Sign in with
Your question

Computer Novice Building First Computer

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2010 10:23:12 PM

Hello, all.
So I'm a complete novice at computer building (this will be my first one) so I have a few questions.
First of all, here are my specs (so far)(all on Amazon.com if you wanna look).

Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Phenom ii quad 965 Black Edition
(two sticks) Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 dimm ddr3 sdram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 card
Creative Labs SB0880 Sound Baster
WD 2TB Caviar Green SATA HDD
11-Bay ATX Transparent Blue Computer Case with 3 LED Fans
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

and that's all I have so far. If certain things aren't compatible and I didn't know, I apologize in advance and politely ask for it to be pointed out to me.

Anyway, my questions are:

1) are the fans included in the case enough or should I get liquid cooling/extra fans?
2) how big of a PSU am I gonna need for all this?
3) am I missing anything?
4) any other advice/feedback is greatly appreciated (critical and positve).
October 6, 2010 10:36:27 PM

1) The fans will probably be enough unless you plan on overclocking, but I can't be certain without seeing the case. Liquid cooling is never necessary unless you are doing extreme overclocking.

2) A 550W should do the trick, though you may want to go with a 650W for extra headroom (in case you want to crossfire that 5770 later).

3) You might want to get a faster hard drive (a Seagate Barracuda or Samsung Spinpoint F3, or a SSD) to use as a boot drive; the Caviar Greens are storage drives and very slow.

4) Crucial RAM isn't always the best. I prefer Mushkin or G.Skill.

You don't need a sound card unless you are an extreme audiophile. The HD audio integrated in motherboards these days is enough for almost everyone.

I would also consider waiting a couple weeks since the new AMD HD67xx series cards are slated to launch around October 15-20th and will probably drive down the prices on the 57xx cards if nothing else.
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:55:00 AM

Shadow_E_Skyy said:

Anyway, my questions are:

1) are the fans included in the case enough or should I get liquid cooling/extra fans?
2) how big of a PSU am I gonna need for all this?
3) am I missing anything?
4) any other advice/feedback is greatly appreciated (critical and positve).

1) They should be fine.

2) 650 Watt would do good.

3) Nope...

4) You do not need a sound card, wait for the 6XXX Radeon GPUs coming October 15-20th
m
l
!