Sign in with
Your question

Maybe PSU too low?

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2010 9:40:57 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this website but I've been having a few BSOD on my new computer. I purchased it from a company and the errors I've been getting are:

Memory_management
Bad_pool_header

Also a few others suggesting RAM could be the problem.

System specs:

AMD Phenom II 1055t x6 2.8ghz
1TB 7200 rpm hard drive
8gb ddr3 1600mhz corsair ram (4 modules)
Nvidia 9800gtx 512mb
400 watt psu

I have ran a memory diagnostic on the ram (2 modules at a time) and havnt found any errors so don't think that it could be them if the test is working. I'm currently using windows 7 x64.

Could these BSOD be purely from the psu not having enough power to run my computer? My gfx card has also changed windows to performance mode (without see-through fancy toolbars) whilst it's been on but it only flicks on for about 15 or so seconds then reverts back.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated as I'm really struggling to think of what the next step should be. Thanks guys.

More about : psu low

October 6, 2010 10:23:41 PM

Not sure if the power supply is causing all of your problems (bad memory slots maybe?), but you definitely need a better PSU. Your system will need somewhere between 400 and 450 watts at least. I would recommend getting something around 550W.
October 6, 2010 10:52:27 PM

BAD_POOL_HEADER is a memory allocation problem.

Do you have the correct motherboard chipset drivers installed? You haven't provided the make and model of motherboard in your system, so I can't provide anything more specific.
Related resources
October 6, 2010 11:51:53 PM

Also check the voltage, your motherboard may be giving the RAM 1.5V and the RAM may want 1.6 or 1.65Volts.
October 7, 2010 6:43:30 AM

I do have all my motherboard drivers installed as far as I am aware and the mother board I am using is ASUS M4A78LT-M.

I have tested the ram with memory diagnostics in both sets of ram slots on the mother board if that helps.

Not sure how to check the voltage my ram is receiving but I'm upgrading my psu when I'm home from work today and might even do a fresh windows install and see if any helps maybe.
October 7, 2010 6:48:02 AM

Another thing is I get the BSOD often when I download and I have trouble performing installation of software at times also like having corrupt or missing files.
October 7, 2010 7:02:09 AM

If the system is still under warranty, return it and make them fix it. If you try to fix it, they can void your warranty.
October 7, 2010 7:11:07 AM

Yeah it's still under warranty and it's the company that have told me to test the ram 2 modules at a time and are sending me a new power supply to fit and said if that didn't work they will collect that and give me a new one so I'm trying what I can at the moment mate.
October 7, 2010 4:41:00 PM

Somewhere in the bios it should say what voltage the RAM is getting and have a place for you to override that voltage manually.
!