Replaced SSD problems

Abzilla101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Ok, so my old Agility 3 SSD failed and I have chosen to replace it with a Samsung. I probably have done some steps with this incorrectly, but this is what I have done.

I replaced the unit and installed windows on the new SSD drive. I left my old WD drive with all of my data in it in place. Once windows loaded I am having trouble getting my old data back on my WD drive. I went into disk management and assigned the old drive a letter. It is now showing up as "New Volume (D:)." The problem is it is not recognizing any of my old files on the drive. Windows is basically loading like it is a brand new computer. When I go into my computer, the old hard drive has an icon on it that looks like two people's heads on the icon. My question for you all is how do I get my computer to actually recognize this old data. Like I have Norton on my old WD drive, but it is not showing up basically. It looks like I have to go into the new volume now and reinstall it. Did I do something terribly wrong in this process? Any help would be appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
It is generally best to do a clean install with only the SSD attached, but it probably would not have avoided this issue. I think that the two heads just mean a shared drive, and what you probably need to do is to take ownership of the files and folders like THIS.

edit: and as far as Norton, you would need to reinstall in any case with a fresh OS install.

Abzilla101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I took ownership of the program files and the whole D: itself and the two heads icon is still there and none of the programs are showing up still under the start menu. I still have to go into my computer and click on the D: to access anything, and then I still need to reinstall any programs that are in there again.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
u will need to re-install any programs that you had installed, even if the install directory is still on the WD.

Also, you'll need to change directory locations if you had, say you Documents folder on the WD as well. other than that, it sounds like it's working as expected.

Abzilla101

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Could you go over how to go about that. I had a lot of word documents in the WD that I can't access now. When I go to the computer name-pc that is on the drive it asks me if I want to restore files from this backup, but there is nothing to backup.

RealBeast

Titan
You need to take ownership of the files like THIS.