Sign in with
Your question

Best time to buy board for AM3 processor?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 30, 2011 10:08:57 PM

Hi guys, so I flashed the wrong BIOS again, and it looks like this time, it's permanently dead. (no beeps) Ah well, all catastrophes open up a window of opportunity. The board was AM2+, and I have the AMD Phenom II 925 2.80 GHZ (Deneb). I'm probably going to buy a new board.

My question is, is now the best time to buy an AM3 board, or should I wait for a bit? Alternatively, what do you think of AM3+ board?

The motherboard that I'm looking at buying right now is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138318&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL083011&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL083011-_-EMC-083011-Index-_-AMDMotherboards-_-13138318-L04B

How is that price?

Feel free to post recommendations. The only thing I would like is AM3 compatibility and USB 3.0.
But... should I look for anything else? :p 

Thanks for your help
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 12:05:29 AM

Good board for your CPU. You will need to get DDR3 memory, which is real cheap right now. Make sure you get memory that is recommended for that board, mainly voltage and timings. As long as you plan on using only one GPU, you'll be good.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 12:16:05 AM

Did you try resetting the cmos battery? Look it up how to do it on your manual. It's usually shorting it out with a metal object between jumper 2 and 3 [not sure anymore]. Some people actually removes it. What is your budget anyway? Bulldozer is coming out next month.. and you need AM3+ motherboard not AM3.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 12:35:48 AM

+1 Remove the cmos battery.. Turn off pc for a minute and remove power cable. press on button to discharge any stored current in capacitors. Remove cmos battery for ten seconds.
Replace battery and pray. Now put the power cable back in and try to boot.

Plus there is really no reason not to get AM3+. The boards are comparably priced. So get the latest chipset. 990X looks pretty good.
m
l
September 1, 2011 3:37:33 AM

buzznut said:
+1 Remove the cmos battery.. Turn off pc for a minute and remove power cable. press on button to discharge any stored current in capacitors. Remove cmos battery for ten seconds.
Replace battery and pray. Now put the power cable back in and try to boot.

Plus there is really no reason not to get AM3+. The boards are comparably priced. So get the latest chipset. 990X looks pretty good.

I wouldn't quite say comparatively priced. The AM3 board that I'm posted in the original post is $45, which is half the cost of an AM3+ board. In your opinion, would it still be more cost effective to go with the AM3 board? Also, is now the best time to buy a board or wait until bulldozer is actually released?
m
l
!