Next Gen: Console CPU's

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hey.

This is a little work i have done over what the next gen console's will use as CPU's (PS4/XBOX720?/WII2?)

PS4:
After the failure of Intel and Sony with Larrabee (or so they say) I would put my money on IBM PowerPC A2 16 core processor, who knows? Cell is simply stunning but I doubt they will use the 32 SPU version as its still very difficult to program for.

Pros:
16 cores for massive multi-tasking.
Low Watt version exists.

Cons:
Will be Expensive
Low Watt = Underclocked compared to original.

XBOX720(?):
High chance it will use AMD fusion CPU. The xenon isn't what I would call.... great but it gets the job done. no more IBM next time?

Pros:
Cheap.
Integrated GPU.

Cons:
Could turn out to be crap.

WII2(?):
Could end up being the CELL broadband engine or another last gen PowerPC (this gen right now)

Pros:
Very Cheap.
Proven.

Cons:
Last generation.
CELL is a [strike]*****[/strike]

Any case, what's your thoughts?

Sony will proabably stick with the Cell chip, now that people are starting to learn how to unlock its potential. In reality, I don't see a PS4 for a while yet, as the PS3 isn't tapped yet.

The 360 will probably stay with some form of X86 processor. Really, think of a dedicated gaming PC, thats what I expect the next xbox to be.

As for nintendo, the Wii was nothing more then a gamecube with motion controls. The Wii2 will be nothing more then the Wii with 3d/HD.