Sign in with
Your question

MoBo failure?

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2011 5:53:26 AM

EDITED THIS ENTIRE POST, SEE BELOW:

So, I went to re-format, and now I can't even get past POST or boot to Windows.

I've attempted the following:

-Re-seating RAM (I've been told this could affect boot ups...)
-Re-doing the physical connections from PSU to motherboard and all other components
-Replaced the SATA cable
-Tried different SATA ports
-Removed/Re-seated CMOS battery

**UPDATE: Took it to GeekSquad just to have them take a look. They said they plugged the HDD into a MAC and saw directories, indicating a Windows 7 installation. But, my motherboard won't pick it up. I think I need to flash my BIOs but I need a bootable CD to DOS...suggestions, comments or concerns?

More about : mobo failure

January 3, 2011 8:48:39 AM

It shouldn't say primary slave if it is SATA hard drive. Primary slave is ment for ide hard drivers or roms. The problem you are saying seems like your bios gotten a cold. The only way to fix that is flashing the bios and putting a new one in, or buy a new motherboard that your hardware will be usable
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:04:35 PM

oh god here we go again

NOT A BIOS PROBLEM

sata to work in legacy or sometimes just for the hell of it it shows up as a master/slave device - thats normal, they dont run like that but can be listed as such - NORMAL

you sure you got a virus? or did your windows crap its self and you blamed a hardware fault on a virus?

TEST YOUR HARDWARE
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 3, 2011 12:57:53 PM

Did you tested your RAM?
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:20:43 PM

apache_lives said:
oh god here we go again

NOT A BIOS PROBLEM

sata to work in legacy or sometimes just for the hell of it it shows up as a master/slave device - thats normal, they dont run like that but can be listed as such - NORMAL

you sure you got a virus? or did your windows crap its self and you blamed a hardware fault on a virus?

TEST YOUR HARDWARE

It did get a trojan. So, I decided to reformat. How would you test your hardware? I'm asking for help because I clearly don't know how to.

@Malmental: I did get a new graphics card lately, a GeForce GTX260, I received from a friend who's not using it. The fans were spinning an awful lot, but it stopped after a while. No sounds from the motherboard when I turn it on. I did plugin my GeForce 8800GTS to see if that gets video. Then a sound came from the motherboard. Just one long sound. It's an ABIT IL9 Pro MoBo.

@Saint19: No, not as of lately. What's your basis for it though? I do have MemTest86. So, I could run diagnostics, but...I have no video.
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:36:06 PM

The most commune problem is the RAM, so, if you don't have video test it in another rig.
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:41:40 PM

saint19 said:
The most commune problem is the RAM, so, if you don't have video test it in another rig.

I don't have another PC available. I could goto BestBuy tomorrow and have them test the RAM, but even if that did come out alright, that doesn't tell me if the motherboard is shot...I mean, I would have to have them test nearly every component, because I surely don't want to pay for diagnostics
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:50:17 PM

Quote:
Disable windows updates its a hardware killer

Download hiron boot cd. its got hardware testers on it

A) He cant even get into windows.
B) Windows update doesnt kill hardware where did you hear that.

To the OP: Try burning Memtest86+ to a CD and let it run a few passes, if it succeds then your RAM is fine. If you cant even boot to CD that you may have a motherboard issue.

To get video try removing and reseating the video card, make sure if it has any extra power connecters that they are plugged in. If that doesnt work try another PCI-Express slot if you have one.
m
l
January 3, 2011 6:00:36 PM

Snipergod87 said:
A) he cant even get into windows.

To the OP: Try burning Memtest86+ to a CD and let it run a few passes, if it succeds then your RAM is fine. If you cant even boot to CD that you may have a motherboard issue.

To get video try removing and reseating the video card, make sure if it has any extra power connecters that they are plugged in. If that doesnt work try another PCI-Express slot if you have one.

A) True
B) Totally agree, Windows Update can slow down your rig but NEVER kill it.
m
l
January 4, 2011 12:43:51 AM

Snipergod87 said:
A) He cant even get into windows.

I've attempted to re-seat my graphics card last night, and it did not work. Tried a different PCI-E slot, no cigar. Used another card in both PCI-E slots, no cigar. It's weird, because I was beginning to lose video while switching the SATA ports to get my hard drive detected. For example, the first 3 ports would give me no video, but the one port I always used did. Don't know that if has any correlation, but I figured I'd mention it.
m
l
January 4, 2011 12:44:37 AM

Quote:
Disable windows updates its a hardware killer

Download hiron boot cd. its got hardware testers on it

I don't have Windows completely installed yet. It restarted my computer after its installation, and thats where all of this began.
m
l
January 4, 2011 11:09:02 AM

Can you try the clean installation with a different DVD but with your OS key?
m
l
January 5, 2011 2:56:10 AM

Guys...I don't have video. -_-
m
l
January 5, 2011 9:02:50 PM

Quote:
OK.
get a magnifying glass and carefully inspect your motherboard in good light for any blown capacitors or similar type damage.

Do you think it could just be that I deleted my hard drive's master boot record, and my motherboard is no longer recognizing hardware because of it, and I may need to flash my BIOs? It could explain why nothings working...
m
l
January 5, 2011 10:47:04 PM

I can't do that without video. And I can't get into BIOs, remember? Even if I had video, I still couldn't, that's originally why I posted.
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:05:15 PM

Well I wouldn't know the first thing about checking it for damage besides the obvious stuff, like if it smoked out. I've had my hand in this computer the whole time since it crashed, if the hardware was damaged, it couldn't have been anything drastic, because I was using it right when it happened. No smoke or, nothing "blew out" - but what would I be looking for? I have an ABIT IL9 Pro.
m
l
January 6, 2011 4:52:44 PM

Bump...still seeking assistance
m
l
January 6, 2011 7:09:14 PM

When I hit the power button, everything gets power. But I get no video. Yes, it's a dual PCI-E X16 Board. No, it's not ancient, the motherboard may suck, but everything else is relatively good.

GTX260 1GB Vid Card
500 GB Western Digital HDD
4.0 GB RAM / WINTEC AMPO
CORSAIR 650W PSU
INTEL CORE 2 DUO
m
l
January 7, 2011 1:02:52 AM

MoBo looks good, I checked it. I was able to get video back. But, I can't get into the BIOs if the hard drive is connected...and if it's not, I am able to get into the BIOs. Now, I had a friend look into it. He says either the SATA ports in the MoBo may be bad, or the HDD might be bad. But, he says to run a diagnostic utility to scan hardware for damages -- any recommendations?
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:12:05 AM

on your motherboard there should be a cmos batter, pull the cmos batter out and beside there should be 3 pins with a jumper on 2 of them switch the jumper over and boot the computer up. if nothing shows up put the jumper back to its spot before and put back the cmos battery. If that didn't solve the problem then there a problem with the motherboard. Bring it to best buy and get them to look at it
m
l
January 7, 2011 11:33:03 PM

If he doenst know alot about computers it would be best to take it to a computer shop and have them look at it or if he is still in school and has a class in computers ask his teacher to look at his computer. No i don't work at geek squad or any shop
m
l
January 7, 2011 11:39:20 PM

Theres seems to be a short in the motherboard. If your motherboard is still underwarenty i would call your motherboard manufactor and see if they can replace the board or if theres a solution to the problem
m
l
January 8, 2011 4:22:01 AM

Okay...well, ace. The solutions I've tried so far, is attempting to disconnect the cables from the CD-Rom drive to see if it'll bypass it and boot straight to HDD. Didn't work. Tried removing CMOS battery and that didn't work. I think I need to flash my BIOs. But, I need a bootable CD to DOS, and I've tried looking every where. Anyone know where or how I can get my hands on it?
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:51:11 AM

i would need the make and model number of your motherboard so i can see what bios tools you will need.
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:27:39 PM

I don't have another HDD available to test with. It's an ABIT IL9 Pro, ace.
m
l
January 10, 2011 7:50:13 PM

Ok, so I decided to pull out my hard drive to see if it even powers on. And, it does. So, the hard drive is getting power, but it's just not being recognized. I do have video again, so I'm available to a larger variety of options. What do you guys think?
m
l
January 10, 2011 8:59:04 PM

That was four days ago, and I didn't know how to test a hard drive. Besides knowing if it powered on, I wasn't aware that was a strong enough diagnostic utility to go ahead and say that its a bad HDD. I haven't changed any settings in BIOs -- so, what steps would I take assuming it could be fixed?
m
l
January 10, 2011 11:19:11 PM

Quote:
you need another HDD and then test it out by going through the install process of an OS, it can be a dummy install..

Well, rather than testing another HDD, what I've managed to do is connect my HDD to different SATA connectors on the controller. Nothing worked. It recognizes the hard drive, but has primary slave or secondary slave, etc. There's 4 connectors on my controller, each one of which isn't scanning the hard drive the way it should.

When my PC boots to post, it recognizes it first as "IDE Hard Disk", then it recognizes it (depending what port its on) as a primary slave/secondary slave. There's something wrong there. Additionally, the SATA cable, while seated into the port on the motherboard, jiggles from left to right like a loose tooth. It could be an issue of connectivity, in which case I'd have to use an external controller card...
m
l
January 11, 2011 12:56:55 AM

Well, the SATA cables I have are gray thin ribbons with black ends, which fit into the MoBo. I'm seeking to buy an external PCI card with connectors on it and give it a whirl. If the hard drive does in fact fail, I can have it exchanged through SeaGate's warranty exchange. Anyone recommend a PCI Sata Controller Card?
m
l
!