Questions about setting up Highspeed Internet

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I live in a Basement appartment, and I dont know if my neighbor upstairs is capping my download speeds, or if rogers its rogers fault. I am connected to his router, and It has a heavy amount of encryption on it, so its definately just us that are using it. Im getting terrible download speeds, as low as 100KB per second which is only twice as fast a dial up.

I used to be able to get AT LEAST 1 Megabyte per second, so its about a 10th slower than It used to be.

Im pretty fed up with trying to play online games, or download a simply youtube video and have to wait ages.

Is it possible for me to get SHAW highspeed internet with a CABLE modem that hooks up to the coaxial cable? I am very certain that they use Cable modem upstairs.

I have a coaxial cable just sitting here... So can I hook up my SHAW while he runs his crappy rogers upstairs from the same cable? (I believe that they are splitted.)

Solution

In the US at least, I've heard more of the opposite, that cable is more likely to be capped than DSL. It does sound like line degredation, but it could also mean that something somewhere on the network is failing, for example a dying NIC could be broadcasting gibberish and that slows the network down. If your on wireless, that in and of itself is a problem because it could be a whole lot of things.

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
If you are sure about the modem upstairs being cable and not DSL, then you might be having signal degradation.

But from the sounds of it, your probably being capped by the service provider. I've heard of them capping DSL before but I never heard of cable internet being capped.

sk1939

Distinguished

In the US at least, I've heard more of the opposite, that cable is more likely to be capped than DSL. It does sound like line degredation, but it could also mean that something somewhere on the network is failing, for example a dying NIC could be broadcasting gibberish and that slows the network down. If your on wireless, that in and of itself is a problem because it could be a whole lot of things.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS