Upgraded ram and memtest shows no errors, but windows keeps crashing.

jjabrams

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I'm trying to upgrade the ram in my Asus U52F from 4 gigs to 8 gigs of Corsair DDR3 1333. I ran memtest86 for over 45 minutes and everything was fine (but strangely memetest86 reports that the ram is running at 2071 GHZ when it's not???)

When I try to boot 64-bit Windows 7, it will run for anywhere between 1 to 20 minutes before the screen freezes and shows this crazy pattern. Both 32 and 64 bit ubuntu seem to run just fine with websurfing and memtester running in the background.

So why won't windows play nice with my new ram?

jjabrams

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Thanks for the tip. I tried running the tool 3 different times, but after it finished running windows would crash on loading before I could see the results. :??:

Anyway, I don't understand how it could be the GPU's fault. The machine works perfectly with 4GB of ram. It only goes crazy when I upgraded the ram.

jjabrams

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

My BIOS doesn't give me that option. I can only choose "standard" or overclocked. (I went with standard)

jimlocke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

jjabrams, or anyone: Any updates on this issue, or solutions found? I have exactly this same problem, on the same model Asus. I used G.SKILL RAM. Sounds like it's less likely to be defective RAM after seeing your post.
I had no issues when going to 8GB on Ubuntu 10.10, but did in Win7 64-bit, and also am in Linux Mint 64-bit.

Thanks.

I also had problems with my RAM similar to this before I increased the voltage to 1.65v from 1.5v. It was annoying especially so since the RAM was marketed as 1.5v yet it increasing the voltage fixed everything. I also noticed Linux not caring but Windows would fail after a while.

The Linux I used was Tinycore 2.x (I don't remember what number the x was, it was a while ago).

jimlocke, did you try my suggestion to use the overclocked setting? jjabrams hasn't reported back on the issue.

missaini

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The machine works perfectly with 4GB of ram. It only goes crazy when I upgraded the ram.
g.gif

jimlocke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

I started a reply last night, but my machine crashed (because of the 8GB RAM), and I never finished it.
As has been mentioned, the BIOS settings for overclocking are very limited (assuming they are indeed for clock speed).
It appears you can only set it to Standard, Turbo, or Extreme Turbo.

I tried all 3 settings, and Win7 crashed within a few minutes after each setting.
I called Asus, and they claim no knowledge of issues with 8GB RAM.
Their only suggestion was to make sure BIOS is upgraded...I mentioned I had version 211, which is the latest.

jimlocke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
My issue is still occurring. I tried Windows memory diagnostic and memtest86 - both show RAM is fine (8GB).
I heard about primt95 (or maybe primt85) earlier - a memory tester, with a Linux counterpart.
Am going to try this tonight.

If this fails, I might possibly try going back one version with my BIOS. (should not matter, but organizations don't always test updates fully before releasing)

Otherwise, I may see about getting PC8500 speed RAM in exchange for my current PC10666.

Any other ideas?