Sign in with
Your question

Need suggestions on i5-2500k

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2011 4:53:07 AM

OK so I am building a new computer. Heres what I am trying to get to.

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: August 31,2011

Budget Range: 1300 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA, Michigan

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Intel & Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes never did it before but willing to try.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes later

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Trying to keep it as future proofed as possible, quiet, and cool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I am questioning.

i5-2500k & ASUS P8P67 PRO 3.0 REV

ASUS GTX 570

This is what I have already bought.

NZXT Phantom WHITE

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

WINDOWS 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CM Hyper 212+]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065] CM Hyper 212+

Corsair HX850 PSU Modular

Spinpoint F3

SO basically I am having my doubts on the mobo and on the graphics card. The graphics card is a monster from the devil himself= HUGE. Also I heard the graphics card isnt that great of an overclocker. A lot of people having trouble with the voltage.The mobo I have heard a lot of people saying its a great board and others saying avoid it at all cost. The reviews are kind of in between.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas you guys can give me.

More about : suggestions 2500k

a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 5:53:46 AM

Don't buy that motherboard. Buy a z68 chpset motherboard instead. As for the video card I'm not sure I never had one.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 6:58:18 AM

If you're looking for a good overclocker, you'll want a card that can overvolt beyond what normal 570's can do. I don't know which ones can, but apparently the ASUS cannot.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2011 9:31:34 AM

i just bought my new Rig, i got the Asus P8Z68 -V Pro board, its Def the way to go! dont get the 67.
If you plan on going SLI later i suggest 1000W PSU :p .. i am yet to get new Gfx cards for my new rig, using my older HD5870 for the time being, i am considering going for 2 x Gigabyte GTX570 OC, its close to the GTX580 performance and the cooling is awesome.. Cuecuemore is right, choose your card/s carefully
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 1:22:34 PM

If you want future proofed you might want to know new CPUs are coming out over the next few months and into 2012 so you might want the i-72600K instead for more future proofing.

As for the motherboard look at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Won a lot of awards and looks solid with plenty of connectivity.
m
l
August 31, 2011 2:08:48 PM

blazorthon said:
If you want future proofed you might want to know new CPUs are coming out over the next few months and into 2012 so you might want the i-72600K instead for more future proofing.

As for the motherboard look at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Won a lot of awards and looks solid with plenty of connectivity.

I have that board and pretty much a similar setup that you are looking at. The 850W PSU has plenty of power to run 2 570s in SLI

My setup
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
i5 2500k
2 GTX 570 in SLI
8GB GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600
2 crucial M4 64GB SSD
Corsair 850W PSU

Also there's a microcenter in michigan you may want to look if you are near it. THat board is $109 after a mail in rebate and the processor is 179.99 when you buy them together.
m
l
a c 208 V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 3:18:02 PM

A 570 requires nothing more than 850 watts, anything beyond that is overkill. However, the 570 would not be my choice. For $440, twin 900 MHz 560 Ti's in SLI garner 862 fps in Guru3D's game test suite compared with twin 570's which get 873 fps for about $600 for the pair.

The factory overclocked units are the same price generally as the non OC'd ones and they come with oversized coolers and have more robust voltage regulation circuitry make them very easy to OC further. I have had great success with the Asus models, getting 7 of em to OC to 1000 Mhz w/o even touching the voltage... only one of them req'd an increase in voltage and it was just a single notch of an increase.

Twin 560's would require only a 750 watter and, giving you plenty of room with your existing 850.

As for the Z68 over the P67, from what I can see in your post, there's no real advantage to you for the Z68

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

Quote:
Launched 5 months after the P67 and H67 chipset the Z68 chipset combines the advantages of the H67 and P67 Chipset so that overclocking, dual dedicated graphics cards and use of the integrated CPU graphics is available. Whilst on the surface it would seem that this would be the chipset to go for, how many users that have 2 dedicated graphics cards will actually want to use the onboard graphics when they already have 2 more powerful graphics cards in their system anyway?

The only real advantage is for users that wish to access the HD graphics features such as quick sync, but considering it’s only supported by very few transcoding programs and there are not many people out there that need or will want to transcode, it makes it almost pointless to choose Z68 over a P67 chipset.

Same applies to users that want to overclock the CPU but use the onboard graphics card; it’s a very limited market.

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.
m
l
August 31, 2011 3:39:46 PM

blazorthon said:

The only thing the i7-2600K has over the id52500K is hyper-threading. For the uses the OP posted (Gaming, internet and movies) hyper threading is not needed, so by going with the i5-2500K he saves $100 which is the right thing for him to do.

Good call on the unlocked (K) processor also as this allows OC'ing which will help keep it up with the newer hardware down the road. I have the same CPU and have it OC'ed to 4.6ghz stable (had it up to 4.7ghz stable but backed it down a little as it was nearing my voltage limits).

As for the motherboard, I went with the Z68 myself. It has a couple of features that could be handy in certain circumstances (Like integrated video support if my video card dies at any point). A future-proof motherboard is what I was looking for also. I went with an ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 as it offered what I was looking for. The ASRock Gen3 series board were just released and support ivy bridge when it is released (i think all Sandybridge boards will support ivy bridge, but not positive) and it also offers PCIe 3.0 (ivy bridge needed to activate it on the board). There are no devices out yet on the consumer market that are PCIe 3.0 but it seems like the high end graphics cards are headed that way in the next year or two. Here is a link to the ASRock Gen3 boards on newegg:

The non Gen3 ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 is a Toms Hardware mobo pick, and so I am sure the Gen3 version of it should perform just as well. If you are eyeing the higher end ones keep in mind the Extreme7 only has one PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, and the Pro 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots. The Extreme 7 (with the NF200 chip) can run dual cards at 16x/16x and three cards at 16x/8x/8x. Lots of factors that you have to consider with these purchases. So far I like my Extreme7 a lot.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 9:20:27 PM

He wants the rig to last a long time. Today the hyper threading isn't a big deal but a year or two from now it may be since some games can utilize more than 4 threads already.

besides the 2600k can clock a little higher than the 2500k. Value wise right now the 2500k is better but games are using more and more threads so I still suggest the 2600k.

That extreme 7 does sound better than what I said.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 1:11:11 AM

I now have a GPU suggestion. the Sapphire TOXIC HD 6950 outperforms a stock 6970 and stock GTX 570 when it's fully overclocked on it's second BIOS for less than $300.00. For reference the 6970 costs much more and the 570 cost much more than the 6970 and they perform similarly.
m
l
!