SSD invisble for BIOS/win7

MrThomsen25

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello Community.

I have a problem, and ive practically done everything possible to solve. I now have to turn to experts to help me further.

I have a SATA 3 6GBS 240GB SSD, brand new!

Im trying to put this in a HP Elite Small Form factor 8100 PC.

The BIOS cant find the SSD and neither can windows..

So list of what ive tried already:

1.The SSD have been initialized, formatted and assigned drive letter from third party computer (friends) Worked instantly in his
2. 3 different 7 pin ATA cables.
3. 3 different ports tried
4. Updated BIOS to latest available by HP
5. Updated all possible drivers from HP support page
6. Tried IDE/ACHI/RAID
7. I have a seagate 250gb which i have win7 already on, i have tried to put this as primary, but the SSD is nowhere to be found in device manger
8. I have fooled around with boot manager
9.Clean install with win7 pro x64 (cant be found)
10. Shift+f10 with diskpart and list disk (not found)
11. Different 15 pin power supply

This SSD IS A GHOST!! :( It feels like it doesnt have power or something :cry:

i know for a fact that the SSD is 100% working.. This is driving me NUTS!

I would literally jump through the roof in joy if someone can tell me how to fix this.. :bounce:

MrThomsen25

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Point 1:

1.The SSD have been initialized, formatted and assigned drive letter from third party computer (friends) Worked instantly in his

Aldgee

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Hi
Just been through hell with same computer exactly (8100-win7 pro64-250gb HD etc.) This is what's in your future if you get it recognized.
SSD is a Samsung 840 120gb. Installed it and booted and it was found straight away. Cloned win7 install to SSD then found it won't boot. Bios sees it but no option to make it first drive. Did System repair disk and found the SSD OS which was put into Boot Manager. Then tried to get win7 to delete the original from the 250gb but it steadfastly refused to change the boot/system partition. Eventually used 3rd party tools to evict data and reformat then- System refuses to see SSD(no boot) at all. Not there in bios . I disconnected the 250 gb and rebooted and the BIOS asks for me to confirm changes to disks - SSD not in the list.
This the good bit- When I reconnected the 250gb hard drive it was there ! and so was the SSD !. ??????

I did triple check all power cables and sata connections.

Bad bit. HP bios will NOT boot from an SSD. Lots of tech forums discuss this in various threads(well now you tell me!)

The exercise of re-installing both drives and checking all connections are fully snug may cause the SSD to appear in the list on re-boot. May be bios madness or just a bad connection. You must disconnect both-boot-accept changes by pressing F1- shutdown- reconnect old drive and SSD - boot-accept changes again . At the reboot my SSD was recognized.

It worked for me. The SSD is now the OS drive but the boot partition (System *) is on the old hard drive.
How I got THERE is a long story indeed but I'll tell if needed.