also debating using the NH-14C if the 14D was not going to work. Whats your guys thoughts on this?
m
l
January 2, 2011 10:06:28 PM

The Viper II's are exactly 4.4cm according to patriot so it should fit (im guessing its going to be awefully snug tho...) unless my math is out to lunch...

I was also debating using the NH-14C if the 14D was not going to work. Whats your guys thoughts on this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 10:16:42 PM

I also considered the 14C, awesome cooler and keeps your components cool.

If you can live with the Noctua colour scheme then go for it, like I say I went with the sexy Ven-X Black.

From testing I have seen the big boys do have the cooling power but only by a few C, I was just put off by the shear size and look of them but each to their own.
m
l
!