Sign in with
Your question

PSU: Cheap (with GPU combo) or expensive (high quality?)?

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2011 10:45:45 PM

Hello:

1. I feel like a noob because I come here to ask all my questions...

2. The GPU I'm planning on buying for my upcoming rig is the GIGABYTE 6850 ultra durable VGA version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I plan to crossfire it later... I believe it only requires 1 6-pin connector, so 2 6-pin connectors are necessary. I can buy a combo with a RAIDMAX PSU and save some money (more on that later).

3. I have a gazillion fans in my case. 5 120mm fans (plus a ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX later for overclocking)

4. Do LEDs drain a significant amount of power?

This is the combo deal @ NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

It is either I buy this with the GPU or I buy the Corsair:

Is the price difference worth it for a decrease in quality and expandability? The PSU would go well with my case though (I have the RAIDMAX Quantum).

5. Is there a limit to the questions I can ask? (I go here for my tech info)
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:03:13 PM

That Raidmax PSU is junk. I would not get it. If you can afford the 6850 and the Corsair then I'd do that.
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:05:08 PM

NEVER EVER buy a Raidmax power supply if you like your computer.
They are cheap throw away junk. Meaning if you buy a case with one take it out and throw it in the recycle bin.

You can ask as many computer questions as you would like. Most answers are from computer junkies (enthusiast) and answer questions in there spare time. I'm one of those.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:10:22 PM

We charge $100 per a question.

*rolls eyes*

Ofc you can ask as many as you want.
January 2, 2011 11:11:25 PM

Is it worth $70 difference?

Do you have a good recommendation for overclocking though? I managed to cut corners at other places in my (online) build so maybe 100-200 dollars PSU. Can you check out my build on NewEgg though? I need some "proofreading".

exactly as follows: AM3 - $1000 COMPLETE (without the case)

Thanks in advance!
January 2, 2011 11:12:03 PM

Randomacts said:
We charge $100 per a question.

*rolls eyes*

Ofc you can ask as many as you want.

Its because it seems to good to be true! :) 
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:14:10 PM

wigglerthefish said:
Its because it seems to good to be true! :) 

Since when is there a post limit on forums EVER?

Anyways..... raidmax make good fireworks....

But thats about all.

Stay with good brands like Cosair and Seasonic and your gold.

January 2, 2011 11:22:07 PM

Quote:
SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE

http://bit.ly/anFkSI

How come you always find my noobish questions?

Anyway... Can you find a better one with more watts and PCIe 6+2 conections? (upgrading). WOuld 620W be enough to OC my GPU(s) and CPU?
January 2, 2011 11:26:12 PM

Quote:
CORSAIR HX 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular

SeaSonic X650 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular

Look for those two at newegg

Nice
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:27:50 PM

wigglerthefish said:
Is it worth $70 difference?

Do you have a good recommendation for overclocking though? I managed to cut corners at other places in my (online) build so maybe 100-200 dollars PSU. Can you check out my build on NewEgg though? I need some "proofreading".

exactly as follows: AM3 - $1000 COMPLETE (without the case)

Thanks in advance!

Lets see you are spending $1000 dolars on parts and then you put a power supply in it that WILL fail. And in doing so kills the motherboard processor memory etc........

It is definately worth it to buy a good power supply. It is the heart of the system!
I gave my beloved 5700 ultra to a friend for his computer. He said he had a new 400watt power supply. Installed the card. Loaded drivers. Started 3DMark 2001 to test for stability. 30 seconds later computer shuts down with a pop and sizzle. Fried video, ram and motherboard.
Although they offered to replace the power supply under warranty. the other parts were not covered.
January 2, 2011 11:31:32 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Lets see you are spending $1000 dolars on parts and then you put a power supply in it that WILL fail. And in doing so kills the motherboard processor memory etc........

It is definately worth it to buy a good power supply. It is the heart of the system!
I gave my beloved 5700 ultra to a friend for his computer. He said he had a new 400watt power supply. Installed the card. Loaded drivers. Started 3DMark 2001 to test for stability. 30 seconds later computer shuts down with a pop and sizzle. Fried video, ram and motherboard.
Although they offered to replace the power supply under warranty. the other parts were not covered.

Thanks for the heads up!
January 2, 2011 11:35:36 PM

Quote:
Your link there at the combo say bad request

Maybe its because I'm logged in and the URL is specific to me... Oh well. I have been convinced that the PSU is junk so it doesn't matter anymore.
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2011 11:38:07 PM

What do you expect. A Raidmax is a bad request. :) 
January 2, 2011 11:39:05 PM

Unolocogringo said:
What do you expect. A Raidmax is a bad request. :) 

Well I love my case though.
January 2, 2011 11:41:50 PM

Quote:
Its a shame you couldnt squeezed the Gtx 460 Tallon Attack in there since you love overclocking. You would really enjoy that puppy

Well I don't "love" OCing since I haven't done any! I got my first internet enabled computer about 2 years ago (I am new to the game!). Are there any tutorials? Or a place to find out what all the terms mean?
January 2, 2011 11:45:20 PM

Quote:
What setup were you going for?

I want to OC the 955BE to @ least 4.0GHz on the Zalman CNPS9900MAX. And OC the 6850 to ~900MHz/1100MHz (and Xfire them! WHOO!)
January 2, 2011 11:49:52 PM

Quote:
I learned one way. Your learn by f ing up and then spent a week on google to fix it. That's how you learn lol

But seriously what setup were you looking into Amd or Intel?

AMD. I think I said earlier (couple scroll notches up) the name for the NewEgg wishlist (build).
January 2, 2011 11:53:09 PM

Quote:
my friends wife bought him the 955 with the Msi board and the V6t cooler setup for xmas. So I put it together for her. That board has a OC dail lol hit 4ghz stable with it within 45 min. 4.2 it was a lil edgy didn't have time to fine tune so I dropped it down to 4 again. Easiest OC I've ever seen and done.

Does temp increase stability? With the CNPS9900MAX, there are some (really) good temp on the 1090t OC, so on a 4-core (!!!). Maybe 4.5Ghz?
January 3, 2011 12:01:18 AM

Quote:
ASRock EXTREME3: AM3 770SATA6Gb/s USB3.0 ATX
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2GHz 6MB L3 125W Quad-Core
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9 1.5v
Samsung F31TB SATAII 3.0Gb/s
ASUS SATA24X DVDBurner
Zalman CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler

There's roughly a setup you can look into

The only difference in the setup I have right now is 4GB of RAM (@1600MHz though), the size of the HD. and the cooler.

Do you know if the CNPS10X is "better" than the 9900MAX?
January 3, 2011 12:07:26 AM

Quote:
They did some voltage scaling with the 1090T at hwbot.org. They started with temps like -195 degrees lol. You must check out that site. Gtx580 cooled with nitrogen

Now the Tallon Attack I mentioned earlier can be OC to close to 1ghz with its cooling and the volt mods Msi did

I'll need an SLI MOBO... It'l probably exceed my $1000 limit. :( 
January 3, 2011 12:09:08 AM

Quote:
ASRock EXTREME3: AM3 770SATA6Gb/s USB3.0 ATX
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2GHz 6MB L3 125W Quad-Core
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9 1.5v
Samsung F31TB SATAII 3.0Gb/s
ASUS SATA24X DVDBurner
Zalman CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler

There's roughly a setup you can look into

Never mind... No CNPS 10X (won't clear RipJaws.)
January 3, 2011 12:13:40 AM

Quote:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1260/5/

You talking about that article. I know it beats the hyper with around 7 degrees.

ZALMAN CNPS10X Flex – Requires 120mm fan though refined version also a good one.
Are you going for SSD or Raid-0?

SSD. If I can get the RevoDrive I will. If not I'll get the 64GB S-ATA 3 model and be happy with that (crucial). Is there a software to transfer everything (including windows)?
January 3, 2011 12:15:58 AM

Quote:
What case do you have or are you going to get?

Raidmax quantum. It has 5 fans so I think I'm good there. I can't change my case though. What's the point? I have it and i like it.
January 3, 2011 12:18:01 AM

Quote:
What case do you have or are you going to get?

Disregard this sorry notice your thread on the previous page. You already got a cooler and case

All I have is the case...
January 3, 2011 12:25:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah didnt know you had the case. On the phone at the moment so everything is on different pages sorry.

Have a look at this ssd
Corsair Nova 2.5″ 32GB SATA II SSD

You can use it for your OS then get a bigger mechanical one for your storage. Or you can go with a 4xway samsung F4 raid setup if your brave lol

sorry for being so demanding. I wonder if i could put windows AND games on the 32GB... Seems like a long shot though. I have a 500GB external being used for backups and whatnot. Maybe I can install the OS on the SSD and put everything else on the ext.
January 3, 2011 12:38:07 AM

Quote:
For a 100usd you can this one its Sandforce based which supports trim

Mushkin Callisto 2.5″ 40GB SATA II SSD
Intel X25-V 40GB

For 120usd

OCZ Agility 2 60GB

For around 130usd
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

Remember that first Corsair ain't Sandforce based
Then ssd need to have 22 free percent or they're performance degrade a lot

WHat about this?

January 3, 2011 12:59:36 AM

If I RAID 0 them later... Can you add a raid to a drive after the OS/programs have been installed? I saw someone's results on NewEgg (~500Mbs READ AND WRITE FOR LESS THAN A REVODRIVE). You know though, I still don't have the money to get one now. My budget is about 70-80.
January 3, 2011 1:10:59 AM

Never MIND!!! RAID 5 coming up! Will onboard RAID yield the same performance as a separate RAID card? My MOBO (will) support(s) it, but I want faster if I can.
January 3, 2011 1:45:47 AM

Quote:
See the problem with Raid-0 with ssd are TRIM at the moment and lack of support with it. But two samsungs F4 in Raid-0 gives you something like 300mb/s and that's 720gb for around 80bucks!

Can I do a RAID 0 and then do a RAID 5 with more drives later? And transfer all the files with an external HDD back to the (new) Raid 5?
January 3, 2011 2:18:19 AM

K. One more, can I raid different drives (f4 320 Gb with f4 2TB)? I need a RAID for dummies book. I have to many questions to ask 1 person.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2011 2:23:17 AM

nid PSU 6PIN 2X SECONDHAND
January 3, 2011 2:25:31 AM

Quote:
nid PSU 6PIN 2X SECONDHAND

Sorry, but his thread is no longer about the PSU anymore (oddly). Thanks though.
January 3, 2011 2:30:45 AM

Quote:
There you go 2nd hand almost spanking new

http://bit.ly/5SfOPQ

Sadly, I don't think this will run 2 OC'd 6850s, an OC'd 955BE (4GHz), and a RAID 5 (4 spinpoints)...
January 3, 2011 2:35:40 AM

Quote:
You can do a software raid yes but you can't install a OS on it. Windows call it dynamic disks.

If you really want to do some research into it go to hardwaresecrets.com click on the tutorial under the hdd section. Very well written and easy to to understand.

Oh. I can buy an SSD for the OS and RAID for the rest. Probably install all the programs on the RAID.
January 3, 2011 2:41:59 AM

OHHHH!!! I thought "nid PSU" was a company... lol
January 3, 2011 2:43:47 AM

Quote:
there you go now your getting the idea. You can do a software raid then run the os of your ssd. Software raid doesn't have a performance loss to a hardware raid. So it will be fine

whats the difference?

hardware raid

software raid

I thought there is just "RAID"
January 3, 2011 2:45:44 AM

Quote:
there you go now your getting the idea. You can do a software raid then run the os of your ssd. Software raid doesn't have a performance loss to a hardware raid. So it will be fine

Can I move the Program Files folder from the SSD to the HDD? I can't get both, so the SSD first (and install programs) and then move all of it to the RAID HDD config (later)?
January 3, 2011 6:22:25 PM

I'll never use a Raidmax power supply again. When I built my first gaming computer back in 2004, I bought a Raidmax case that came with a 420W power supply. I really liked the case. I was thinking of buying a separate power supply, but I said to hell with it and used the one that came with the case. 3 years down the road I'm on my computer one day, I started smelling something burning. Go to get a drink, come back, and my computer was off, wouldn't turn back on. Went out and bought an Antec 500W, it's still running. The computer I got now has the Antec TP-750, which was $120, but at least it's high quality and is true wattage.

Never skimp on the power supply.
January 3, 2011 9:18:39 PM

Terry1212 said:
I'll never use a Raidmax power supply again. When I built my first gaming computer back in 2004, I bought a Raidmax case that came with a 420W power supply. I really liked the case. I was thinking of buying a separate power supply, but I said to hell with it and used the one that came with the case. 3 years down the road I'm on my computer one day, I started smelling something burning. Go to get a drink, come back, and my computer was off, wouldn't turn back on. Went out and bought an Antec 500W, it's still running. The computer I got now has the Antec TP-750, which was $120, but at least it's high quality and is true wattage.

Never skimp on the power supply.

I'm going with a sea sonic now! Worth the premium? (yet to see...). This way there is probably no chance of DOA which means no delays when I finally order the parts.
January 3, 2011 9:31:54 PM

Quote:
Software raid is being done inside windows. When you turn your disks into dynamic disk. The thing is you can't put your os on it.

Then the revo drives ain't as reliable as sata ssd and a lot of mobos can't boot from Pci-e so can't use it to install your OS on it

How do I do a hardware raid so I can install everything on one setup? I checked my budget, I don't have funds for both (barely the raid).
!