JamesJ

Hi. I have xp installed on 2 hard drives for dual boot. I try to change the
name of the os on D: but sometimes it doesn't get saved. Is there a
max on the number of characters one can use for the name? Or is it
something else I'm not familiar with.

Thanks,
James

Where are you trying to change the name?

The registry is limited to 255 characters. Actually, regedit.exe is limited
to 255 characters. The registry can have longer names, but regedit cannot
see them. They become invisible. Spyware is taking advantage of this flaw.

File names in XP can have up to 255 characters.

XP, XP SP1 and XP SP1a
The system PATH environment variable is limited to 1023 characters, plus the
terminating null character, for a total of 1024 characters.

For XP SP2 the PATH environment variable limit is increased to 2,048
characters.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes