Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Card temps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 23, 2010 3:47:49 PM

What are acceptable and unacceptable temps for the EVGA Superclocked GTX#480?? I have mine in 3-way SLI and they seem to be running fine but I see alot of people having issues with their cards and temps.I just got the 2 additional cards 2 weeks ago.I do not run the games I play for long(usually a 20 min to an hour). I just wanted to make sure I am aware of any possible issues down the road by getting advice now.Ok my first check says that card#1 is running at 54c card#2 is running at 47c and card#3 is running at 37c.

More about : card temps

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:56:52 PM

The GTX 470/480 cards run very hot. nVidia says they are designed to handle very high temperatures. Even if you ran MAX temp of 94/95C you should be okay. :)  (If I recall correctly, they throttle down @ 104C?)

Your temps are actually quite safe, and are acceptable for any graphics card.
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 6:41:25 PM

seanny said:
What are acceptable and unacceptable temps for the EVGA Superclocked GTX#480?? I have mine in 3-way SLI and they seem to be running fine but I see alot of people having issues with their cards and temps.I just got the 2 additional cards 2 weeks ago.I do not run the games I play for long(usually a 20 min to an hour). I just wanted to make sure I am aware of any possible issues down the road by getting advice now.Ok my first check says that card#1 is running at 54c card#2 is running at 47c and card#3 is running at 37c.

I have to ask what kind of cooling solution you have, becuase three way SLI those are amazing temps for the 480s.

Hell those are good temps for a single 480.
Score
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 7:04:56 PM

@ Helltech, perhaps he lives in England ;) 
Those temps are fine but check them under load as well, just to be sure all is well.
Score
August 23, 2010 10:25:24 PM

Best answer selected by seanny.
Score
August 23, 2010 10:28:36 PM

coozie7 said:
@ Helltech, perhaps he lives in England ;) 
Those temps are fine but check them under load as well, just to be sure all is well.

I live in Delaware
Score
August 23, 2010 10:36:45 PM

Helltech said:
I have to ask what kind of cooling solution you have, becuase three way SLI those are amazing temps for the 480s.

I have a Lian LI PC-80 Armorsuit case. It came with 5 fans but I bought 4 extra ones.But the main fan that I have that cools down my whole rig is the highest rated and loud fan I have seen so far it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... review for it is under the name "MASON'S VENDETTA". I also have my rig above an air conditioner vent so the front 3 intake fans take in the cool air to the 1st PC Corp fan(the beast).I have a crazy looking set up but everything is going ok so far.I will run a Far Cry 2 test to see if it stays cool longer than 30 min.I play an average of 20 min to an hour it depends.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 11:31:01 PM

Of course with TRI-SLI GTX 480's, if he uses V-Sync those cards will never hit 100% load either. So that would keep temps down considerably too. :) 

Even still, impressive temps for a TRI GTX 480 setup. :) 
Score
August 24, 2010 8:16:16 PM

Helltech said:

Ok my first test was Call of Duty United Offensive (all specs turned up) Card1 is at 66c Card2 is at 57c ,and Card3 is 47c after 25 min of play.Of course this isnt a newer game but I had it in the drive.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 24, 2010 8:24:21 PM

37c on that third 480 is highly unlikely unless its snowing in the OP's room. I was messing around with a single GTX 480 last night with an ambient of 68F and the idle was 44c (jumped to 87c while playing BC2 for 30 min at stock clocks w/ v-snc enabled). I would love to see a screenshot of those temps =)
Score
August 25, 2010 6:03:40 PM

OvrClkr said:
37c on that third 480 is highly unlikely unless its snowing in the OP's room. I was messing around with a single GTX 480 last night with an ambient of 68F and the idle was 44c (jumped to 87c while playing BC2 for 30 min at stock clocks w/ v-snc enabled). I would love to see a screenshot of those temps =)

I just played Call of Duty 4 for an hour and the 1st card was at 81c,the second was at 74c and the 3rd was at 67c
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 6:23:43 PM

seanny said:
I just played Call of Duty 4 for an hour and the 1st card was at 81c,the second was at 74c and the 3rd was at 67c

Call of Duty 4 can run maxed out on a 100.00$ GPU, the reason that third card is running at 67c is because its not doing anything. Try testing a game like Crysis/Metro where it can actually utilize all 3 cards ;) 

Look at the difference when comparing a Call of Duty title to a game that will actually make use of all 3 cards :

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-480-3way-sli-...

vs.

vs.

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 11:39:43 PM

I kind of wondered a bit about what he was playing too OvrClkr. It's really what led me to my comment about using V-Sync, because it would limit the pressure on the video card and keep temps down. :) 

For instance, playing Bad Company 2 makes my GTX 470 really hot (and loud), where as Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl @ 125FPS doesn't do either.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 11:59:48 PM

jerreece said:
I kind of wondered a bit about what he was playing too OvrClkr. It's really what led me to my comment about using V-Sync, because it would limit the pressure on the video card and keep temps down. :) 

+1

And the fact that it will remove the screen tearing in the process, i don't see the point of 150FPS in a CoD series, with v-sync you get a better picture, less heat (just like you pointed out) and the input lag should be minimal if any.

Quote:

For instance, playing Bad Company 2 makes my GTX 470 really hot (and loud), where as Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl @ 125FPS doesn't do either.

I get around 60c at load when playing with v-sync enabled in BC2 w/ mild OC but once I disable the v-sync temps jump to about 69c. Crysis on the other hand takes the medal, with or without v-sync the temps can reach 70c (90% fan speed) when overclocked since the GPU usage hovers around 98% most of the time regardless.
Score
August 29, 2010 5:08:06 PM

OvrClkr said:
+1

And the fact that it will remove the screen tearing in the process, i don't see the point of 150FPS in a CoD series, with v-sync you get a better picture, less heat (just like you pointed out) and the input lag should be minimal if any.

Quote:

I get around 60c at load when playing with v-sync enabled in BC2 w/ mild OC but once I disable the v-sync temps jump to about 69c. Crysis on the other hand takes the medal, with or without v-sync the temps can reach 70c (90% fan speed) when overclocked since the GPU usage hovers around 98% most of the time regardless.

Wow! You were right about Crisis.Temps were high after 20 min of play. 1- 91c ,2-88c, 3- 83c
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 12:54:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!