Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Laptop D630 only half of the desktop screen is showing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2010 1:58:40 PM

I just purchased a used Dell laptop D630. It has a 60gb hard drive, window xp sp2. The laptop is booting fine with the original hardware came with it. But when I tried to install a new hard drive (80gb), it booted up and I can only see 50% of the screen, (can only see the left portion of the screen). Without seing the whole desktop screen it is hard to do anything with it.

Please help if anyone know what the issue is.

Thanks in advance.

More about : dell laptop d630 half desktop screen showing

a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:14:07 PM

Is it possible that you have the wrong desktop resolution selected? Try selecting a smaller desktop resolution and seeing if the rest of the screen shows.
Score
August 23, 2010 4:17:47 PM

Thank you for replying to my message. I have tried all the resolution setting that available and the problem still persists. Actually this issue is showing up when the system booting up and at the time the popup window was showing for me to enter the password, I couldn't see that window neither. I was waitng for so long then decided enter the password to see what happend, it took it and booted up then the same issue repeat.

I changed all the resolution settings that allowed but did not help.

Thank you for all the help in advance
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 4:19:45 PM

What happens if you plug it into an external monitor?
Score
August 23, 2010 4:26:31 PM

Thanks for the advise, unfortunately I don't have an extra monitor to check it with.

Thanks
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 224 D Laptop
August 23, 2010 5:23:41 PM

Does the original hard drive work OK if you put it back? Just swapping out the hard drive should not cause any graphic issues. When you say you can only see half the screen, it's like a cut off line in the middle where the image is fine on 50% and totally black on the other half?
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 224 D Laptop
August 23, 2010 5:44:55 PM

Quote:
also to add to 'hang-the-9 reply;
does installing the new HDD involve going in easily through the back or do you have to remove the keyboard and go through the top real carefully.?

I think what he ^ is trying to say "did you knock something loose"? It does sound like you did dislodge a cable connection somewhere. If putting in the old drive does not fix it, that's the issue. Unless the LCD itself went bad, but the cable is a lot simpler and cheaper to fix, so lets go with that for now.
Score
August 23, 2010 6:09:28 PM

Thank you all the advises, here is my answers for the questions earlier:

To answer 'hang-the-9' question1: Does the old hard drive work OK if you put it back?

Yes, I removed the new hard drive and put the old hard drive back and everything is working OK.

Question2: When you say you can only see half the screen, it's like a cut off line in the middle where the image is fine on 50% and totally black on the other half?

Yes, that is correct. I can only see 50% of the screen on one side, then the other side is black. Just like some on the desktop computer, soneone have adjusted or shifted half of the screen to the left. The right side is black.

malnental question: Does installing the new HDD involve going in easily through the back?

Yes, to replace the new HDD I just removed the two small screws on the back and removed the old one, then install the new one. I didnot have to remove the keyboard or anything else.

Thanks
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 224 D Laptop
August 23, 2010 6:15:47 PM

Well now, I'm a bit stumped. Putting in a new drive, in no way that I know off, would cause half of your LCD to shut off. I was pretty sure that you jarred something loose and that the old drive would have the exact same issue.

Unless the manufacturer somehow figured out a way to link it's "official" hard drives to the system so that any generic drive causes this failure. Hopefully someone else here can figure this out :-)
Score
August 23, 2010 6:24:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.

to answer dipankar2007ind:
Do u get the problem in bios and window safe mode ?

No, I don't have the same problem in bios mode. When the window booting up, I press F2 and it when into bios mode without any problem.

When you said the drive issue, do you mean the new hard drive is the issue, right?

Thanks
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 224 D Laptop
August 23, 2010 6:36:59 PM

Quote:
Its a driver issue.Do u get the problem in bios and window safe mode ?If the answer is no then reinstall driver if possible windows.

I don't know, what driver, even base VGA, would cut off half the screen? Don't think I ever seen that happen. Not that I'm ruling that out as the issue, but you should see a full image, just in a smaller area.
Score
August 23, 2010 7:07:44 PM

Thank you all for the help. I will try to find the graphic driver and un-install and re-install it. I purchased this laptop as a used one and it didnot come with any CD. I will update this post when I have done so.

Any advise for what type of graphic driver should I use or buy?

Thanks
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 7:28:56 PM

Easiest way dude. Go to dell.com then look under their support section. They should have a place where you can enter the service tag # of your laptop. Put that in and search. They should pop up a page that has every driver for your computer available. Not a huge dell fan, but at least they make it easy to find the drivers.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=...
Score
August 24, 2010 1:21:57 PM

Thanks for all the support again. The problem seem to be some thing else beside the graphics driver. I uninstall and restall the graphics driver did not help.

I compared the 60gb hard drive (original one, came with the laptop) and the 80gb hard drive, the different is that the 60gb one came with the laptop which utilized window xp and 80gb drive was configured on another laptop which utilized window xp professional. I wonder if that could cause this issue.

Thanks
Score
a c 177 U Graphics card
a c 224 D Laptop
August 24, 2010 1:52:08 PM

caoal said:
Thanks for all the support again. The problem seem to be some thing else beside the graphics driver. I uninstall and restall the graphics driver did not help.

I compared the 60gb hard drive (original one, came with the laptop) and the 80gb hard drive, the different is that the 60gb one came with the laptop which utilized window xp and 80gb drive was configured on another laptop which utilized window xp professional. I wonder if that could cause this issue.

Thanks

Ah you did not say that the hard drive was already setup on another laptop. As a few others have said, you want to install XP on that drive in the laptop it's going to be used in, then run the driver updates on that.
Score
September 3, 2010 2:47:07 AM

Best answer selected by caoal.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
September 3, 2010 2:31:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!