Sign in with
Your question

LGA-775 recommendations?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2011 9:16:55 AM

Heyo. So I bought a PC back in mid-2004 that uses an LGA-775 socket, and has a Pentium 4. It's been in storage for the last 18 months (due to my living situation...only started living in an apartment again recently), and I'm looking to run it again. Assuming it survived the 18 month storage okay, I may look to upgrade the CPU, now that most games require Core Duos as a minimum CPU, and hopefully make it last another year or two before I plan on building a new unit. I was thinking the Core 2 Quad, but I'm uncertain whether that would be too much money for too little power improvement over the Core 2 Duos. What would you suggest?
January 3, 2011 9:36:11 AM

You should look at the CPU support list found on your motherboard manufacturer's website...most probably you will only be able to upgrade to a Pentium D at most, and that will not cut it for most of today's games unless you run them at lower detail levels. It's probably best to buy a new motherboard, especially if your current one only supports AGP graphics cards and DDR1 ram...
January 3, 2011 9:42:03 AM

I definitely recommend getting a new system. If you were using a Core 2 Duo system you could upgrade it, but a Pentium system simply won't be able to meet the requirements of modern games, no matter how much you upgrade it. Intel's Sandy Bridge processors are coming out, so I suggest that you build a new system as soon as they are released so that you will have a more future-proof PC.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 10:30:57 AM

You can get a new mobo/CPU/RAM/video card for under $300 and reuse the other parts.
January 3, 2011 7:18:01 PM

I should clarify some things, maybe because of the added variables:
My mobo uses an Intel 925X Express chipset, and I'm on PCI Express (admittedly, it's first gen, but still). My CPU is a Prescott Pentium 4. Given that it uses an LGA 775 socket, unless the mobo is incapable of handling anything more than a Pentium D for some reason, I don't see how this is a problem (I'm unfamiliar with those particular details involving mobo chipset/CPU compatibility)
I can't spend a lot of money right now, thus I can't really build a new system, especially one that's future-proofed with the Sandy Bridge CPUs/chipsets. And I'm not going to do a mobo/cpu/video card overhaul because that's close to the same thing, and the PC (which was bought, not built) has a chassis I'd be happy to do away with. I'd rather have something that could tide me over until I've saved enough to build something new.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2011 7:44:35 PM

onigami said:
I should clarify some things, maybe because of the added variables:
My mobo uses an Intel 925X Express chipset, and I'm on PCI Express (admittedly, it's first gen, but still). My CPU is a Prescott Pentium 4. Given that it uses an LGA 775 socket, unless the mobo is incapable of handling anything more than a Pentium D for some reason, I don't see how this is a problem (I'm unfamiliar with those particular details involving mobo chipset/CPU compatibility)
I can't spend a lot of money right now, thus I can't really build a new system, especially one that's future-proofed with the Sandy Bridge CPUs/chipsets. And I'm not going to do a mobo/cpu/video card overhaul because that's close to the same thing, and the PC (which was bought, not built) has a chassis I'd be happy to do away with. I'd rather have something that could tide me over until I've saved enough to build something new.

Typically 925X chipsets do not support Core 2's. If you know the motherboard model then look up the supports CPU list on the manufacturers website, it will list the processors that work.

Core 2's typically need 965 chipsets or newer.
a c 83 à CPUs
January 3, 2011 7:58:56 PM

925 doesn't support C2D. 975 and 965 do, and second gen 945 can as well. 925/915 can't support C2Ds.

Time for a new system.
January 3, 2011 8:15:01 PM

I'm just curious: Why is that?

(Again, can't afford a new system right now)
a c 83 à CPUs
January 3, 2011 8:26:53 PM

The CPU voltage regulators. Basically the mobo cant provide the small voltage that the C2Ds want.
January 3, 2011 10:37:27 PM

Ah. Thanks for the input.
!