WinExit Settings for Default User

I am creating a computer image for a student lab. I used Group Policy to
apply the WinExit Screensaver to everyone who uses the computer. I edited
the Registry permissions per KB156677 so that non-Administrators can use it,
which appears to have solved that problem. (I applied the settings in the KB
article to Users, not Everyone, as the article instructs! I assume that
wouldn't be what is causing the problem below.)

The problem right now is that the settings for the screensaver (which are
crucial) do not apply for everyone who logs on; each user would have to
configure it separately. Everything else works fine. It comes up when it
should and logs the user off when it should, but the default settings are
unacceptible.

Besides using GP to apply the screensaver and doing the Registry edit, I
copied the WinExit screensaver file to System32, right clicked and chose
Configure to enter the settings and then Install (which appears to do nothing
but set it as your screensaver). The settings only apply to the account that
configured the settings.

What can I do besides copying a profile to get the settings to apply to
Default User? I don't know where those settings live, for one thing. Is it
possible that it DOES have to do with the fact that I used Users instead of
Everyone in the Registry edit?

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about winexit settings default user

    Charlie,

    See if this helps:

    How to create a custom default user profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am creating a computer image for a student lab. I used Group Policy to
    > apply the WinExit Screensaver to everyone who uses the computer. I edited
    > the Registry permissions per KB156677 so that non-Administrators can use
    > it,
    > which appears to have solved that problem. (I applied the settings in the
    > KB
    > article to Users, not Everyone, as the article instructs! I assume that
    > wouldn't be what is causing the problem below.)
    >
    > The problem right now is that the settings for the screensaver (which are
    > crucial) do not apply for everyone who logs on; each user would have to
    > configure it separately. Everything else works fine. It comes up when it
    > should and logs the user off when it should, but the default settings are
    > unacceptible.
    >
    > Besides using GP to apply the screensaver and doing the Registry edit, I
    > copied the WinExit screensaver file to System32, right clicked and chose
    > Configure to enter the settings and then Install (which appears to do
    > nothing
    > but set it as your screensaver). The settings only apply to the account
    > that
    > configured the settings.
    >
    > What can I do besides copying a profile to get the settings to apply to
    > Default User? I don't know where those settings live, for one thing. Is
    > it
    > possible that it DOES have to do with the fact that I used Users instead
    > of
    > Everyone in the Registry edit?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hi Ramesh -

    I am trying to avoid copying profiles to Default User.
    However, I was able to solve the problem -

    Since there was also another problem with a Desktop related setting in Group
    Policy (the wallpaper), I stopped using GP as the method to assign anything
    Desktop related, other than disabling screensaver password protection.
    I then configured the wallpaper and screensaver (including the
    WinExit-specific settings) in a test account, exported the following keys:
    HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop and HKCU\Control Panel\Screen Saver.logoff, logged
    on a Admin, edited the exported Registry files from "HKCU" to "HK_Users\Test,
    loaded a hive using the Default User's ntuser.dat, named it "Test" and
    imported each of the 2 Registry keys above. (Don't forget to unload the hive
    when finished!).

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Charlie,
    >
    > See if this helps:
    >
    > How to create a custom default user profile:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am creating a computer image for a student lab. I used Group Policy to
    > > apply the WinExit Screensaver to everyone who uses the computer. I edited
    > > the Registry permissions per KB156677 so that non-Administrators can use
    > > it,
    > > which appears to have solved that problem. (I applied the settings in the
    > > KB
    > > article to Users, not Everyone, as the article instructs! I assume that
    > > wouldn't be what is causing the problem below.)
    > >
    > > The problem right now is that the settings for the screensaver (which are
    > > crucial) do not apply for everyone who logs on; each user would have to
    > > configure it separately. Everything else works fine. It comes up when it
    > > should and logs the user off when it should, but the default settings are
    > > unacceptible.
    > >
    > > Besides using GP to apply the screensaver and doing the Registry edit, I
    > > copied the WinExit screensaver file to System32, right clicked and chose
    > > Configure to enter the settings and then Install (which appears to do
    > > nothing
    > > but set it as your screensaver). The settings only apply to the account
    > > that
    > > configured the settings.
    > >
    > > What can I do besides copying a profile to get the settings to apply to
    > > Default User? I don't know where those settings live, for one thing. Is
    > > it
    > > possible that it DOES have to do with the fact that I used Users instead
    > > of
    > > Everyone in the Registry edit?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    Thanks for the feedback Charlie. Yes, that's another way of doing it
    (preferable if you want to make minor changes to the default user)

    --

> [...]
    >> > should and logs the user off when it should, but the default settings
    >> > are
    >> > unacceptible.
    >> >
    >> > Besides using GP to apply the screensaver and doing the Registry edit,
    >> > copied the WinExit screensaver file to System32, right clicked and
    >> > chose
    >> > Configure to enter the settings and then Install (which appears to do
    >> > nothing
    >> > but set it as your screensaver). The settings only apply to the
    >> > account
    >> > that
    >> > configured the settings.
    >> >
    >> > What can I do besides copying a profile to get the settings to apply to
    >> > Default User? I don't know where those settings live, for one thing.
    >> > Is
    >> > it
    >> > possible that it DOES have to do with the fact that I used Users

Configuration Screensaver Windows XP