Hitachi xl2000 would not start

gcosta11

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello, my external drive would not start, evev the light does not light. Is there a fuse to be replaced or something else to try?

Solution
No replaceable fuse that I'm aware of. If it's a mains-powered drive, check that there's actually power getting to the pin connector on the end of the mains adapter cable at the drive end, using a mains tester which can read low voltages (typically arround 12v for most external hard drives).

If the mains adapter checks out okay, the drive is faulty. You can't even test it with the drive maker's diagnostic software if it won't spin up, so you can only assume that it's failed, (either electrically or mechanically, or both).

No replaceable fuse that I'm aware of. If it's a mains-powered drive, check that there's actually power getting to the pin connector on the end of the mains adapter cable at the drive end, using a mains tester which can read low voltages (typically arround 12v for most external hard drives).

If the mains adapter checks out okay, the drive is faulty. You can't even test it with the drive maker's diagnostic software if it won't spin up, so you can only assume that it's failed, (either electrically or mechanically, or both).

Solution

gcosta11

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Thanks Pill22. The main adapter works fine since I tried it in another external HD.

So if the problem is with the drive, there is no hope of saving my files... correct?

"Thanks Pill22. The main adapter works fine since I tried it in another external HD.

So if the problem is with the drive, there is no hope of saving my files... correct?
"

If the drive won't spin up there's no way of reading the data on it. You can try what's already been suggested -- remove the actual hard drive and put it into another enclosure. It should work then if the problem was with the circuit board in the old enclosure. But if the fault is with the drive itself a different enclosure won't help.

I have to say I'm surprised you saved your valuable files on only one drive, which means you have no backups. I wouldn't dare do that. I have three external hard drives which all contain the same data. I've had two external drives fail in the past 18 months. I replaced them straight away with a different brand.