More than one ATI FirePro 2460?

smoores

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Can I put more than one ATI FirePro 2460 (Quad monitor video card) in the same system?
I'd like to drive 6 monitors initially but would like the option to easily add two more if needed.
Required for charts and boring (to most) financial stuff; no games.
Will 2 2640s play well together or is there is a better solution for up to 6 or 8 monitors?
Thanks in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are several HD5XXX and HD4XXX GPUs that will save you signifcant $$$ and provide the multi-monitor config you want. What sort of connector (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc), how many by type, do you want to connect?

Is the intent to have up to 6 monitors display the same information or to have them display different information? Or, is this to be one large display (across the multiple monitors)?

smoores

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I'm looking for DVI (or VGA), and different information on each monitor; so it doesn't matter if it is one big desktop or multiple desktops as long as separate windows and applications can be displayed on each monitor.

jimbob42

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Am looking at the 2460 for a trading computer. I like it as it's passive cooling and designed for workstation graphics not game playing. There is one trading computer firm that know uses this in their configurations.
Will be interested if you do get this
thanks

smoores

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, that's exactly what I am putting together is a trading computer. I decided to go with a single 2460 driving 4 monitors and a totally separate computer driving the other two monitors. I also like the no-fan to wear out cooling on the 2460. The separate computer gives me diversity and less points where a single failure can take me off the exchange. Call it risk management :)

rpolderm

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

I am looking for exactly the same setup - one I-Core 7 with 4 *24" monitors for charting and a seperate I-Core-7 with 2* 24" for trade execution.
Would like to hear what you've decided ?!

smoores

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I did exactly what you are planing :) I use 6 X 22" in a 3 wide, X 2 high array. The 22s are all 1920 x 1080 which 4 of them running off the 2460 card from my main computer. My second machine that runs the other two, 22" displays (is a just a 3Ghz Dual core and it is more than fast enough). There is a bit of neck strain with three 22" monitors side by side (looking back and forth) so I expect 24" might be more than you need, the 22"s wide screens suit me fine. The whole setup (video wise) was around $1K I suppose and has already paid for itself a few times over as you can see 20 - 30 streaming charts all at once (depending on what you are trading). Being able to see so many different markets (forex, commodities, stocks, indexes) as they are all inter-related gives you an edge, there is no doubt about it! I was able to get cheap VESA wall mounts (but still with tilt and swivel for the top row of monitors). Even when a trade goes against you (and if none do then you should be the richest person in the world), you'll understand why a lot quicker and exit sooner before you get stopped out. So even though you're not going to be superman with this setup, even your loosing trades lose less and the winners end up even better as your timing is so much better because you can actually see EVERYTHING. I love it and so does my portfolio. Worth doing at ten times the price.

rpolderm

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks Smoores,

I'm trading ES Futures only and have my monitors setup in PIVOT stand (vertical). I was wondering if the ATI 2460 comes with 4 mini displayport to DVI adapters or just 1 in the box ?
Of course some trades do go against you but don't make it to difficult - keep it simple !

smoores

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, it came with 4 mini to DVI pigtails. I had some smaller monitors I was thinking of using with it but they don't have DVI inputs, just VGA so no joy there. I even have DVI to VGA adapter cables but the DVI out of the 2460 is digital only so they won't work. So with the 2460 all your monitors MUST be DVI-in which is better that way anyways. Look for the USD to rally soon (somewhere between 1 hour from now and 2 weeks max) and take other currencies down. When this happens you'll get a good number of full handles in the ES futures if you on the right side of the trade: How the SPX (ES-mini) will react I couldn't say for sure but I think you are in for some volitility (opportunity) in the next couple of weeks.

frogblender

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I have a 2460 that came without the MiniDP-to-DVI pigtails.
- Does anyone have an ATI partnumber for these?
- Can anyone state whether these pigtails are active or passive? There are lots on ebay for Mac - will these work?

I plan to drive 3 DVI 1600x1200 displays.

Much thanks in advance!

iGaming

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
frogblender -- I think if they were active it would be much more expensive for ATI to include 4 of them. I couldn't find any on ebay that were OEM from ATI, they are all after market. I don't see a reason why these shouldn't work, I could be wrong though.
-----------------

I'm also configuring a setup for trading financial markets. I found the 2460 meets my need for multiple monitors, but I don't know if I can use different sized monitors.

For example: I will have one 19" monitor with native resolution of 1280 x 1024 and two identical 23" inch monitors with native resolution of 1920 x 1080. I want to group these monitors into a landscape configuration with the 19" in the center for order execution and the two 23" on the left and right for charts.

On the data sheet from ATI it has this message though:

Important: When using mini DisplayPort-to-singlelink DVI
adapters, quad output is divided into two pairs (displays 1 and
2, and displays 3 and 4). The displays used in each pair must
be identical (with the same manufacturer and model number)
and must be identically configured (with the same resolution).
The pairs do not have to be identical to each other, however

My big question is am I fine running three monitors using different native resolutions with this configuration?

guidinggod

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

Hi - I came across this thread by chance and I'm glad i did! I am looking to build my new trading pc and I want to run 4 screens as well, using this card (Firepro 2460). The problem is that my monitors do not have native displayports, just dvi-d.....
u mention that u use your main pc to run 4 22" lcd's with firepro 2460 - are ur lcd's displayport capable? also, which operating system are u running (win 7/xp? - 32/64 bit?)

thanks

tr8der

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Running Windows 7 and we are using (3) Ati Firepro 2460's and just added (1) Ati Firepro 2450. Trying to get (16) Dell U2211H (Ultrasharp 21.5") monitors to work on (1) desktop. The 2460's worked great using the (3) PCEe slots onboard.

Ran into noticeable performance lag with the addition of the 2450 card, using the PCIe x1 slot. Test .wmv showed serious rendering latency problem. Performance across the board has been affected.

MB is ASUS Sabertooth X58

Anyone know how to improve the rendering latency problem?

Thanks,

Tr8der

guidinggod

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks for the reply - havn't been able to find reviews for this card anywhere - I will be running 4x 1080 displays and I was wondering if it would run 1080p encoded videos on all 4 monitors, or flash content etc on all 4 monitors as well as other usual multimedia everyday tasks - some of our presentations are in those formats - will this card be able to handle those apart from my trading and charting software? thanks for your help

nicklucas

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Your setup is exactly what I am going for at the moment but am hesitant to purchase the ATI FirePro 2460 at the moment until I know it will fit in my computer. It says it is low profile, does that mean that it comes with an adaptor to convert it to a low profile card if you wish? Or is it just low profile and that's it?

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
I am trying to get a new Trader desktop config setup. The setup is a Win XP 32-bit setup with 8 HP 22" LCD monitors (with Display Port to Mini display Port cables) and two ATI FirePro 2460 cards.

The drivers install fine for the cards, but only 4 of the video feeds appear to be recognized. Two feeds from card 1 and two feeds from the 2nd card. No matter how I try and configure the monitors (either through Windows or through the ATI Catalyst control software) I cannot get the system to recognize more than 4 monitors in all.

I'm run into a similar sitation with a different ATI card ... where I had a Win XP box and the card had 3 video outputs on it but the system would only recognize 2 of the video feeds at a time. In that situation when I installed the same card on a Win 7 64-bit it worked fine with all three video feeds and didn't even need to install the ATI Catalyst control software.

Has anyone else tried to install two of these 2460 cards on a Win XP box?

OzMQ

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

I had the same problem with two NVIDIA NVS 450 and Windows XP. The system would only recognise up to four displays. I was advised to upgrade my Windows and problem solved.

debeege

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need 'active display port adapters'. without the 'active' you will have issues with max resolution.

Also, i wouldnt try running 8 monitors off xp because XP only supports 3gig of ram.

Im on 16gig of ram, and a samsung 840pro SSD, which i recommend. Im thinking of upgrading my CPU though, anyone had any experience with Xeon's? Are they worth it compared to say the latest i7 chips (3930k)? Atm ive also got x2 Radeon 6850's but was thinking about x2 2460's to reduce electric bill, and improve noise pollution..... recommended upgrade?

cheers

NetTechie

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

I found this post using google, for anyone reading it I think the issue was not the x1 slot with the 2450, it was a different issue. The 2450 uses a completely different driver package, as it is an older video card than the 2460's, and so it actually replaces the current 2460 driver with an outdated 2460 driver while also installing the 2450 driver. I'm surprised they even worked together. I tried a 2260, same generation as the 2450, and when I installed the 2260 drivers (same package of drivers that are used on 2450), it replaced and outdated my 2460 drivers, causing instant issues (Aero stopped working for example). I run Windows 7 64bit.

You can buy a x1 to x16 slot converter from StarTech, for about $27, and run four 2460's instead of trying the x1 version of the 2450 in your x1 slot. The converter requires you to replace the mounting plate on the 2460 with a low profile mounting plate, which comes included with the 2460 card. Running only 2460's should fix the performance issues caused by the mismatched drivers when running a 2450 in the same system as a 2460.