Sign in with
Your question

The "Should I buy now or wait for SB?" threads!!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2011 4:08:05 AM

A quick perusal of the SB review on Anandtech and Toms would seem to indicate that the people who just bought i7 950s or 760s rather than waiting a few weeks are likely to be kicking themselves.

I for one am drooling and excited to be waiting to buy SB. Awesome benches it appears.

More about : buy wait threads

January 3, 2011 4:25:03 AM

hogan773 said:
A quick perusal of the SB review on Anandtech and Toms would seem to indicate that the people who just bought i7 950s or 760s rather than waiting a few weeks are likely to be kicking themselves.

I for one am drooling and excited to be waiting to buy SB. Awesome benches it appears.

We have to wait until the 9th before we are able to purchase these correct? I just want to make sure I have my fact straight.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 1:00:48 PM

Hence why I've been telling people for months to wait. Everything pointed to SB being this good.

AMD basically needs a ~$75 price cut across the board; they are really going to take a hit until Bulldozer comes to the rescue in a few months...Right now, the i5 2500k at $217 looks to undercut most everything else on the market...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 3:46:42 PM

gamerk316 said:
Hence why I've been telling people for months to wait. Everything pointed to SB being this good.

AMD basically needs a ~$75 price cut across the board; they are really going to take a hit until Bulldozer comes to the rescue in a few months...Right now, the i5 2500k at $217 looks to undercut most everything else on the market...

LOL, same here. I recall some posts here and elsewhere stating only "4%" or "< 10%" improvement over Nehalem - wonder where those guys are now?? :D . My guess was around 20% improvement; from the reviews and Intel's own press reviews, more like 30%.

It sorta looks like Intel pulled off another Conroe upgrade, at least from what I've read this morning. Probably a couple months before the most accurate picture emerges, but I now know that my decision to hold off on buying a new laptop was the correct one..
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 5:47:30 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
LOL, same here. I recall some posts here and elsewhere stating only "4%" or "< 10%" improvement over Nehalem - wonder where those guys are now?? :D . My guess was around 20% improvement; from the reviews and Intel's own press reviews, more like 30%.

It sorta looks like Intel pulled off another Conroe upgrade, at least from what I've read this morning. Probably a couple months before the most accurate picture emerges, but I now know that my decision to hold off on buying a new laptop was the correct one..

I've suspected as much for some time now, so I can't even say I'm shocked.

AMD has SERIOUS price issues right now, thats for sure...
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 5:52:00 PM

^ Yep, agree 110%. And if Ivy Bridge brings another 10-15% improvement in Q4 of this year, that is just going to add to pricing pressure since Intel will be able to cram in more transistors at the same die size or shrink the die and drop the price.
January 3, 2011 11:25:31 PM

Quote:
its already in the shops but only can be sold on release day. Maybe you can sneak one with a lockpick and a balaclava

Do we have a tentative date? I have been seeing and hearing the 4th, 5th, and 9th.
January 4, 2011 4:21:04 PM

I keep hearing the 9th although I did once hear the 5th.

the question I'll have is do I go i5 2500k (since I was planning on i5 760 anyhow) or do I go i7 2600 for the hyperthreading? Is HT that much better? (mostly media application for myself maybe light gaming with a single gtx460 card maybe.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 5:54:17 PM

fazers_on_stun said:

WTF? After looking over the reviews, I would say ~10% was a good guess. I'm looking at clock for clock performance increases mostly here, but just the untouched benchmarks show only a reasonable improvement. The i5 750+, i7 920+ processors can easily handle 4 GHz+. I've yet to see greater than 4 GHz clocks really translate to much.

Though, if you bought an LGA 1156/1366 system in the last couple of months, you should be kicking yourself.
January 4, 2011 7:34:59 PM

AMW1011 said:

Though, if you bought an LGA 1156/1366 system in the last couple of months, you should be kicking yourself.

And nobody trolling these boards should say they weren't warned!
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 7:45:16 PM

i was surprised by the performance os SB early reports said that SB would be replacing the mid grade chips, and had the i7 as the top processors still... obviusly the benchmarks put high end sb's beating most of the i7's which surprised me ... esp consideing high end sb are to scome out q3 this year
January 4, 2011 7:51:19 PM

g00fysmiley said:
i was surprised by the performance os SB early reports said that SB would be replacing the mid grade chips, and had the i7 as the top processors still... obviusly the benchmarks put high end sb's beating most of the i7's which surprised me ... esp consideing high end sb are to scome out q3 this year

Yep its confusing although Anandtech had a preview back in Sept I believe with benchmarks showing the lowly i5 2400 keeping right up with the current i5s and i7s.

It would appear that SB should put a HUGE dent in sales of 1366 mobos and related chips like i7 950. Why pay to get older tech on a dead socket when SB is faster? Perhaps only for people who want 2 vid cards although there are higher-end SB 1155 mobos that can do that too.....
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 7:53:06 PM

AMW1011 said:
WTF? After looking over the reviews, I would say ~10% was a good guess. I'm looking at clock for clock performance increases mostly here, but just the untouched benchmarks show only a reasonable improvement. The i5 750+, i7 920+ processors can easily handle 4 GHz+. I've yet to see greater than 4 GHz clocks really translate to much.

Yeah, looking at the AT benchies for the i7-2600K vs. the i7-950 (both are 4c/8t, 1 MB L2 and 8 MB L3, but base clock for the 2600K is 3.4GHz and 3.06 for the 950), it turns out that IPC is about 10.2% higher for the 2600K averaged over all the benchies. Raw improvement is 22.4% averaged over all the benchies.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 8:54:34 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
Yeah, looking at the AT benchies for the i7-2600K vs. the i7-950 (both are 4c/8t, 1 MB L2 and 8 MB L3, but base clock for the 2600K is 3.4GHz and 3.06 for the 950), it turns out that IPC is about 10.2% higher for the 2600K averaged over all the benchies. Raw improvement is 22.4% averaged over all the benchies.

Yep. Its exactly what I expected. A nice boost, but doesn't bring anything that a good i5 750+ quadcore processor can't give you.

I'm happy with them, but I just don't understand the huge hype these things are getting. I've seen someone refer to them as god given... They are just slightly faster processors in a market with processors that are already way ahead of software.

I'm also still not happy with this obvious money gouging, with the LGA 1155 BS. All so you have to buy a new motherboard.

hogan773 said:
And nobody trolling these boards should say they weren't warned!

I should probably add that, if you got a really good deal on an i5/i7 system in the last couple of months, it doesn't apply to you obviously. Like the guy who got an i5 760 and a nice motherboard for $250, and thought he made a mistake.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2011 9:32:15 PM

^ I was also looking at the SB review here on THG where MediaExpresso showed H.264 transcoding a video taking 22 seconds with SB's Quck Sync vs. 172 seconds without any acceleration (which would be sorta comparable to the 950 presumably since it doesn't have QS). That's about a 780% raw performance increase. And Arcsoft MC7 shows 41 seconds transcoding with QS and 95 seconds without.

AFAIK, the new pinout was necessitated by the on-die GPU and PCIe controller. Bulldozer will also need a new socket, as will Llano, so Intel isn't alone in 'gouging' the customers :p .
January 5, 2011 12:09:30 AM

This link has release dates saying Jan 9th for i5 and i7, feb 20th for i3 and Q2 for pentium Gxxx
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/675721.aspx

All I'll need is some advice on a motherboard for this beast i5 2500k. I haven't seen any prices on those though and that'll be part of the decision making.
!